Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Bloke tries to walk/kayak/swim across Wales, in a straight line…
  • ta11pau1

This has the potential to be quite interesting, basically a slightly ill prepared/skilled bloke is attempting to cross the 33 miles of Wales in a straight line – through fields, hedges, rivers etc. Basically whatever lies in his way, trying not to stray off the line by much.

Between the hypothermia, farmers with guns, infected barbed wire cuts, mountain cliff faces, and sheep, this looks interesting! 😁

DrP

I watched a fair bit of that last week… not sure how i came across it (you tube rabbit hole!) but thought he was quite fun, interesting,a dn the parts i saw he stayed fairly close to his line.
    But, WTF doesn’t he wear gloves!

Might sit down and watch it all..

DrP

ta11pau1

Yeah it randomly popped up into my YouTube suggested videos, probably due to the 2.2m views in 3 weeks it’s had!

I watched the first 3 videos last night, looking forward to the rest.

peekay

Brilliant. I watched the first one a few weeks ago, pleased that there are a couple more to watch now.

Edit- 2.2M views now. It was only on a few thousand when I saw it. I’m obviously an online viral talent spotter.
    LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE TOP CONTENT!

globalti
    Free Member

Many others have done this before him.

The gamekeeper he meets earlyish in that first episode seems to decide quite quickly that he’s a harmless nutter.

People who enjoy this would definitely enjoy watching Ramsay MacMahon in Mach a Seo! on BBC Alba: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tx9vb/episodes/guide 9

He’s an engaging and charming young lad who sets out from the city every Friday to have adventures around Scotland, most of it is in Gaelic so you’ll need the subtitles. He’s a lot of fun, really enjoyable to watch.

simondbarnes

People who enjoy this would definitely enjoy watching Ramsay MacMahon in Mach a Seo! on BBC Alba: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tx9vb/episodes/guide 9

Cheers for that. There’s some good stuff on BBC Alba. I’m a fan of Dhan Uisge 🙂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rpbjw

alishand

It’s brilliant, isn’t it!

Much like everyone else it popped up as a recommended watch for me three weeks ago (out of nowhere), and i’m now eagerly awaiting the next episode to come online this evening.

I think it’s a combo of the low production value, blunt narration, and the sense he gives off that he isn’t entirely confident in what he is doing which makes it an utterly compelling watch!

andytherocketeer

Saw them the other day too. Seemed like a bonkers challenge, so thought it worth a watch.
    I’m sure there would be better potential routes to take to save having to cross a raging torrent or a lake, but it looked to me like he picked the line to have as many challenges as possible.

kayak23

Many others have done this before him.

Romans like?

ajaj
    Free Member
    ta11pau1

@ajaj have a look at their tracking, they’ve gone about 10-15 miles off the straight line in some areas. Granted its over a much bigger distance but it’s not really a straight line 😁

Ambrose

To be honest I think that he’s doing the wrong thing. Fine to walk in a straight line, not fine to damage hedges and fencing. In the first bit, when he back out of the pheasant hatchery he damages the netting fence, gives it a cursory lift and pretty much shrugs it off. Not on.

He knows what he is doing is wrong throughout hence his camo so he looks like the military, and possibly to help him be concealed. Likewise he is always a bit anxious about being seen.

miketually
    Free Member

Nicholas Crane, mentioned above, walked down the 2° west meridian line, from Berwick to Poole, starting within 1000m either side of the line (between the 99 and 01 grid lines on OS maps).

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t think he does Ambrose its already hanging off.

Christ I am glad i live in Scotland thats shits archaic that you can’t walk where you want.

towzer
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ I am glad i live in Scotland thats shits archaic that you can’t walk where you want.

100% this., subservient nonsense.

cinnamon_girl

What a character and enjoyed it so much that I binged on 4 episodes last night. Can’t wait for more!

alishand

That 4th episode got a bit scary there when he was climbing sheer faces in the wet, with a full pack on his back and no safety gear.

The guy is clearly dedicated to the cause!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bollocks! Mach a seo looks great, no longer available!! BBC ****!

cinnamon_girl

5th and final episode of his mission now available and it really is a goodie. Was on tenterhooks in between laughing and fingers crossed that he comes up with more daft ideas, the guy’s a legend!

alishand

Holy thread resurrection, but I just came across this and its in a similar vain to the original topic. Awesome stuff.

Running an old trainline

joshvegas
    Free Member

Watched the first episode after this thread started. Hilarious.

If he’d done it in Scotland he would only have had to worry about barbed wire and ticks rather than bricking it at any car in view.

I have a similar old Trainline plan for the borders.

cinnamon_girl

He’s back!

llama

That’s so swindon

peekay

His recent YouTube series where he backpacks across Europe with his mate is also very entertaining.

cinnamon_girl

His recent YouTube series where he backpacks across Europe with his mate is also very entertaining.

Just watched part 1 and what a hoot! That man is brilliant and reckon I’ll be watching part 2 pretty soon.

That’s so swindon

Could be anywhere! This Geoguessr malarkey really appeals, looks good fun although couldn’t cope with being in a car blindfolded.

ta11pau1

Attempt number 2. With Added Welsh Greg.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for this!

paule
    Free Member
    el_boufador

Awesome!

cinnamon_girl

He’s back and in Norway this time

Enjoy!

ta11pau1

Attempt number 3…

el_boufador

He’s at it again

https://youtu.be/l8m7DvNEn0k

kayak23

As above.

He also set it as a challenge for Storror recently.

https://youtu.be/ujIardpnDlo

thepodge
    Free Member

He broke Storror on that one, they are a great bunch of guys with amazing skills and fitness but I don’t think they expected it to be quite so hard.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh was funny watching Storror struggle largely out of their element, he gave them an ‘easy’ line too compared to most of his. The quarry guys were great sports.

Been enjoying Toby Segar’s other climbing stuff too.

kayak23

Yeah it was a funny choice to send Storror across Dartmoor instead of…Crawley or somewhere 😂

cinnamon_girl

Yes, this came up in my Youtube recommendations! Started watching the US of A one, last year I think, and gave up due to boredom and lack of laughs. Surprised he hasn’t been back to Scotland, can’t have those youngsters (teenagers?) holding the record.

Some catching up to do I see!

el_boufador

Yeah I tried the USA one and thought it was boring also. Loads of content about buying a boat and then getting nowhere quickly in it. Switched off.

The Europe one from a few years back is good though, but not as good as straight line.

Also if you are a fan of illegal trespassing peril, Brave Dave’s Big Fat Freight Hop is worth a look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.