Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • BMW 5 Series Touring
  • surfer
    Free Member

Need a replacement for my C class estate (2011 and 130k) which i have had from new (well 4k on the clok when we bought)

Trouble is its been absolutely brilliant. Test drove a couple but most of what I have looked at doesn’t even feel as good as my 7yr old Merc, paying £20k> isnt an attractive proposition. I tend to buy and keep so nearly new is quite a good policy for us, take the hit on depreciation but run for 5yrs + then trade in.

Drove a 3 series touring (like estates for dog/caravan and general practicality) on Saturday and was really underwhelmed. it was a saloon and a manual but all they had, which is fair enough for first drive but the gearbox felt notchy and the interior was pretty naff and plasticity. Smooth to drive and felt well screwed together but not someting I want to drive for the next 5+ yrs.

Asked to drive a 5 series however and that was fantastic, bottom line being does anyone have any long term experience of one of these??

Cheers

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I have an F11 530D, which to non BMW types is the 5 series touring.

We’ve had it a year and it’s my daily driver and has done multiple European trips. The main one being 3000 miles, with my wife and two dogs. It’s never missed a beat on those journeys. I picked the 530d because I felt the 520d to be underpowered. The 3 litre is smooth and powerful even when fully laden (Belgium last month, 4 blokes, 70 bottles of wine, lots of beer and luggage). The adaptive air suspension means the ride stays pretty good. You wouldn’t even know you were loaded up. Field economy is what you’d expect from a nearly 2 ton luxo barge but I’m happy with it. Check out forum.bmw5.co.uk for loads more info.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheers Andy

I was really impressed on the test drive (it was the 2.0lt D) Unlikely to need the extra power and it is actually quite large for occasional family duties but the economy and running costs seem great. Looking to spend around £25k for a sub 10k model.

andybrad

m5 touring!

retro83
    Free Member

I had a 5 touring for a few days, great car, really liked it.

However, do bear in mind the size.  It was literally the same width as a lot of parking spaces I wanted to use and overhung length ways.  Bit of a nuisance if like me you are paranoid about people whacking it with their doors.

For reference I had a quick look on automobiledimension.com and it’s about 14 inches longer and about 4 inches wider than your model of c class estate.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mates got a 5 series saloon and seems to love it. Its a 520 sport model, he has no issues towing his big caravan with it. I guess it could be a bit quicker, but in reality it’s perfectly quick enough and torquey enough for towing a big caravan so sentiments of “I need the 530d as the 520d feels a bit underpowered” really isn’t about the 520 not being quick or torquey enough, but simply about some people just wanting as more umph…which I get and if I were in the market for a 5 series I’d be targeting the 530 too. So for me if I were currently looking to replace the family wagon I think the 5 series would be top of the list. The wife has a 1 series as its an impressive car, just different enough from the competition to be interesting, not too externally bling to be too showy and grotesque unlike the current Audi’s and Merc’s and just a chuffing good car, and I’m sure the 5 series would be in the same mould.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Interested to understand why the 3 which you test drove was so underwhelming compared to the 5? Presume the interior would be the same, depending on the trim level selected, and the gearboxes are likely to be the same or similar too, depending on engine. The 3 is a much smaller car which I thought drives brilliantly. Not driven a 5 but I would imagine it handles a bit like the massive heavy lump which it is. By all means go for the 5 if you want to be getting multiple bikes in it regularly or want to waft along in smooth comfort, but to chose the 5 over a 3 for driving quality seems a bit strange to me.

I’m stuck between the two for my next car – love everything about the 3 series touring other than it’s ability to take bikes in the back. I might just accept that compromise though, as I might as well get a V70 if it’s just down to having loads of space.

Kryton57

love everything about the 3 series touring other than it’s ability to take bikes in the back.

I have current 3 series touring (F31) 2.0D.  I think it has a remarkable unfussy interior, and the auto box is the on to get.  I can get 2 bikes in the back with camping gear – the current shapes is supposed to be the same size as a 2010 (I think, I may be wrong) 5 series.

Auto box and NRFLT tyres for the win, mine wafts very nicely.

surfer
    Free Member

I think part of it was that the test car was a couple of years old. interior was really disappointing and quite plasticy and bland. The 5 was definitely what i am used to in the C class. comfortable quiet and smooth (plus an auto and the tester was manual)

Not that the 3 series wasnt those things to a large extent just not very appealing inside as the 5. the test car wasnt the one i was looking for but I actually prefer my C class to that one, which was around 5 yrs newer. Thats saying a lot given mine has 130k on the clock!!

People rave about the 3 series being a “drivers” car. im a driver and the 5 appeals much more to me.

surfer
    Free Member

Yes i am going for the auto box. Got used to that now 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Why do you have to change if you like your current car?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

“Why do you have to change if you like your current car?”

+1

the depreciation on your new vehicle will be greater than the slightly increased running costs on running an older vehicle (unless you’re really unlucky).

