Bloody close call on the motor bike.. Not sure i want to get back on……

Home Forum Chat Forum Bloody close call on the motor bike.. Not sure i want to get back on……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Bloody close call on the motor bike.. Not sure i want to get back on……
  • MrNutt

I lost my uncle on a motorbike, not his fault, long lasting irreparable damage to an entire family. I’d keep it if I had no responsibilities, but if I had a family, it would go.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I feel for you. I don’t ride, but feel very sympathetic toward, and nervous for, those who do. Whatever you do, stay safe. Your loved ones will thank you.

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

Were you in his blindspot? Unavoidable if lanes are moving at different speed. In any vehicle I try and avoid the blindspot. If my lane is slowly passing the lane to my left I’ll even hang back until the gap between me and the vehicle in front is big enough I can go past the blind spot rather than sit in it.

I only drove motorbikes for 5 years or so. No big spills but one of the reasons I gave bikes up was the fact that I thought the chance of a big one sooner or later was too high.

shifter

Seems like you were in his blind spot, which is probably huge for an old geezer. Position further forward or join the nutters!

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I dunno, I rode motorbikes for around 25 years and eventually reached a point where I felt the risk / enjoyment balance had tipped beyond the point where I felt the risks were worth taking. The trouble with motorbikes is that, as with bicycles, you’re just very vulnerable to other people’s mistakes and it only takes one screw-up to kill or maim you.

That doesn’t mean that you can’t, with good riding, avoid most of the hazards, but you have to accept that there’s a small chance that one day something will go horribly wrong and the consequences could be serious for you no matter how well you ride.

If you want to keep riding your bike and you’re not sure of your road craft or whatever you want to call it, maybe you could look at an advanced motorcycling course as a way of boosting your confidence and ability to read what’s happening around you.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved motorcycles and sometimes I miss them, but what’ll keep you alive is an awareness of just how dangerous they can be, if that makes any sense.

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

Car in front so cant go foward,

Too close to car in front?

mark90

I’m not trying to sound smart know it all wouldn’t happen to me, as we can all be perfect in hindsight,

a lorry with a car behind

A bit of anticipation, think ahead “what do most cars that are behind lorries do?”. Even if they show no obvious intention, it’s a fair possibility.

Car in front so cant go foward

Give yourself a bit more space maybe. Not just in front of you but also to the side.

If you see a situation such as car behind a lorry and you anticipate they may pull out, but you still want to go past them in the middle lane then time your overtake to coincide with a gap in the outside lane so you know you have space to move into if you need to. Or leave a gap in front so you can make the overtake quickly by moving into the free space. I appeciate it’s not always easy/possible in heavy traffic, or the free for all merge in to three lanes from those toll booths.

Both of these tips I picked up when I did a defensive driving course when I had to drive on company business. They have stuck in my mind since and stood me in good stead when I did ride a motorbike.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

I get level and its an old boy and his wife. He was completly oblivious to it all. If id done anything it might just scare him into crashing or get a secound chance at me, again.

You would have been perfectly justified in going ballistic. Don’t let age blind you. If he is not driving with due care he needs to be told otherwise he’ll carry on oblivious until he does hit someone. Good thing at least that you were on your game. Safe riding buddy.

seizednuts

Coming home from work through the severn bridge tolls. It’s usually a bit mad as you go through, especialy at rush hour. So i go steady and try to slot in with the traffic till is settles down.
    Im in the center section heading for the middle lane a lorry with a car behind in nears side lane. mad feckers in the off side lane willy waving seeing how fast they can go before braking hard for the normal speed car in front.

the car to my Left just pulls out to over take the lorry. No indicating, no mirror check, no looking over the shoulder. Im about level with the middle of the car when i relise whats happening.

Car in front so cant go foward, I’m not stupid enough to just pull out into the off side lane. So grap a handful of brake. i can honestly say how in never went over the bars and how we avoided contact i can only guess.
    I know it might been the fear talking, but it was close i just dont know how he didnt have me off.

