Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)
  • Blue Moon….
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Long suffering City fan here and I refuse to believe the title is won yet.

As a footy fan, may the best team get the title, good luck.

PrinceJohn

Ex Man U fan here.

Come on City.

higgo
    Free Member

Ex Man U fan here.

Come on City.

You, sir, are wrong.
    (on many levels)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

meanwhile, a pompey fan ponders if he’ll have a team to support next season…

i still don’t understand how united are still in with a shot. on paper this has to be one of the worst sides for years: no regular right back, ferdinand and vidic injured, a couple of oaps in midfield, a keeper still settling in. thank goodness for the attacking line.

PrinceJohn

You, sir, are wrong.
    (on many levels)

Hehe – just kidding, but that does seem to be the modern football way. City must’ve gained many new fans this season. Some probably who recently supported teams who haven’t won anything this year.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Wendyball, overpaid illiterate date rapists, thugs, chavball etc.

(I don’t think this BTW, just that no-one had made any comments like it yet)

grum
    Free Member

In 2006-07, for example, United were winning 15 times on entering stoppage time and referees added an average 194.53sec. In the four games when United were not winning there was an average of 217.25sec. The following year the disparity was greater, Opta’s figures showing an average 178.29sec added when United were winning and 254.5sec when they were not. Last season it was 187.71sec compared to 258.6sec.

The pattern has continued in the first three games of the season. In the two games United have led they have played an average 304sec of injury time. On Sunday, Atkinson allowed the game to go on for 415sec.

Not saying it’s the only reason they win – Alex Ferguson is an absolute genius as a manager. He is also a bully though, and it’s quite amusing to see Man U fans whinging about how money is ruining the game.

All the ‘real’ Man U fans I know support FC United instead now anyway. 😉

One of my best mates from school is a big Man City fan too and I know his pain from supporting what was for many years a bit of a joke of a club, so I’d like to see them do it.

higgo
    Free Member

I’m not going to get into a stats war (largely because I’m unarmed) but I remember someone looking at the “United get more penalties” stat. I think the conclusion was that we spend X% more time in the opposition box than average and get X% more penalties.

(this was back when Ronaldo was doing our diving for us, before Young).

It is possible that your “Fergie time” stat has a logical explanation too. Maybe something along the lines that if we’re losing in the 2nd half, we use all three subs. So more time is added. Maybe….

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not going to get into a stats war (largely because I’m unarmed)

no need the article the Grum linked from had an interesting point in the paragraph above the one he quoted

The average stoppage time added at Old Trafford in the period in question is below that given at Anfield, the Emirates Stadium and Stamford Bridge. United’s is 205 seconds, compared to Liverpool’s 210sec, Arsenal’s 224sec and Chelsea’s 229sec.

grum
    Free Member

The average stoppage time added at Old Trafford in the period in question is below that given at Anfield, the Emirates Stadium and Stamford Bridge. United’s is 205 seconds, compared to Liverpool’s 210sec, Arsenal’s 224sec and Chelsea’s 229sec.

Well, the article doesn’t specifically state if they did the research but it certainly implies that United have the highest stoppage time when losing at home. I’m not sure how you think it would be favourable for Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal to get more stoppage time if they were already winning. 😉

In 48 games when United were ahead, the average amount of stoppage time was 191.35 seconds. In 12 matches when United were drawing or losing there was an average of 257.17sec.

So Man U’s average stoppage time when losing at home is much greater than when they are winning, and greater than any other team’s overall average. It doesn’t say what the other team’s average when losing at home is though.

donsimon
    Free Member

and it’s quite amusing to see Man U fans whinging about how money is ruining the game.

Anyone actually said this? Clubs thrive on money, a club that is paid for as part of an investment isn’t going to work if there isn’t success.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Just watch out.

That’s all I’m saying.

saleem
    Free Member

Come on the Irons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It doesn’t say what the other team’s average when losing at home is though.

i know and the only comparison it does we have the least
    imagine an anti man u rant with partial facts
    who would have thunk it

grum
    Free Member

i know and the only comparison it does we have the least

Eh?

