• This topic has 58 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Bloody Hell. After 10 years I’ve just Joined STW because of this article…
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

And it’s down to Hannah…

Is This The Worst Pump Track In The UK?

No idea when I first used singletrackworld… at least a decade ago, maybe more. I nearly subscribed, but then saw an editorial statement justifying why their lights test only contained the expensive well know brands and that nobody was interested in reviews of MagicShine etc. At that point I realised that it all seemed to be part of the corporate money making bullshit that is MTB equipment.

Over the years my opinion on that hasn’t changed. I don’t give a shit about new kit reviews… it leaves me completely cold. If I want reviews of stuff then I look for real world views in the forums.

Likewise if I want to know about trails anywhere is Europe, rather than putting MTB in the search I just stick “site:singletrackworld.com/forum” at the beginning as invariably the best info is from the punters on here. I’ve always viewed the magazine as a necessary evil to keep the forum going. The forum that contains the real expertise…

Then a couple of months ago I see an article haranguing some council for sticking barriers up on the run-in to some jump section.
    Then I see the linked article above trying to hold a council responsible for pissing money up the wall on shit projects that hinder the progress of cycling in the UK.

So I finally think: ” These are my people” Have £39. Keep up the good work. Try to minimise the Fresh Goods Friday, new ebikes, spend spend spend nonsense as much as you can to remain viable. Tell us about amazing places to ride, or at least continue to host a forum where Sanny, Scotroutes etc can continue to tell us about amazing places to ride.

And continue to do critical journalism like this which is for the greater good of cycling….

Is This The Worst Pump Track In The UK?

Go Hannah 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Woohoo! Good on you for writing.

The access article recently was also good, and many others (Sick! springs to mind). Quite like readers bike checks too.

I also quite like the increase in front page news articles, esp from EWS/DH races etc, but maybe it needs segregated so that the really powerful stuff like the articles you mention have prominence.

Have to admit, I love FGF (esp when what appeared to be a drug fuelled Barney was writing it), and I do like kit reviews in the mag too. At last they don’t choose a ‘winner’, but give a fair balance of pros and cons.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve always viewed the magazine as a necessary evil to keep the forum going.

I suspect you have that almost exactly the wrong way around

honourablegeorge

The Sick article was a high point, there’s very much a gap in the market for a publication willing to call out companies who are doing it wrong – although that’s a difficult spot when you rely on advertising revenue

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What, the forum pays for the mag?

Sounds somewhat surprising.

PS. Can anyone tell me which issue the Rosset, Styhead, Langstrath, Stake route was in?

scotroutes

I suspect you have that almost exactly the wrong way around

Nah. Mark has said that without the mag he’d not be interested in just operating the forum.

What, the forum pays for the mag?

It’ll be more symbiotic than that. The forum provides a market for advertisers, a place to advertise the mag and the links keep both going. Print publishing is difficult and expensive.

sharkattack

That pump track reminds me of the first ‘skatepark’ in Sunderland. The sense of disappointment after months of anticipation was almost too much for an emotional teenager to handle.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a good article. Took me right back to my schooldays and a bizarrely similar experience with our local council (I’ve commented under the article).
    But I’ve always known STW was written by “my people”, well ever since Chipps wrote for MTBPro (or whichever mag it was!)

justinbieber

@thegeneralist – pretty sure it’s the latest one, issue 137. Any questions on the route, just shout

DezB
    Free Member

Wow- link via the pump track stuff, this track will help youngsters ride on the roads?! Seriously?
    Will they have some pedal cars hurtling around at the same time as them? 😆
    https://www.stratford-herald.com/news/new-rec-track-will-help-youngsters-improve-cycle-skills-9207824/

thegeneralist
    Free Member

issue 137.

Cok tesekkkur ederim 🙂

barney
    Free Member

I love FGF (esp when what appeared to be a drug fuelled Barney was writing it).

Cheque’s in the post, mate. 🙂

justinbieber

Cok tesekkkur ederim

rica ederim

nickc

I’ve always viewed the magazine as a necessary evil to keep the forum going. The forum that contains the real expertise…

So let’s unpack this a bit…You think that Chipps and Mark and all the folk that’ve worked at Singletrack over the years decided back in 2001( 02 I can never remember) that in order to create and keep a forum going for a bunch of whiny cock-bags, they would buy a property, employ a whole bunch of folk, launch a magazine, sell advertising space, and all the associated issues that goes along with operating a real world company, and keep doing that for 20 or more years…la-la land really.

Every time some-one says “the real value is the forum” that’s one more ignorant poster just making assumptions about how a company they clearly know nothing about makes it’s money.

scotroutes

Not really. There are many who never read any of the magazine content. If you’re amongst them then the real value is, indeed, in the forum.

chakaping
    Free Member

Every time some-one says “the real value is the forum” that’s one more ignorant poster just making assumptions about how a company they clearly know nothing about makes it’s money.

Mark has said the website is the money-making part of the operation and effectively subsidises the print mag.

How much of the website traffic is to the forum might be a closely guarded secret though.

Well done OP, have a badge or something.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I think things like this are genuinely where STW can separate itself from the rest of the Mtb press (which is usually product blabber paid for by a sponsor). I like that it genuinely seems to support our sport. Go Hannah!

tetrode
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday rules, may it never die.

scuttler

Every time some-one says “the real value is the forum”

Value is a point-of-view. OP gets more from the forum than he does from the mag/website. Chipps et al get more value from people who are willing to continue giving cash.

nickc

then the real value is, indeed, in the forum.

On a personal interaction level I couldn’t agree more, but then to go on and suggest that individual contribution to the forum has financial value is where it enters the world of fantastical thinking.

twonks

but then to go on and suggest that individual contribution to the forum has financial value is where it enters the world of fantastical thinking.

But what if the contribution to the forum increases post count, forum activity and thus increases it’s appeal to companies wishing to invest in adverts.

They may annoy a non logged in member but, adverts and the revenue they bring will surely contribute financially, therefore an individual posting does indeed have a direct link to revenue.

chakaping
    Free Member

That old gripe about websites & digital products monetising UGC is a bit lame, I agree nickc.

But anyway, I don’t think it’s healthy for a digital publisher to be dependent on ad revenue generated by a thriving forum, because things change and forums can wither and die. And the publisher may be powerless to influence that.

Some might say this place is being increasingly dominated by a relatively small number of grumpy middle-aged men who don’t really ride MTB any more, but still think they know it all. And that that’s not very appealing for newcomers.

So I’d be a bit worried if the forum were my golden egg.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Nickc:

You’ve completely misunderstood me.
    I’m not saying the forum is the real value to the business. I’m saying it’s of value to me, which is a completely different thing.

Scuttler nailed it:

Value is a point-of-view. OP gets more from the forum than he does from the mag/website. Chipps et al get more value from people who are willing to continue giving cash.

On a personal interaction level I couldn’t agree more, but then to go on and suggest that individual contribution to the forum has financial value is where it enters the world of fantastical thinking.

Where did I say that?

danposs86

I want more FGF, not less!

Maybe start doing a “Look what I found down the back of the sofa Monday” too?

dudeofdoom

Some might say this place is being increasingly dominated by a relatively small number of grumpy middle-aged men who don’t really ride MTB any more, but still think they know it all. And that that’s not very appealing for newcomers.

TBH where do old riders go e-singletrack 🙂

I liked that 2000’ads Judge Dredd actually aged along with the readership.

tall_martin

Some might say this place is being increasingly dominated by a relatively small number of grumpy middle-aged men who don’t really ride MTB

I rode at Afan this weekend.

grumpy middle-aged men

Were exactly who I saw on the trails and in the car park. I makes me wonder were the youth ride? The answer is for me at the local jump spot!