Now im angry so im fully intending to kick his mirror off an start booting his door. I get level and its an old boy and his wife. He was completly oblivious to it all. If id done anything it might just scare him into crashing or get a secound chance at me, again.

So i just shake my head and continue home. Its been playing on my mind and i keep thinking if that had gone the other way i wouldn’t be writing this now.
    Maybe its time to get in a car as much as i hate to say it.
    been knocked off a few times over the years mostly at town speeds though so just bumps brusies and a broken knee and hand. But this was a game changer type hit.

Could i have read the road better? Better positioning maybe?

All coments welcome.

TurnerGuy

use the old severn crossing…

Pigface

First thing is you didn’t get taken out, learn from it and don’t let it prey on your mind.

I always find the areas by the toll booths like glass, had it snap sideways once trying to show off giving it the berries after going through. 😳

Of course you want to get back on.

Junkyard

The trouble with motorbikes is that, as with bicycles, you’re just very vulnerable to other people’s mistakes and it only takes one screw-up to kill or maim you.

THIS its a risk for sure and you need to decide what to do re this risk.
    Yes with hindsight you could have not been there, done it differently etc but it was entirely there fault and that is the risk you can minimise but not control.
    I stopped years ago but still miss it.

milky1980

That filter system just encourages people to gun it to beat the lorries/cars/bikes. Very badly thought out IMO. Use it 2-3 times a week and the number of near misses I see is horrendous. 5 lorries into 3 lanes doesn’t fit 😯

Really needs a proper filter system installed and a 30 limit with speed cameras until it’s back to 3 lanes.

Just chalk it down to experience and be careful there in the future (not saying you aren’t). If the rest of your riding is on the whole safe and enjoyable there is no reason to stop.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

It does sound like your positioning may have been a bit dodgy. I try to avoid riding and indeed driving alongside vehicles and if I do keep one eye on them and cover and maybe use the horn as a pre-emptive warning, remeber it’s function is an audible warning so don’t be afraid to use it. Leave a gap in front then accelerate through quickly, always try to have an escape route even if this means dropping back a bit and always, as you’ve found out be wary of cars getting stuck behind lorries and then just going for it, if their stupid enough not to be able to read traffic flow they’ll be stupid at other manoeuvres too. I agree you should have had a go – he’ll just keep in driving like a dick whereas if it’s pointed out to him he may think a bit more next time.

CountZero

It was a close call, but you stayed upright on the bike. Try not to let it prey on your mind, and keep riding. My brother had a very bad accident on his bike, if it hadn’t been for his then fiancé being behind, who stabilised him, the Wiltshire Air Ambulance being available to get him to Frenchay in Bristol, and an excellent crash team, he lived, and narrowly avoided losing his right arm. His bike was totalled, but he replaced the Bandit with a 1400 Suzuki, and is still riding.

b r

I ridden for 30 years, and most recently I commuted into/around London for 10 years and use to reckon on a close shave every week with a near-death every month.

Gave it up and took up chain-saw juggling instead, safer 🙂

I use to examine every event as to what could I have done different, and I still believe that if you work on the principle that everyone is out to kill you, either by accident or on purpose – you’ll be fine.

project

Near mises happpen to all road users,learn from the experience,go on an advaced rider course, leave plenty of room all round,be visible and carry on riding we all do.

avdave2

My dad’s cousin gave up his motorbike for good when he came off for the 13th time and hit his head on the church yard wall in St Just. He took it as an omen – well you would wouldn’t you. How he managed to have 13 accidents on the quiet roads of early 60’s Cornwall is hard to imagine.

spidersexual

I’ve recently given up riding – was my only mode of transport and having had my first small but majorly stressful accident to then have my bike stolen not long after, have left the game!
    After having had heard terrible fatalities of late and negative (but realistic) thinking like your having.

