Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bloody Apple and BBC. Very annoying and unecoconscious. ****ers.
  • v8ninety

So I’ve got an iPhone 4 that is doing sterling service as an internet radio in the kitchen, and whilst it’s not ‘cutting edge mobile tech’ anymore, it’s still probably got more processing power than my first PC, and certainly more than enough oomph to stream a bloody radio station. Now, I’m happy to just leave be and ignore the updates in preference of a thing that just works, but, no. Apparently ‘this app will stop working in January’ and the updated app is ios 8 and above; ie 4s and newer. There’s absolutely NO technological reason to stop my old phone working; it’s got an easy life and until January will be doing the job better than a dedicated internet radio that I’ve got. It’s purely a commercial reason, bunch of bastards. I HATE enforced, artificial obsolescence, and there should be a bloody law against it.

I bet tunein stops working on it too, soon. (I don’t like tunein for BBC stations because of the habit of the Beeb blocking certain programmes for ‘digital rights reasons’ whatever the **** that means). 😡

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it will be the bbc stopping it for rights/security issues. Very dull.

allthegear
    Free Member

Probably because, by default, apps are compiled for ARM64 now. Your iPhone 4 is only 32 bit so won’t run it unless they also compile a version for that too. Trouble is, then they are supporting two versions, not one.

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    v8ninety

They could just leave it alone to work though, surely? Why scupper it? I don’t want a new app, just the old one to carry on working.

nealglover
    Free Member

They could just leave it alone to work though, surely? Why scupper it? I don’t want a new app, just the old one to carry on working.

Because they don’t want to be supporting and running old versions of the app forever.
    It costs more.

“Waste of license payer money” etc etc.

ade9933
    Free Member

Probably apple restrictions regarding having only one version of an app in the store. If the Beeb try to release a new app to allow the other one to run for older devices then anyone on a compatible phone would not get the upgrade.

As you say “forced obsolescence” 🙁

+what Neal says.

It’s a law of diminishing returns. Most (90+%) people will upgrade.

CountZero

Where I used to work, they used to throw out loads of PC’s a third of the age of that phone.
    It’s not Apple deliberately making it obsolete, it’s a fact of life with most forms of electronics; there are Android phones which are obsolete less than two years after release, because the network can’t be arsed to update the OS, and most users don’t care anyway.
    I’ve binned a monitor that cost £2500 after five years because the manufacturer wouldn’t hold spares after that.
    It’s a fact of life that OS technology continues to develope in parallel with the continued improvement of processor tech, to expect any manufacturer to support something six or seven years after it was released, when probably 90% of a particular product has been recycled is unreasonable; to single out Apple, who have a far better record for the continued use of older devices, and the recycling of same, is particularly unreasonable, you won’t find Sony, Nokia, LG, Samsung or any other makes of that age still in regular use, except maybe old Nokia dumbphones.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Why not just do it via the web rather than app? (I know the app is slicker/quicker and nicer to use at present)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

bloody law against it.

There are laws to protect your data, which come with heavy penalties attached.

https://www.scmagazineuk.com/breaking-news-eu-agrees-4-fines-for-breaching-data-protection-regulations/article/535600/

So they aren’t going to spend time and money on maintaining version after version of app to prevent vulnerabilities.

nickc

Same thing happened to me, First Direct effectively made my iPhone 4 redundant to me in pretty much the same way. (they wouldn’t continue to support the older version of their app)

half of me hates it for the waste it is, (although the phone is still being used), half of me accepts it as the inevitable price of technological advance

deker
    Free Member

jailbreak the phone and install the app (or an alternative), no need to upgrade then.

CountZero – Member
    Where I used to work, they used to throw out loads of PC’s a third of the age of that phone.
    It’s not Apple deliberately making it obsolete, it’s a fact of life with most forms of electronics; there are Android phones which are obsolete less than two years after release, because the network can’t be arsed to update the OS, and most users don’t care anyway.
    I’ve binned a monitor that cost £2500 after five years because the manufacturer wouldn’t hold spares after that.

A company I used to work for was the same, the reason being it was cheaper to buy a new PC with a 3 year warranty than to pay to extend the warranty of the older PC

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP try what @simply says, go to web page in Safari / Chrome

zippykona

I know nothing about these things but would jail breaking it help?
    It’s the first thing any phone forum suggests for anything.

the-muffin-man

HMV have stopped selling wax cylinders – evil, corporate scum!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If the BBC are checking the version of the app, then denying it access to connect based on that, then jailbreaking won’t help.

StuF

happened to my ipod touch a while ago, then it stopped working through it’s browser as well. Luckily spotify still works.

vinnyeh

there are Android phones which are obsolete less than two years after release, because the network can’t be arsed to update the OS, and most users don’t care anyway.

Look, I know you like Apple stuff, I do as well, but this is pure BS.

prawny

Will one of the other web radio apps not work? BBC Radio is on Tunein, don’t know if that will work on older ios versions?

squirrelking
    Free Member

The point about planned obsolescence is a good one. Why, if the hardware is incapable of running their OS is it not simply “unlocked” with a super jailbreak if you like which would then allow the user to load on any OS they choose?

Rhetorical question btw, we all know why so yes, Apple are ecologically corrupt on this issue.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Other than for sport the BBC streams aren’t encrypted as far as I’m aware – there are countless radio apps that will play the BBC stations on your iPhone 4 (and others have said, you could just stream from the webpages – if you want shortcuts to the individual stations save the webpages as shortcuts on your phone screen).

2/10

deker
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    I know nothing about these things but would jail breaking it help?
    It’s the first thing any phone forum suggests for anything.

Not 100% sure but it will probably give you more options, however I run jailbreak on my iPad (I want to run kodi), and still have the apple store limitations for apps, but you may find an app on cydia that does what you need.

Nico
    Free Member

Which app are you talking about?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

aren’t encrypted

Sorry – that’s wrong. They’re not encrypted for anywhere, they’re just geo-restricted for sport. I wouldn’t have expected that would stop it working via tunein as the stream should still be playing directly on your device.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I’ve got an old ipod running ios6, the bbc radio app stopped working on it ages ago but the RadioPlayer app continues to work albeit not on the latest version either. You lose some features but it works.

Still annoying though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Apple and BBC. Very annoying and unecoconscious. ****ers.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts