Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • blood pressure tablets
  • ferrals
    Free Member

One side of my family has dodgy hearts so I recently got an ECG heart screening given that I race a fair bit. When they did this the ECG fine but blood pressure a bit high. Told me not to worry, keep on as usual but discuss with GP. GP is getting me to do a range of blood tests and I’ve got to wear a 24hr blood pressure monitor in a couple of weeks.

I’m in my late 30s, eat pretty healthily, average about 4 pints a week and exercise 4-10hrs a week (including proper structured training).

The GP said if still high I will need to take tablets. Anyone else relatively young and taking tablets? I’m pretty averse to the idea and quite worried about it.

As well as just not liking the idea of taking pills the rest of my life, I’m wondering what impact it will have on training and racing. Any ideas?

sandwicheater

Watching with interest. Been putting off getting checked but family on both sides all have high blood pressure and like you OP, similar age, similar exercise/booze etc.

A few friends are in a similar boat and have been on BP tablets since early thirties. All seem better for it.

I just don’t like the thought i may never come off them.

ferrals
    Free Member

Thats my worry. However, I can’t see how I’d improve my lifestyle to reduce BP. I guess going tea total and cutting out caffiene (sounds somewhat contradictory 🙂 ) might help; but again caffiene wise I ahve two cups of tea and one coffee a day, hardly a caffiene addict.

Life is a bit stressfull at the moment and I seem to be feeling surges of stress more often so maybe its jsut a tempory thing from that regard.

I’m re-assured that you know people our age on BP tablets already though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

I went on them in my late 30’s (I’m 50 now) – my pressure was 170/120 – so I had little choice. The doc couldn’t find any reason why it was so high – my cholesterol was low and I wasn’t overweight and didn’t drink much. It’s still a mystery!

I spent the previous 20 years riding at a high level doing 250/300 miles a week so kept myself very fit.

And I’m sorry to say they affected my riding a great deal and where a big contributor in why I don’t ride much now. I went from heading the pack with the fast lads, to hanging off the back. I stopped enjoying it as I was always a bit of a racer, pushing that bit harder each time.

I’m still on them now and even with them my pressure sits at 140/100.

I tried cutting out caffeine and alcohol but it didn’t make any difference to me. It seems I have a naturally high blood pressure.

ferrals
    Free Member

hmm, like you I wouldnt ride much if I wasn’t race-worthy. However I think I’m around 145 and the lower number is normal (70) so hopefully I wouldn’t need much.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Mine is just over the limit I hate taking mine as they actually make no difference.
    Once your on them they don’t let you off them. It means regular blood test as they can affect either kidney or liver function, plus you have to watch how quickly you get up can be a right pain if you are decorating and up and down all the time.
    I’d avoid if you can.

the-muffin-man

You’re doesn’t sound too bad ferrals* – the lower figure is normally the one they worry about most.

For my own piece of mind I’d buy a home testing machine and see how you are at different times of the day. And try and stay off the pills as long as you can.

(*IANAD!)

weeksy

145/70 is a long way from bad. Sure, it’s fractionally high, but thats it

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all

@the-muffin-man
    ; when I had the screening (done throguh the Weslh hearts charity) the consultant said I wouldnt need medication yet and could keep training as normal, just monitor it. It was the GP who then said I’d need pills. Hopefully can stick off them.

I also wonder whether as I have a very low resting heart rate (~45) I wouldnt need to have slgihtly higher blood pressure to pump it round properly!

Twodogs

Heart rate and blood pressure are unrelated

Jamze

I’ve been on a very low dose since last summer. Been positive for me – was getting headaches, tingly arms/legs, generally feeling ‘not right’ so doc ran a full health check. Loads of cardiovascular and heart issues in the family (both sides) so it actually put me off biking for a while as I was concerned I’d keel over and be found in a ditch.

All the tests came back clean – apart from BP when they took it in the surgery, so monitored me for 24 hours and it was spiking, during the night too which was weird.

So, one pill a day, BP down to 125/70 and I do feel better. Do now need regular blood tests to watch for side effects, but no bad thing to see the doc regularly anyway.

DrP

They are related!

There’s several equations involving cardiac output (stroke vol x heart rate) and peripheral resistance, but essentially, they are related!

DrP

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Regular blood tests – once a year typically so not too onerous
    You can stop taking them if you want, no one forces them down you.
    There are something like 120 different combinations of tablets and that’s not including the different sizes of each tablet so it can take a very long time to find the right combination that works for you.

db

Similar to Muffin I have been on them for 15-20 years Ramipril supplemented with Bendroflumethiazide (now 45).

Had every test there is from ECGs, 24hr BP, Ultrsounds etc etc there appears to be no reason. I just have (very high) BP. It has thickened the muscle in my heart a bit which may cause problems so if the Doc recommends you take something I would (and do!).

best of luck with it

Jamze

45bpm resting heart rate here too, no idea if related. FitBit ranks me as ‘excellent cardio fitness for my age’, I guess ‘cos of low resting rate.

ferrals
    Free Member

Jamze – did you notice a negative impact on fitness at all?

