Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Blood Pressure Help…
  • lodious
    Free Member

I just did a blood pressure check…it’s 175/115. I gather thats high. Anybody know how high and what should I do?

ourmaninthenorth

Very high. Get to your GP soonest to be checked properly.

Normal resting BP is 120/80.

Note that your GP will test you and then send you away for a week(ish) and test you again to decide whether you have high BP.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes that is high edging towards dangerously high- but how did you test it? What were you doing beforehand? Home machines are notoriously poor.

Go to your GP asap for a proper assessment

A very rough guide would be 100+ your age over half of that for normal – but normal varies from person to person

coffeeking
    Free Member

See your GP.

Those numbers put you into the upper end of high blood pressure, where surely you’re liable to burst something! Eeek!

<mine was 106 over 61 at last check IIRC>

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Scary!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont get scared, that’ll only increase it! 🙂 Good luck at the docs!

Drac

Don’t be scared there’s far more to it then just taking your BP, like TJ says need more info and needs to be taken more than once to be more accurate.

forge197
    Free Member

at my peak I was 215 over hundred something, wasn’t feeling to good at that point!! 😳 it’s now more normal 130/80 +/- 10

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ha, my peak 5 years ago was 255/170… but that was at the beginning of a fortnight’s spell on the coronary care ward since my body had begun to shut down.
    3 weeks ago, when i went in again after collapsing, it was 90/60.
    i’m ridiculous.

Drac

I bet your face looked just like that Forge.

Took mine the other day and it was down again to 125/85 dead chuffed as last year it was up to 145/95.

forge197
    Free Member

xherbivorex – that’s not so good!!

Low blood pressure has a different set of issues to high.

forge197
    Free Member

Drac – twas the least of my worries, I’d gone to the doctor as I was unable to walk and the BP was just one of number of things that were busted!!

I was in the US and they tested me for loads of stuff and in 2.5hours knew what was wrong and what need to be fixed 🙂

125/85 is a good place to be

xherbivorex
    Free Member

forge, i know!
    tbh my GP just reckons that we’ve been controlling my BP too well and i was being over-medicated, so we’re closely monitoring it and since the latest crash he reduced my meds from 2 beta blockers, an ACE inhibitor and a diuretic daily to just one of the beta blockers… and so far, so good. last friday my BP was 120/89. heart rate is still on the low side though (i’m not an athlete!)- 3 weeks ago when i collapsed it was 45; last week 58.
    still, rode about 15K offroad (but quite flat) yesterday with no ill-effects, so i’m optimistic…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I run a low bp and have the scars to prove it. Postural hypotension rules ( stand up and faint) Knocked myself out 2 times by fainting and hitting something on the way down. Full on concussion once

forge197
    Free Member

Mrs Forge has low BP I think it’s more scary than high, as TandemJeremy says you can faint and stuff it’s quite unpredicatble.

I just take statins, xherbivorex you certainly have or have had some medication.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

get it checked properly by your GP or practice nurse.
    If still high get a few readings done over a month or so to confirm the diagnosis.

If persistantly > 150/90 you probably need treatment.

If borderline your GP may refer you for ambulatory monitoring.

routine investigations usually include, renal function, fasting glucose and lipid profiles, full blood count and gamma gt( to make sure your not a dipsoholic). I would normally arrange an ecg also.

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Checked it agin this morning, it’s still high. Is it still OK to exercise with it at this level?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

go to your GP. No other advice can be safely given. It may well be safe to exercise but without a full history and investigations it is hard to be sure.

Worrying about your BP will raise it anyway.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Strangely, although my family has a history of high blood pressure I have low blood pressure (90/60) yet rarely suffer any side effects from it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

All manner of things affect the BP reading.
    It varies throughout the day, that’s one thing to be aware of from the outset & very much affected if you’re hungry, if you’ve had any exercise like walking up stairs, if you’re in need of a pee even (joking!) .
    I’ve got one at home and it gives huge readings.
    Try taking a reading before and then 30 mins after a meal, and you’ll see what I mean.
    Tim

Drac

Not sure why hunger would effect blood pressure?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it not the other way round Drac – BP drops after a meal? Not sure tho

ourmaninthenorth

routine investigations usually include, renal function, fasting glucose and lipid profiles, full blood count and gamma gt( to make sure your not a dipsoholic). I would normally arrange an ecg also.

I had all of these when I had a one off high reading (Doc was, for once, being cautious).

Result: I discovered I have a cardiac arrhythmia and have to see a cardiologist at least every 12 months….

Drac

Is it not the other way round Drac – BP drops after a meal? Not sure tho

Yeah it lowers as you stomach is wanting blood so the parasympathetic system kicks in, never heard of hunger effecting BP but I await an explanation.

forge197
    Free Member

lodious – just get down the GP although many of us are happy to share experiences but there is no substitute for professional advice.

So do the right thing and get down the GP’s for a proper check and proper advice.

lodious
    Free Member

Appointment booked for 7:00am Friday morning (if I live that long 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good stuff. Now the tricky bit – don’t worry – as worrying raises your BP 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Good luck.

miketually
    Free Member

Knocked myself out 2 times by fainting and hitting something on the way down.

I misread that as:

Knocked myself out 2 times by farting and hitting something on the way down.

🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Appointment booked for 7:00am Friday morning

according to Horizon prime time for heart attack 🙁

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Is high blood pressure a cause of nose bleeds,or is it a stress thing?

Ive been havin the odd nose bleed lately! 😥

must make appointment with doc 🙄

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Is high blood pressure a cause of nose bleeds,or is it a stress thing?

Ive been havin the odd nose bleed lately! 😥

must make appointment with doc 🙄

Drac

Yes it can.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Get an appointment later in the day, say around 4pm. Get ther early and chill for a while.

zaskar
    Free Member

Err when and how did you check it and with what?

After a ride? stressful day? nervous during the check? after a night shift?
    Dehydrated? any kidney probs or history?

There are so many variables and don’t listen to the posts above other than book an appt with your nurse or Gp to check.

I wouldn’t panic until my Gp did 3 tests over 3 months.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Blood Pressure Help…’ is closed to new replies.