If you like your current car & have no need to change (for a bigger/smaller car) id keep it, personally.

(im running a 2008 / 184k Alfa Romeo, the ~small increase in servicing costs is far cheaper than starting the loan / depreciation cycle again).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Assume this is the new jelly mould version?

No idea, I have owned the soap bar version Sport Tourings in 530d autos…

Kryton57

the depreciation on your new vehicle will be greater than the slightly increased running costs on running an older vehicle (unless you’re really unlucky).

I must admit, I bough my current 3 series with this in mind…

surfer
    Free Member

Keeping my current car is an option and I may do this I suppose a slight concern that something will go wrong which costs a lot. It has a full service history and drives superbly and is worth almost nothing in terms of part ex.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Keeping my current car is an option and I may do this I suppose a slight concern that something will go wrong which costs a lot.

Whatever that cost will be will be a fraction of the cost of a new car! Why not treat it a bit (suspension and ARB bushings and new springs/shocks can transform an older car – why not a full pro valet and machine polish to make it feel like new again?) and try to find common things that fails and head them off at the pass

It has a full service history and drives superbly and is worth almost nothing in terms of part ex.

It’ll still be worth a decent amount but mainly you know you’ve looked after it and you know what might be to come. I have seen more modern luxury vehicles fail a fair bit nowadays – but as they have warranty it doesn’t matter so much.

tall_martin

I’ve just bough a 2014 3 Series estate (335d).

I tried a 2015 5 Series estate (530d).

The 5 seemed a bit quieter. On the test drive it is the only car I’ve ever driven that felt heavy, there was some stuff going on in the corners that surprised me. I was sure I’d get used to it quickly enough.

The interiors looked identical, just the 5 had more space.

The 3 seems pretty massive to me! Todays my first decent lenght of drive, its great.

colp

My wife has a 520d M sport saloon.

It’s lovely to drive, combined economy somewhere in the high 40’s. First weekend we had it we drove to visit friends in South Wales mainly on A roads and averaged 62mpg on the computer.

The interior is classy without the Merc style tacky bling.

In sport mode you can really feel the suspension stiffen up.

anagallis_arvensis

Keeping my current car is an option and I may do this I suppose a slight concern that something will go wrong which costs a lot.

Then go to look at your own next point, its worth almost nothing, bin it and then look at spending 25k

It has a full service history and drives superbly and is worth almost nothing in terms of part ex.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ex F11 525d M-Sport Touring here, which did 100k as a company car just fine. Came out of scheme, thought it would be a good idea to be more frugal & get late E91 M-Sport touring (3 series). It was tiny inside by comparison. And rubbish. I sold it before it cost me a lot of money.

The 5 series was a much nicer place to be, in every respect. I do some reasonable mileage, so I don’t need a go kart.

I’d steer clear of the 2.0d engine, as they have a very chequered history, otherwise they are pretty good in my experience. The air ride rear shocks on the early cars was a bit rubbish & very expensive to fix however.

Now driving a Skoda Superb, so clearly in no position to comment 🙂

bails

Whatever that cost will be will be a fraction of the cost of a new car!

I had a car salesman trying to tell me that I should spend £12,000 on a new (to me) car because it was £100 less per year to tax than my current one. I’d only have to keep it for 120 years to break even!

Alex

I’ve had a 520D touring since December. Coming from my Yeti with its 1.2 litre engine, I’m perfectly happy with the power of the 2.0! It’s been a brilliant motorway cruiser which is most of what I do, takes the bike with a wheel off and is super comfy for both drivers and passengers. Stuff I really like

– the whole digital dash thing (not sure when this came in tho)
    – the satnav – I wasn’t sure why BMW bothered to develop their own when google etc is pretty good. But with the traffic/re-route software its’ really very good
    – engine is smooth and powerful enough for me. Auto gearbox is unnoticable
    – its’ fun for a big car on the A roads, doesn’t roll much but I’m not ever going to push it that hard
    – good build quality mostly (see below), adaptive lights (option) are brilliant
    – 50MPG average. It would be a lot less if I used it a lot in town traffic

Stuff I don’t like so much

– Paint feels thin. Maybe because it’s black metallic but it really shows the scratches and seems to scratch very easily.
    – Infotainment (I think that’s what we use to call the stereo) isn’t great. Bit low volume and not that good generally. Fine for audiobooks which is 90% what I listen too tho
    – couple of rattles/issues with seat heating that got sorted quickly but not what you’d expect from a new car
    – 19 inch wheels (I bought mine pre-reg so didn’t have a choice) which make the ride a bit harsher
    – it’s a big car. Parking after driving Yeti’s for six years took a bit of adjustment!