Obvs I’ll do what the docs say. Got a couple of weeks till i can do the bloods etc. THink will get a home BP monitor and keep track as I was a bit stressed going into the docs

Blackflag
    Free Member

I started taking BP pills two years ago. Blood pressure was a very very high 195 / 100 so it was essential. Now take pills and its down to 135 / 85. Feel perfectly fine and has had 0 effect on fitness. The only difference is that i now don’t fear having a heart attack on stiff climbs any more than the next person.

I did go on ramipril first but that did nothing even at max dose, then losartan and my feet swelled up. Now on candesartan which does the trick nicely. Nowt to worry about.

iainc

So, one pill a day, BP down to 125/70 and I do feel better. Do now need regular blood tests to watch for side effects, but no bad thing to see the doc regularly anyway.

similar here, and been on Candesartan 8mg for a few months now. Out of interest, how regularly does GP want to see you to check bloods etc ? I have seen Practice Nurse once and am thinking I’ll go see GP soon too (she suggested it) for a general review.

Jamze

Nope – although I don’t race so expectations a bit lower maybe, just get out on the bike when I can. Did a hard ride yesterday with an old mate and felt no different to 10 years ago (last time I saw him!) Recovery takes a bit longer (sore muscles today) but all good. Doing three decent rides a week at mo.

When I started on them I was all down about it. Quickly realised when I started asking around how many mates and colleagues are on them too.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Op..the main thing is to stop worrying ..as that in itself will send your blood pressure high ..
    I take a total of six pills a day which includes one for high blood pressure ..
    I’m 30 odd years older than you ..reasonably fit ..( ride off road twice a week ) and also have an outdoor job..
    I don’t spend a second each day wondering about pills ..just take them as prescribed trusting that they are keeping me alive .
    Relax man ..and carry on enjoying your life instead of worrying about it ..😁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

similar tale to muffin man here, mid 30s, although next to no physical activity for a while due to work and home life but i’d never smoked, not touched alcohol for 15 years and not eaten meat/dairy for over 10. my BP was 240/155, the consultant that treated my hypertensive cardiomyopathy (heart failure) said he wasn’t sure how i wasn’t dead. i’m 50 now, getting back into riding bikes was what got my weight back down and my fitness back to a reasonable level (although nothing like front of field race level) but they never found a specific cause of my BP being high and i’ve beem on 10mg ramipril 10mg amlodipine daily ever since the brush with death. i’d rather be alive, on meds and slow on my bike than dead though…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cut back on the Liquorice Allsorts! 😉

Jamze

@xherbivorex 240/155? Gee…

@iainc
    I’m having a blood test every six months at the moment. it’s no hassle.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yup, i was very close to dying. paramedics said my veins were so hard it was risky trying to get a line in whilst in the back of the ambulance, my lungs were 3/4 full of fluid and kidneys close to packing up. i wasn’t good.

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Hi

I have borderline high blood pressure and have been taking tablets for about 5 years now (I am 46). I am pretty healthy but my family have a history of high blood pressure so it is not really the fault of my lifestyle.

The dotctor said that I didnt have to take tablets now but they will help me in the long term and be good for me later on so I grudgingly went on them thinking of the long game as it were.

We started off with small doses until we got the blood pressure under control.

It has not affected my fitness at all but some medicines do have side affects so it worth looking at them. I tend to get small headaches and light headed after doing very intensive exercise. eg triathlon, half marathon but it goes away after a while.

I used to take Lisinopril and amlodopin but now trying more modern versions of them to see if the light headedness is reduced with the newer interation of the drugs. Also amlodopin is notorious for ankle swelling so that helped me to decide to change. I now take Kairasec and lerkanidipin and we shall see how that goes 🙂

I would say go for it as you have to think of the long term situation but definately check your BP on a regular basis (I have bought my own machine from Boots) and go back to your doctor if there are side affects than hinder your exercising etc.

Good luck

matt_outandabout

I have haemachromatosis, which explains all the previous generations of my family dying from heart related issues and high blood pressure. Found by an employer health check in NZ on my brother, now confirmed that 15 of 32 cousins have it…

I tried the lifestyle stuff, it’s not really made a difference because of the thickening blood.

I was on Ramipril and they worked but…after a year I wasn’t sleeping well and felt exhausted. Duc agreed to change them, and a fortnightly later I also realised I had been a grumpy monster for a year – it had crept up but I was just short fuse and angry all the time.

I’m now on losartan and it’s just about keeping pressure down. So far no side effects.

benpinnick

Ive had high blood pressure most of my adult life. Its pretty funny as I changed doctors a few times over the years, each time they’d pull a face, tell me how high my blood pressure was and suggest monitoring it and possible course of drugs. 15 years on I never did take the tablets I was told I might have to take, but I think thats mainly through a lack of continuity more than anything. I finally got it under ‘control’ through stopping drinking, limited caffiene and more riding. Control just means the doctor doesn’t freak out any more though, it’s only just in the normal range.