Maybe it’s because I’m looking for it, but when I was 20 most commited mtbers looked 20. Now I’m 40+ they look 40+.

scotroutes

So I’d be a bit worried if the forum were my golden egg.

I’m sure the last time we had a snap poll on folks ages the average forumite was in their late 30s. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was now 40+. I guess the yoofs are elsewhere and probably not at many of the official trail centres either.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon the OP just wanted access to the…. Members Forum
    It’s where it all goes on ☺️

easily
    Free Member

grumpy middle-aged men who don’t really ride MTB any more, but still think they know it all.

That’s what I come here for.

LAT

The reality on the ground though is rather different – less rollers with summits, more ‘did I just roll over something?’.

i liked that bit.

ta11pau1

I want more FGF, not less!

Maybe start doing a “Look what I found down the back of the sofa Monday” too?

Obsolete Parts Thursday

scotroutes

Wouldn’t that just be the previous week’s FGF?

stwhannah

@LAT I like your north-south auto translate.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I used to work in local and national government so I have a nerdy love of poking through paperwork and asking asking awkward questions. It’s just spotting the local stories like this in the first place that’s tricky – happy to have them sent my way!

In fact, this story was sent to me by a reader who said ‘I’m a gravel rider but this pump track offends me’, which I really should have put in the story 🙂

convert

Like the mag a lot….the forum is ok. Increasingly less increasingly in most of what is typed, but I view that as a positive that my life is more in kilter than it was a year ot two ago.

In the mag :-

Amount of kit/bike review is about right.

Quirky on one articles are good

A few to many aspirational overseas bike tour articles for me.

Would like a few more UK related bike routes – I’d be happy if they were rehashed/refreshed. Or improved the ability to search back on the members part of the website…maybe with an interactive map. It’s maybe already there but I’d be buggered if I can find it.

scotroutes

Routes is one area where I don’t think a “magazine” format works anywhere near as well as a forum. I agree it would be much better if the Search function operated well though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Actually, the one thing that would make the forum infinitely better for route planning is getting rid of the infernal time lock on threads…

I just don’t understand why threads need to autolock after x months. It’s so pointless. If a thread is redundant then it will die a natural death, no need to set an artificial time limit.

So frustrating when you do route searches and find a whole stack of short, locked threads which refer to each other in a rambling way. You then have to open a new bloody thread to ask one tiny snippet that you need that is missing. Which means there are now stack +1 threads all vaguely linked together for the next person to try to reconcile.

So much better if ( when appropriate) people could just add to the existing thread and have the authoritative source of info all in one place.

funkmasterp

Could there not be a routes sticky. Would that even work?

I really enjoy reading some of the articles published on the website. Might even try a physical mag subscription at some point in the near future. The forum has always been a great source of advice, support and information on a vast multitude of subjects. It all works well together I think.

Bez

grumpy middle-aged men who don’t really ride MTB any more, but still think they know it all

whitestone
    Free Member

So frustrating when you do route searches and find a whole stack of short, locked threads which refer to each other in a rambling way. You then have to open a new bloody thread to ask one tiny snippet that you need that is missing. Which means there are now stack +1 threads all vaguely linked together for the next person to try to reconcile.

TrainerRoad have their own forums, I think they use Discourse as the software, anyway it has a couple of really useful features regarding the above.

1. When you start a thread and give it a title the S/W suggests other threads that might be similar.

2. If you persist and the thread is a duplicate then there’s a function that lets the moderator merge the two threads and close the duplicate.

Anyway Mark has, in the past, stated that they chose the current S/W as it integrated with other parts of the business.

squirrelking
    Free Member

grumpy middle-aged men

Unless most of you aspire to live past 90 and another sizeable proportion past 100 I’d say that’s well off the mark. I’m one of the younger ones and still past the halfway point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Hell. After 10 years I’ve just Joined STW because of this article…’ is closed to new replies.