Real shame but it’s been a blast for me atleast since passing and will maybe 1 day when most of the motorised nation are wiped out, get back on it! :d

Obviously your at the crossroads no pun intended as to what the pros and cons are for riding vs driving…

Tracker1972

If you can afford to, park up the bike until spring, get any old ratty car and once the mornings are bright and it starts to warm up decide which one to keep then. No shame in swapping, no medals for ManningTFU (I keep telling myself).

solamanda

First off doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. Speaking as someone who used to ride 90 miles a day all year, I’ve had that happen to me too. I now as a rule don’t sit alongside any car (except slow speed filtering) and if that means slowing down because someone has undertaken me, then I do that.

Adjust your riding style and carry on. This is a learning experience, it’s a shame the test doesn’t cover stuff like this.

fasthaggis

My Granddad rode bikes ,he knew the risks ,he let my dad and all his brothers ride bikes .I am sure my Nan and him worried.

My Dad rode and raced bikes ,he knew the risks and let my brother and I get bikes. I am sure my Mum and him worried.

I have ridden and raced bikes I know the risks.I am just about to post off my son’s license application ,he wants a bike. I am sure his mum and I will worry.

Life is full of risk, choose what you feel is best for you and cross your fingers for the rest

Frankenstein

It’s risky.

All my bike Heroes are paralysed, injured or dead.

I love motorbikes.

But we cycle too – so how much more risk with the greater speed?

Do bikers get more road respect?

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

It’s been said above but you might be able to make some positive changes to how you position yourself. It’s really hard to have the discipline to generate a safety space around you as much of the time as possible but if you get into the habit and Work on your planning skills it can cut your near miss rate very significantly.

A friend gave me a copy of road craft years ago when I started driving big work mileage and it explains really well how to create emergency exits for yourself and how to avoid getting boxed in.

I got hit by a car on my push bike two months ago. Next commute I was shaking before I left but once I was rolling again that soon subsided. Ultimately you need to assess risks and rewards and make your own mind up.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I don’t know that road so this may be flawed… The position of control and least exposure is often in the outside lane, though. In the middle you have traffic moving from 2 sides, not to mention the fact that the right hand lane is going to be relatively likely to be full of knobbers. And on the bike, getting left should present no difficulty. Does this make sense for your situation?

glupton1976

If you were to be put in the same situation again how would you deal with it? If you would deal with it in the same way – get a car. If you would ride differently because you’ve learned something from this experience stay on the bike.

My opinion is this: every person driving a vehicle that is involved in a crash could have done something to avoid it. It sounds harsh, but then again death is pretty harsh.

pondo

I couldn’t say I would have done a single thing different. If you’re filtering, you’re kind of at the mercy of all the idiot box pilots, and there’s not a lot you can do if they insist on driving into you. Had a similar thing just last week on the road bicycle, riding across a t junction when a young driver made to turn across.me – if they hadn’t seen me, i couldn’t have stopped, i would have a lot less teeth right now.

Should you carry on? No one can tell you that – it’s risk v pleasure.

sbob

Learn from it, carry on.

Premier Icon Matt24k
    Subscriber

If you had a bloody close call nearly falling down the stairs this morning would you move to a bungalow?
    Probably not. All things in life have a risk and it is up to the individual to decide what level of risk is acceptable. I rode and raced motorbikes for 20 years and have several near miss incidents but tried to learn from each one. There are lots of advanced motorcycle riding courses available so maybe you should consider one of those before making a knee jerk reaction to something that has understandably shaken you up.

p8ddy

seizednuts…

I had something similar happen to me. A guy filling in some sort of ledger pulled from the outside lane of the m8 into the sliproad I was on. I thought it was curtains for me. I had the whole slow motion thing thing happen – what saved me was the slip road widened out to incorporate a hard shoulder – I heaved the bike to the left expecting off road and an accident and got tarmac. Thankfully.

The car driver reacted by abusing me and threatening to kick my head in. Bad move on his part – I tore the wing mirrors off his car trying to smash my way through his windows and badly bruised my knuckles through armoured gloves punching his car as he sat inside laughing at the car taking the kicking. I was so frightened/amped I couldn’t ride the bike for about 30 minutes.

