Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • BMW cars – overrated POS
  • daveh
    Free Member

The attitudes of some folk on here, pro or against BMW, are enough for me to be put off one. But are there any reliable family motors out there, without stupid stuff like electric handbrakes, which are decent to drive? My last car was an Octavia, my present is a mondeo, and I just cant see anything out there to replace it. Nearest so far would be another mondeo. My perfect car would be decent to drive but one that illicits absolutely no response when you tell people that’s what you drive.

donsimon
    Free Member

My perfect car would be decent to drive but one that illicits absolutely no response when you tell people that’s what you drive.

Grow a thicker skin, poppet?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@Turnerguy You’ve posted that far-fetched drivel before, sounds like you “your mate” can’t drive.

I might post it again one day 🙂

but at least I didn’t post the story about the night it was raining very heavily and an aquaplaning 3 series bounced off the central reservation in front of me, followed by seeing several more 3 series pulling over to the hard shoulder. but there I just blame the computers and the traction control.

not a great driver myself, just appreciate a car that is nice to drive after having learnt to drive on my dads alfa 1750 gtv.

5 series is a little heavy to be a ‘drivers’ car, but it craps all over the competition.

not sure if the lexus 400 he got after his string of 5 series is competition, but that was a much nicer car.

not saying that some BMWs aren’t good cars, it is the perception that they are all fantastic that is questionable.

falkirk-mark

Depends on what you call a decent drive I have a citroen c5 thats about as comfy as you can get and it can still get form A to B and not be too shabby. Plenty guys I work with have/had them (BMW)and would not say they have any less problems than any of the other makes (except the other makes could be used in the ice and snow)

daveh
    Free Member

Grow a thicker skin, poppet?

Thanks, that rather supports my point.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks, that rather supports my point.

You’re welcome.
    Let us know what car you’re thinking of purchasing next and the STW massive help you form your own opinion on it. 😀

s
    Free Member

Ive got to agree with some of the comments up there.

I held the lap record at my local karting track for quite a while, and I passed my test with only 2 minors, so I know Im a decent driver.

I only drive an old Honda Civic, yet I seem to regularly get stuck behind families in BMW’s on the popular tourist roads in the lakes. I cant understand why these people dont want to drive like a **** like I do, especially when they’re on holiday with their families. I would have thought the fact that they’re such good “drivers cars” would encourage the owners to drive like a ****.

Are you for real? 😯

skywalker
    Free Member

Nope, he was just being a cock.

charliemort

not really surprised that all kicked off!

for the record:
    – yes it has fsh
    – i know it’s history and am as sure as you can be its not been clocked
    – yes I know you take a chance with older cars
    – general research I did (including on here) suggested they are pretty solid

but what I am surprised about is that the 2 major faults it has developed are a) very common; and b) imho pretty major design flaws not consistent with its reputation

but – like – whateva……….

FuzzyWuzzy

My 330 has been going fine for 10 years (only 82k miles, generally short trips so a hard life). Can’t really complain, it’s only failed to start once and that was with a flat battery after a ferry crossing I’d forgotten to disable the alarm on. Few minor bits have needed doing over the years + brakes which wasn’t exactly cheap but well under a grand. Only real annoyances are the rear parking sensors playing up for several years (corrosion) and the door/roof trim keeps coming off (known issue on the coupes) oh and the HK stereo upgrade was a waste of money thanks to the rattly rear sub (again a known issue).

daveh
    Free Member

You’re welcome.
    Let us know what car you’re thinking of purchasing next and the STW massive help you form your own opinion on it.

Once passed the usual balls and banter, STW can provide good info so I will be doing that. Getting the opinion of real owners is a better bet than the manufacturers marketing nonsense. I’ve no interest in buying a brand, or lifestyle, or perceived status, just a decent car.

frepster
    Free Member

My brothers 59 plate 520d has had 2 alloy wheels replaced under warranty as they had cracked. IVe never heard anything like this, they arent even the low profile options. Could be a faulty batch I suppose.

butcher

My brothers 59 plate 520d has had 2 alloy wheels replaced under warranty as they had cracked.

Watchdog did a feature on this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/10/bmw_alloy_wheels.html

iainc

I had an 03 plate mazda 6 and all 4 alloys were replaced under warranty, so it can happen to even top reliability japanese ones too 😆

legend
    Free Member

The gf’s parents had to replace all four wheels on their LWB Shogun after they cracked! Apparently it can happen to anything

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘BMW cars – overrated POS’ is closed to new replies.