Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bloody shoulder again. Any shoulder experts in?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Have a weak shoulder after a couple of dislocations and numerous knocks. It has flared up again, presumably when I was cutting the lawn. Can now barely move arm, only comfortable position is elbow tightly tucked in to torso.

What can I do to ease my suffering?

Mackem

A couple of Neurofen usually sorts mine out.

andyfla
    Free Member

tighten up your rotator cuffs. mine flair up from time to time and this is the only cure in the long run

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anywhere near Warwick, know someone who is very good with shoulders

organic355
    Free Member

I am having Physio for an as yet “undiagnosed” shoulder injury, undiagnosed in that I don’t remember one thing/accident that hurt it, but I do train weights and do karate and haul big logs/tree stumps around for the wood burner, which probably all contributes to it flaring up.

Physio claims its do do with bad posture, and that my shoulder blades stick out a bit at the back and my shoulders slump forwards so I am persevering with exercises to strengthen by back muscles to pull everything backwards. I am not 100% convinced to be honest. Getting a bit fed up with it flaring up and not being able to do stuff on my left side. Its really sore today, but did have a 4 hour karate seminar yesterday, but this sint something I am prepared to give up, just want it fixed 🙁

MadBillMcMad

organ355,
    That all sounds very familiar. I took a tumble june 2012 & it has taken a year of physio & exercises. It’s still there but just a niggle now, so keep up the exercises.

I now spend all my time, driving, walking, sitting & even swimming in what I call ‘the seargeant major’ position – shoulders back, pecks out, & do various exercises with bands.

robbieh
    Free Member

With everything you do, it could just be overuse. I’ m currently off with RSI from sorting mail as a postie, (biking probably does,nt help)my right arm is constantly up and down in the same way and after X-rays it shows impingement and arthritis in that shoulder. mind you at 63 I kind of expect to be knackered 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

IME, physio could be a waste of time. Had a load of sessions with a physio who tried everything from spinal manipulation to acupuncture to sticking his thumb into the sore area and massaging until I yelled.
    Turned out there were bits of bone and crap floating around in there and no amount of physio was going to remove them!
    Get a scan done.

robbieh
    Free Member

DezB, I had the same treatment without acupuncture which they were about to try next visit but in the meantime I insisted on X-rays. in desperation I’m trying Bowen treatment, having second session later today.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Have a weak shoulder after a couple of dislocations and numerous knocks. It has flared up again, presumably when I was cutting the lawn. Can now barely move arm, only comfortable position is elbow tightly tucked in to torso.
    What can I do to ease my suffering?

I assume that you were given exercises after your first dislocation – might be an idea to do those. Here’s the problem – people do exercises when they are in pain – that’s a mugs game and doesn’t do any good. Do the exercises once you’re pain free and keep doing them – forever.

Physio claims its do do with bad posture

That’d (probably) be a postural impingement then. I’d be taking a wild stab in the dark that your pecs are pulling your shoulders forward and that’s making your issues worse. Strengthen your upper back and you’ll be grand – maybe.

MadBillMcMad

Physio claims its do do with bad posture

My problem was a biking crash (with no breaks) with the injury made worse through bad posture just as glupton describes.

So to totally contradict DezB, go & see a physio & get the exercises & do them. Mine consist of work with bands & an exercise that looks like I am training to basejump on the kitchen floor.

organic355
    Free Member

Mine consist of work with bands & an exercise that looks like I am training to basejump on the kitchen floor.

like this? welcome to my morning routine 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

So to totally contradict DezB, go & see a physio & get the exercises & do them.

Er: IME, physio could be a waste of time…

DanW
    Free Member

Of course physio “could” be a waste of time but the should complex is exactly that… complex, relying on a large number of muscles to get multiple joints in the shoulder play nicely together. This is where a good physio can be a massive help. As gluton says you will most likely need to keep at the exercise indefinitely to keep the shoulder complex in order

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

…or it could sort him out.

x2 for gluptons post – you bust your shoulder, it’s now weak, you be doing remedial exercises for rest of life.

DezB
    Free Member

IN MY EXPERIENCE (there, I’ve spelt it out properly for you, in case you missed it), the physio was a great help AFTER I’d had the shoulder operated on. But there was no way they could actually fix the problem.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Find a good Yoga class.Preferably when not in pain,as sugggested above.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to do yoga for a busted shoulder?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I have shoulder and neck problems.Hatha Yoga works for me.My DVDs seem to concentrate on the neck and shoulders.This is a problem area for many people.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bloody shoulder again. Any shoulder experts in?’ is closed to new replies.