Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BMW 130i – anyone got one? Highlights? Things to look out for?
  • Mintyjim

I want something a bit of fun to replace my Citroen DS3 Sport (1.6T) that goes back in March, thinking of the 130i.
    Can’t find anything really negative to say about it.
    Anyone on here have any experience?
    I have a Volvo T5 estate for mountain biking duties so I#m not concerned about the space etc.
    Thanks

GJP
    Free Member

New or s/h. Sounds like new?

If new have you considered the A3 S3 Sportback or even the RS3. Not knocking the BMW but when I was looking (albeit 5 years ago), then pound for pound the Audis were far better specced and have a much better tactile feel of quality.

I did enjoy the BMW to drive, but the Quattros are also fun around corners 😆

Perhaps s/h the price / equipment differentials begin to even out?

legend
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the 130i specifically, but recently bought a 118d. Even that’s good fun so so the 130 should be cracking.

Only -ve so far is the distinct lack of cup holders 🙄

If new have you considered the A3 S3 Sportback or even the RS3. Not knocking the BMW but when I was looking (albeit 5 years ago), then pound for pound the Audis were far better specced and have a much better tactile feel of quality.

I did enjoy the BMW to drive, but the Quattros are also fun around corners

conversley, we thought that A3s were really boring inside compared to the BMW (each to their own though).

RWD is also very handy for kicking the back end out*

*in theory of course 😉

Mintyjim

Defo thinking S/H – one near me 56 plate with 66k miles and leather, sat nav so nice spec for about £8k.

Psychologically for me I’d prefer the BMW over the Audi but I know what you mean!

No cup holders?! No way!

Test drive tmrw though, quite excited!

GJP
    Free Member

legend, I would agree with you that the Audi’s were/are blander inside. Rear wheel drive BMW versus front wheel drive Audi, then no competition., and I would still probably say that the rear wheel drive BMW is more involving than the Quattro, and more fuel efficient. Still love the Quattro mind.

crispo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 118d m sport and that has 2 cup holders in the centre.

legend
    Free Member

Just done some more investigation, that interior should have cupholders.

No reason not to buy now 😉

Mintyjim

hahaha! Brilliant…loving that the best feedback so far is cupholders…actually not having them in the DS3 is pretty rotten.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Presumably that’s because the workshy French stop at every cafe for a glass of wine and an escargot, unlike the efficient Germans.

TheGingerOne

I have had mine for just over a year now. Mine is a 3 door which are pretty rare as only released when the 1 Series was facelifted in 2007. They stopped making them in 2008 I think. Personally I much prefer the look of the 3 door. There was a 3 door special edition called the LE which was very well specced for the money, but only available in black with cream leather, but did come as standard with sat nav\i Drive, plus chromeline exterior and different alloys.
    The 5 door prior to the facelift was slightly less efficient, so a bit worse on both mpg and tax (nowhere near as bad as a Golf R32 though), but it did come with hydraulic steering rather than electronic, which many who have driven both prefer. The facelift apart from the above has has a slightly better quality interior.
    The car is in many peoples view a real peach and more than likely the last naturally aspirated 3 litre engine that will be available. It goes like stink if you want it to, but is also a very relaxed car if you want that too. Mine has averaged 33 mpg over the past 7k which is very good for its performance. Looking online at forums, a surprising number have bought them after previously owning M3’s or M5’s and have not been disappointed. They are similar to previous generation M3 performance without the M car running costs.
    Only issues are the normal comments regarding run flats, but you can change them easy enough and are not specific to this one model. Other than that they are a very reliable car.
    I can get a bike in the back with the seats down and only the front wheel out if I want so I do not think space is an issue. Only if you regularly have back seat passengers might there be comments of it being a bit small, but as a drivers car it is perfect (in my opinion).
    It is certainly the best car I have ever owned as an all round package.
    They are currently well priced as second hand buys as no one wants a 3 litre petrol car at the moment. However, the mpg is very comparable to that of the 116 which is gutless!!
    Worth considering getting from a dealer as the BMW warranty is pretty good if you want piece of mind.
    Overall, I’d recommend one 😀

Edit: well worth looking at the babybmw.net website forum

passtherizla
    Free Member

3.0 Z4 dude… if space isn’t important.

Mintyjim

Would love a Z4 but for work it has to be 4 doors…

any thoughts on these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-130-3-0-2006MY-SE-/200683963456?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2eb9b24440#ht_1613wt_1054

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-SERIES-130i-M-SPORT-VERY-LOW-MILES-REAR-SPOILER-VERY-RARE-BEST-/150743788244?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item231907aad4#ht_1344wt_1054

TheGingerOne – great feedback. BMW Dealer prices seem very high, so I was thinking a private warranty deal would be a decent compromise.

Cheers

TheGingerOne

The first is an SE rather than an M Sport so will have softer suspension I think and not have the m sport bodykit. Much more of a Q car and even rarer than the M Sports. I would have thought it would be harder to sell later on if that is of concern. Second one might be alright. Spec looks ok if you like the wood inserts for the dash and can cope with the cream interior. I’m a nervous kind of guy and would not personally want to buy that kind of car on ebay. I would want to ensure that as it is a performance car, that it has been properly looked after and cared for.

I would certainly recommend having a look at the 2 up at Jason Barker at Birds Here as from what I have seen on line they only choose the very best cars to sell. Birds are the only supplier of the Quiafe LSD that can be put on the 130. The 2 they have have come from owners\enthusiasts from BabyBMW.net

Edit. The silver 130 at Birds has a non standard ‘performance’ front spoiler and maybe also sideskirts.

As it is a 3 litre straight six I would also not worry so much about mileage as they should be fine for 150k plus easy.

The black one you linked on ebay has had awful MSport stickers added to the sides and rear. That ‘modification’ plus the wood would be enough to put me off!!

djglover
    Free Member

The N52 3.0 litre is supposedly bombproof, you’d be hard pushed to find people on the net reporting issues. I just got a 330i m Sport ’06, so the same engine, its a truly awesome car in pretty much every way apart from fuel economy, but you already know that I guess. Averaging 24 mpg in mine on an urban / semi urban commute. Did get 40 on a run once. Its a rapid car and sounds amazing. Published 0-60 times are conservative too :-)). Don’t bother with SE trim BTW

legend
    Free Member

That ‘modification’ plus the wood would be enough to put me off!!

That wood trim makes baby Jesus cry 🙁

landcruiser
    Free Member

The Black M Sport looks nice, The Blue one looks boring (imo)

LimboJimbo

I had a 130i LE as a company car when I worked for BMW and it was probably the car that has left the greatest impression on me. The engine is utterly epic. It is, however, far more useable day to day than an M3 for example and I honestly never failed to enjoy driving it whether I was pressing on, or knackered and just wanted to get home from work. It must be stressed however, I wasn’t picking up the tab for the running costs but I guess you wouldn’t be looking at it as an economical runabout.

freeagent
    Free Member

can’t comment on the 130i but got a 4 door 118D and its great..
    I’ve had it from new and done 55k in 28 months and not had a single issue, its well put together and a great drive.
    Only complaint is its small inside (due to RWD/gearbox tunnel) and it doesn’t have any cup holders..
    I looked at Audi A3s and thought they were dull inside by comparison, but each to their own..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BMW 130i – anyone got one? Highlights? Things to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.