More ‘evidence’ for you JY. 😉

http://footballisfixed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/what-incredible-fluke-xxv_12.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

Qwality 😀

grum
    Free Member

Although here is a peer-reviewed academic study (maybe?) – http://otago.ourarchive.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10523/898/DP_0511_BT_%282%29.pdf?sequence=3

Suggests that home bias is real – and given that Man U have over the premier league era probably averaged the biggest attendances out of any club (?), it would seem pretty logical that they do receive preferential treatment from referees. No conspiracy theories or tinfoil hats needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To the Man U Fans remember to loose graciously

To the City Fans remember to win graciously

To the Liverpool Fans We still owe you £30m in change from the Andy Carroll and Jose deals….

Come on the Baggies

Come on Fulham

Toon for the Champions League

Junkyard
    Free Member

Suggests that home bias is real

TRUE FOR ALL CLUBS AND SPORTS ODDLY

– and given that Man U have over the premier league era probably averaged the biggest attendances out of any club (?), it would seem pretty logical that they do receive preferential treatment from referees.

UNEVIDENCED HYPOTHESIS

caps locks for DD

MussEd
    Free Member

GGTTH

zokes
    Free Member

STOP SHOUTING!!!!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ah, the end on another season….bliss. Short term relief from all this nonsense. Oh, dam forgot Euro 2012!!! But this thread explains why we should feel proud that football in our national sport. Financial shenanigans keep the top teams afloat ( sic) and their fans provide the vitriole. What an wonderful example to us all…especially that lovely Mr Terry.

C’mon refs, blow the final whistles !!! Roll on 16:45

May the best team win btw!!!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve been a Man U fan ever since the start of the Premier League, so a lot longer than most people on here. I’ve never been to a game, but love watching the ‘Red Devils’ in 3D down the local pub, it really is like being there. It’s probably better though, as me and my chums make more noise than the crowd on the telly. Sir Alex really should play Michael Owen more, that is his only failing ever.

cheburashka
    Free Member

13 years ago I watched City at Wembley, in that play-off game against Gillingham to escape the third tier of English football. Quite a remarkable time since then, today will be especially satisfying for City, the single game this season that’s had the biggest bearing on goal difference (+5 City, -5 United) was that result at Old Trafford. So effectively it could be argued the title was won that day in October if it comes down to goal difference.

But may the best teams win, lose or draw graciously today.

PrinceJohn

13 years ago I watched City at Wembley, in that play-off game against Gillingham to escape the third tier of English football. Quite a remarkable time since

the 87th minute when Man City were 2-0 down & doomed to another season in division 3.

I did used to enjoy looking at the attendances when City were in that league, home or away the city games always had attendances higher than most division 1 & some premiership games.

loum
    Free Member

Balotelli, Balotelli, Aguero, Dzeko, Silva, Dzeko.
    If City had beaten United 2-1 instead of 6-1 in October, they would now be level on goal difference.
    They deserve it for that day. 🙂

PrinceJohn

From the BBC footy website….

“Great overheard line from a jittery Man City fan outside the Etihad: ‘I can’t be doing with this sort of stress every 44 years’.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

🙂
    I know plenty of city fans they have indeed been through rough times and the support has always been there for their team

What an wonderful example to us all… those bankers,economists and financial types are.

😛

martinhutch

I’m bricking myself here. Not used to this kind of nonsense.

I remember the Gillingham game. Listened to it up to the second Gillingham goal, thought it was all over. So went off in a huff. Mate comes over 10 mins later and asks me why I wasn’t watching extra time… 😯

PrinceJohn

Utd currently champions… gulp…

C’mon City!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Way to early to be that worried John

higgo
    Free Member

I feel sick.

mikey3
    Free Member

Man city do a Man city shocker!! but they will win 2-0

martinhutch

Come on!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I feel sick now 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Squeaky bum time. 🙁

PrinceJohn

Pablo!

AD

QPR will have to try hard now…

higgo
    Free Member

In a strange kind of way I’m more comfortable now.
    Things are back to ‘as expected’ and a miracle could still happen.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MMM QPR down as it stands should make for some tension in the second half……last minuter fergie time goal for them 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Blue Moon….’ is closed to new replies.