In retrospect? It was a near miss. Trying to get at the guy was a mistake regardless of his attitude. What have I learned from it? I drive much much more aggressively on the bike now – I ride defensively, but absolutely take the front foot. I’m on my horn a bunch more, I buzz motorists. I let them know I’m there. I also recognize that people make mistakes, and I don’t personalize it.

Only you can decide if you’ve had enough – what I’ll say is this though… the idea that you’re safe in a car is a fallacy. It’s a false sense of security. And it’s that mistake that gets motorists AND bikers hurt.

As others have said – move on, learn from it. And accept that every form of transport carries a risk to your safety. Ride as if every motorist is a moron and you’ll do ok. My rule of thumb would be this – is biking fun? If so, keep doing it. If it’s not fun, give it up and enjoy life.

konabunny

Car in front so cant go foward,

Too close to car in front?

Agree in theory but tricky though in heavy traffic – leave enough space in front and some bellend will cut in and plonk themselves right in your safety zone. And if you try to reduce the gap then obviously you’re too close to the car in front.

What’s your high-viz like, OP? (Not that that might have made a difference if the old geezer didn’t look anyway).

If you carry on do some advanced training. I found it really boosts confidence and am hopefully safer.

b r

What have I learned from it? I drive much much more aggressively on the bike now – I ride defensively, but absolutely take the front foot. I’m on my horn a bunch more, I buzz motorists. I let them know I’m there. I also recognize that people make mistakes, and I don’t personalize it.

This.

I got abused (TJ and the like, so I did ignore it) a few years ago for commenting this theory too – works for me. You’ve got to let the tin-tops think you don’t give a knack, about hitting them. Also handy to have a big expensive bike too – as they worry about the damage you may do to their cars.

wrightyson

I am genuinely not allowed a bike. The wife says she will leave if I have one as she feels that strongly about them.

cheez0

How visible were/ are you?

Yes, other people should look properly but how did you help them here?

Riding in the blindspot of someone coming up behind a lorry is risky.. put yourself where he CAN see you, irrespective of how much traffic there is.

All other road users are idiots.. you must accept that and think for them if you want to enjoy your bike.

I disagree with others who say bikes are dangerous.

Horses and carts, walking or driving a tank.. all have an element of risk.

Marge

I feel for you…
    I’m a motorbike commuter (no other real option due to Brussels location) and have to filter through 30-40km of queues each way.
    Been hit twice in 10yrs but miraculously stayed upright both times, though seen more than enough incidents 🙁

Try & increase viz (stronger lamps/those blue tinted bulbs help as they differentiate you from most cars).
    Fluo helmet like the cops over here is good too but less cool 😉 (I compromised with Haga replica)
    Stick a noisier exhaust on it ( I know some people will hate this suggestion but I really notice the difference in reactions)…

Keep the speed down, and the ‘warning’ you just had will keep you even more alert for the next 3 months…

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

The exhaust suggestion is not as daft as it sounds. Now I’ve got a pair of arrows on my street triple (with the baffles out!) cars mostly move out of my way. They definitely know I’m there!

lasty

Packed in riding on the road quite a few years ago…
    I came to the conclusion that no matter how well / defensive you ride theirs always some cock who is oblivious to what`s happening.
    Went racing, much more fun !!

hora

Sort of OT- the other day I saw a USE anti dive forks for sale on here. It reminded me of the STWer who was in the Met Police and loved/was mad about single arm forks. Only met him once when he came to chat/collect mine. He died shortly after on his motorbike commuting into London 🙁

iffoverload

commuting in a car is more comfortable for me. I never actually enjoyed commuting on a bike after a few years.
    traffic conditions and general driving practices are awful for bikes and only seem to get worse as congestion increases.
    quit while you are ahead. or wave 2 fingers and roll the dice.
    I would say track days and touring if you want to bike 🙂
    good luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Bloody close call on the motor bike.. Not sure i want to get back on……’ is closed to new replies.