Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BMW 5 2.0D, those £30 tax versions
  • MadBillMcMad

I (don’t think) I’m bothered about performance coming from driving a 110.

Probably buying with cash.

My annual mileage is sub 10k

What are people’s experiences and thoughts?

angeldust
    Free Member

New/used?  Is the low tax a particular concern/attraction?….because compared to depreciation and running costs…..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

And no 2.0 diesel will be £30 tax or if they are now they won’t be for long.

I would be more concerned about whether you drive in large cities ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

A mate has one, it’s a 2ltrD SE version and it’s really nice, plenty enough “power” when you need it and returns about 45mpg which he’s happy about.

Only issue lately he’s had is £700 for replacement “angel headlight” on the left side.. And he’s still smarting about the cost, complains nearly every time I see him ;-0

Other than that, he gets 2 windsurf boards and sails in it easily, plenty of room and nice to drive.

I’ve owned the previous generation 530D Sports, both were awesome but obviously the previous gen..

breadcrumb

And no 2.0 diesel will be £30 tax or if they are now they won’t be for long.

My 2012 318d (2.0) is £30 VED. IIRC the tax bands have changed from that era now. I’m expecting it to creep up at some point.

FWIW my OHs 1.0 Fiesta is £0 VED which isn’t available now unless you go full electric.

matt_outandabout

My annual mileage is sub 10k

and

2.0D

Do not play well together. What you save in tax, or think you may save in better mpg will be wiped out by increased maintenance costs.

bentandbroken

Similar to Bikebouys comment I am about to go and fetch my replacement parcel shelf for my 5 series tourer. Luckily it’s a warrantee replacement otherwise I would live with the broken one and spend the £780.00 on something more interesting!

As for ‘power’ – It’s fine. Slightly more sluggish than a 2.0D VW Passat Estate, but fine for everyday motoring

PS – And mine also easily accommodates plenty of windsurfing kit 😀

matt_outandabout

FWIW, my new V70 D3 is a 5-pot Volvo engine, 2.0lt and also £30 tax.

Around town it is not as efficient as the old Galaxy that had Ford/PSA 2.0tdci, Galaxy perhaps got 30-35, Volvo maybe 30. Long runs the Volvo is far better – 45-50 (indicated as 53+), Galaxy only 40 tops (indicated as 55…!).

I have bought it as I do 20-25k a year, with at least two long journeys a week. For this it works, and makes economic sense and if I can run it as long as possible, reduces environmental cost. The long runs will keep it cleaned out and working well.

I have little petrol Seat Ibiza estate for local / town / cities etc Again I bought that based on maintenance cost, so simplest engine I possibly could. Again, part of this is maintenance cost on it for local journeys – no turbo, clutch is £75 not £500 DMF, no EGR etc etc.The tax is £140, but so what when I am three years in an done nothing but tyres and service? I bet if we had used a modern diesel in that time we would have had bills, and possibly big bills for EGR and DPF.

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2012 520D (Msport),

def not £30 tax.  Whilst it’s been brilliant over the last 80K miles, it’s now got an EGR fault and low rail pressure warning, which frustratingly came on rather quickly after the main service..  I’m sure it’s unrelated, but i’m hoping the EGR replacement will do it (about £300 with labour i think)..  Still drives fine.

MadBillMcMad

Yeah, the 10k a year certainly points at alternatives.

700 for a light unit, blimey.

Might try and persuade Mrs Mad to stick with the 110

bensales
    Free Member

There 10k miles per year, and there’s 10k miles per year.

If it’s all motorways, then an oil-burner makes sense.  If it’s all town, then it doesn’t.

oldtennisshoes

If you are looking new, then consider an Audi A6. Some great deals around on the current model as it’s about to be replaced.

Daffy

BMW offered me £9k dealer deposit contribution toward a new 520d…

Inbred456
    Free Member

My 3 yr old seat 2.0D is £30 year tax at the moment. Just driven to Lincolnshire from Durham 135 miles 58mpg indicated at an easy 70mph approx. If you do the miles a diesel is your best choice if you pootle about short journeys go for a petrol. Walk and cycle as much as you can.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Don’t know why people get so hung up on VED costs to determine their car choice and aiming to buy the lowest costing one. It’s a tiny overall cost of running a car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BMW 5 2.0D, those £30 tax versions’ is closed to new replies.