I’m glad I bought the SE. It’s a bit softer but I like that. Overall I’m really happy with it.

samuelr
    Free Member

The 3 series feels a bit cheap compared to a 5 because they are. The 5 is a big step and where quality starts in the bmw range.

legend
    Free Member

The 3 seems pretty massive to me

Think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen/heard that comment in relation to a 3-series

footflaps

– the satnav – I wasn’t sure why BMW bothered to develop their own when google etc is pretty good. But with the traffic/re-route software its’ really very good

Developed by a pair of ex colleagues in Cambridge. They wanted a differentiator over Mercedes etc. Possibly a bit redundant now everyone has smart phones / Apple car play etc.

surfer
    Free Member

I was in the showroom so obvs looking at the rrp but the £40k price tag for the 5 included a lot of kit as standard. The only thing I would like (but not pay for) that it didnt have was folding mirrors. not essential of course.

The 3 series on the other hand was creeping up to that price with the auto box etc and in my view they are miles apart in terms of how they drove (neither bad I hasten to add) but the 5 felt like a step up in luxury and build.

Kryton57

The 3 series feels a bit cheap compared to a 5 because they are. The 5 is a big step and where quality starts in the bmw range.

Whilst that may have been true prior to the F30/31 and they certainly did take a dip in quality and design, its not so the case now.   Yes, the 5 its a bit more of a mature floaty tourer and mid to top end has a few more bits, but a decent spec 3 series F31 is a very nice place to be.  Just read some reviews.   I think the main issue is that a high spec F31 is knocking on the door of a 5.  Just don’t buy a new one then.

Alex

Developed by a pair of ex colleagues in Cambridge. They wanted a differentiator over Mercedes etc. Possibly a bit redundant now everyone has smart phones / Apple car play etc.

Possibly. I wouldn’t pay for the subscription if it wasn’t thrown in. It did strike me as a bit of irony that the subscription was free but I have had to pay for ApplePlay to be turned on. I guess they really want you to use their stuff.

Mine didn’t come with folding mirrors (well you can do them manually). But now I’d swap for the adaptive lights as I said before. They are fantastic. There’s nothing else I’d like in mine, I did look at the Head Up Display and a few other options but I’ve not missed them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to have a 3 Touring, and thought it was a really good car, certainly it drove really well, not many estates manage to drive as well ie like a sports car. Yes the interior isn’t quite what you would expect if paying £40k but most people don’t pay anything like that as they are lease or company cars.

The very latest generation 5 series is definitely a step up on the dashboard/interior over a 3, but the last generation 5 not so much so.

A

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bloody annoying forum! (Doesn’t let you write properly on an iPhone )

Anyhow – 520 powerful enough. 530 a nice  amount of power.

Personally I prefer the 3 over 5 because it does drive better around corners.

However the new 5 is a lovely place to be on longer less involved drives

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s done it again !!!!

😡😡😡

I never ever use in built sat Nav it’s crap compared to google

Flaperon

Had a 530d as a hire car a couple of years ago. Struggled to get to grips with iDrive but the giant navigation screen was great.

Gearbox good, very nannying about driving style etc. Better turning circle than Volvo V60, but then so does a super tanker. It’s a big car but boot seemed fairly compact.

Firm ride and my bottom fell asleep on long journeys.

Northwind

It’s on my shopping list but I’ve been sucked into some sort of upwards spiral where I’ve gone from wanting a 530d, to a 535, now to an LSI 535d or the 545. And there’s perfectly good resaons for this but basically every time it adds on a little money and a load of miles. And now I can’t think myself back down to the no-doubt perfectly excellent 530.

benp1

I nearly always use built in sat nav, although I don’t have a built in sat nav than can take a 7 digit postcode!!

I had an old (E61) 5 series estate, miss that car, it was fantastic. So many trips and adventures in that thing. My wife drove it to germany and back with her friend once, I took it all over the UK

Currently have an E class estate, which is very nice but definitely not as much of a drivers car

mst
    Free Member

I’ve had my 2010 530d for 5 years now.

They’re wide, not massively wide that it causes a problem, but you will notice it. The turning circle is not so great either. Mines been through an airbag, and a diesel pre-heater unit (I think). I don’t do motorways that often and the combined MPG is 38-ish

Lovely car, comfortable, not thinking of getting rid of mine anytime soon.

onewheelgood

Have you tried an Audi A6 OP? If you’re thinking of a 5 it’s worth trying one. Still a few very good deals around on the run-out model.

surfer
    Free Member

I would have bought another C class, its the Mrs that wanted to look at the BMW. Draw the line at an Audi 🙂

5lab

have you had a look at the new v60\v90? they’re bloody lovely inside

hodgynd
    Free Member

+1 for the A6..

Just bought a 2015 plate Allroad ( 272) …brilliant car !

oldtennisshoes

Have you tried an Audi A6 OP? If you’re thinking of a 5 it’s worth trying one. Still a few very good deals around on the run-out model.

I went from a 2015 F31 (320d xdrive touring) to a new A6 Avant Quattro in May when the BMW was written off.

The A6 is OK, but I don’t like it as much as the BMW. In hindsight, I should have ponied up for the 5 series touring xDrive – which is what I will replace it with in 2 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘BMW 5 Series Touring’ is closed to new replies.