FWIW also a slow resting heart rate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

🤣🤣🤣

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Same as muffin man it was 180/120 when found ,put me on 10mg alodmapine( or something like that) 10mg ramapril and 20mg statins even though cholesterol was 4.3 ,doc said I have to have the statins as computer says I’m 90% at risk of heart attack before 55 ,no side effects blood pressure still varies from 125/70 to 155/90 doc reckons it’s just genetics , stopped smoking and it had no change resting heart rate is between 48 and 55 so no problems there I’m 47now and never felt any physical difference to when it was high to now it’s relatively normal

Jamze

Inspiring stuff @xherbivorex, keep pedalling

Alphabet

Although I’ve never really had very high blood pressure, since my aortic valve replacement 3 months ago I’ve been on Bisoprolol and Warfarin. My blood pressure was 115/79 a couple of days ago and my resting heart rate is around 60 to 70 bpm. I just take what’s prescribed and don’t worry about it. If it helps keep me alive or reduces the risk of nasty things happening then it’s all good.

fossy

You’d probably benefit from a 24h test. Mine was high on two occasions visiting the doc. The 24h test proved my BP was high at work, but once sat down relaxing, or sleeping, it actually went low.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cut back on the Liquorice Allsorts!

It’s odd, but true. My dad loves the stuff but he’s been told to give them up.

dai3015
    Free Member

I’m 45 and on lisinopril. Have a family history of high bp, had the 24 hour test and it came back at 135 over 85. Suggested by Dr that I have a low dose of lisinopril to benefit me going forward.
    Its brought the bp down a bit, not as much as I expected to be honest, and I can’t put my finger on it but I don’t quite feel fully there since starting the tabs. However, if it helps me maintain a healthy heart then I’ll do what I’m told by the Dr.

lowey

I’m 49. Last few months I know of 4 people all around my age who have died from Heart Attacks.

Troutie’s death really shocked me. So much that I booked for a well man check at the GP’s.

My lowest BP reading was 159/98. Really shocked me as all my previous tests had been fine. turns out brother and dad had also been treated for high BP but never mentioned it to me.

So, on BP tablets and Statins to lower my cholesterol (7.5). bought a BP machine from Boots and am watching it slowly return to normal levels. Early days yet, but no obvious side effects.

scud
    Free Member

Glad i found this thread, I spent last thursday in A&E as i genuinely thought i was having a heart attack, heart was beating really strongly, pain down left arm, left side of face was numb, headaches the works, turns out it seems it was a side effect to another medication, but i have to go back for 24 ECG on thursday morning.

Weirdly like someone has commented above, mines seems to be higher and my hear feel like it beating really strongly mostly at nighttime?

ferrals
    Free Member

Thanks all. Re-assuring to hear so many poeple are on them at a similar age. Was really stressing on friday. I’m having the 24hr bp monitoring next week. However I’m hoping that it was just the worry pushing it high like @hodgynd suggested, as I bought a monitor and been checking it at home and the top number ranges from 118/136 and the bottom number is 70-80; so I think that its normal. Will still take tablet if necesary because my uncle has thicked heart muscles form long-term undaignosed high BP.

@scud
    , sounds really scary. Hope you hve no more episodes and it is a side-ffect you can manage.

Moses

I’ve taken Lisinopril for about 10 years – I don’t think it has affected my fitness but it has brought my BP down. I used to get regular nosebleeds , but since I started on the drug they are much rarer. Other ACE inhibitors are available.

marcg868
    Free Member

Got diagnosed when I was 21 during a routine pre op assessment. My blood pressure was ridiculously high. Had to have numerous tests over 12 months with a Endocrinologist to try and find a cause.
    Got put on Ramipril 10 mg and Bendro 2.5mg and was eventually allowed my op.
    I’ve cut down my caffeine intake, alcohol, cigarettes and exercise (cycling) at least three times a week.
    I’m now 33 and on Lisinopril 2.5mg because the Ramipril was making me dizzy and lowering my BP into the 90’s.
    I have three monthly blood tests for my kidney function and blood pressure check.

Nobby

For several years I was regularly monitored due to our lad being born with a heart problem & everything was fine until about 3 years ago when there was a scary reading (196/130) in a routine check. Follow ups showed no obvious cause but was put on Lisinopril which lowered it to a relative norm. That gave me an annoying dry cough that just wouldn’t go away so meds changed to Losartan.

Slight hijack now – since then, I’ve struggled (more than usual) with cycling/exercise & seem to put on weight whatever I eat/drink which, I’m told, could be side effects of the meds. Does anyone else take Losartan & do they have issues with it? Or is there an alternative without the side effects? There’s a wide range of situations/meds on here so it seems a better place to ask rather than my GP who isn’t exactly helpful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘blood pressure tablets’ is closed to new replies.