Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Blocked Drains and Sewers, info might help a few people
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Myself and the others in my row of six cottages have been having a bit of agro with blocked drains and sewers lately

Just found out this morning that if more than one dwelling share a sewer/drain and were built before 1937 that the local sewerage supplier are responsibly

These are known as public sewers and in my case its Anglian Water’s responsibility. Here now rodding and hosing so must be true, they tend not to publicise that too much.

Suppose it could be hard to prove exactly when your house was connected to the main sewer if it was bult very near the cut-off date, ok for us as they were built in the 1890’s

Another good reason to buy an old house along with them being built properly and as a rule having decent sized gardens too.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

private sewers connecting to a public sewer will be adopted by the end of the year in any case (any any age of property)

when you move house your solicitor should tell you whether you are directly connected to the sewer

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Myself and the others in my row of six cottages have been having a bit of agro with blocked drains and sewers lately

also read “what not to flush” it will stop most of the need for anyone to rod! Anyone with a new baby in the row?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yoshimi

Yep what bigdaft says – just been in a meeting talking about plastic 4″ pipe development and it withstanding being jetted – looks like the your local water supplier will be responsible for what was private drainage – excellent more cost to the price of a new house

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Anyone with a new baby in the row?

Been chatting to the drain bloke and apparently its more to do with people especially the old not using as much water because of being on meters
    I’m not and would rather not worry, can’t imagine having a slash and not flushing the bog

All clear again now although he did say they will probably need to come back and survey, old earthen ware pipes that are probaly cracked or got roots growing through

drain

Not sure what you mean by ‘more cost to the price of a new house’, yoshimi?

Once private sewers are adopted, what used to be a direct cost to the owners of those properties affected by a blockage / collapse on private sewers (as in TT’s case) will be spread across the whole customer base as part of everyone’s bills.

Yeah, roots are often a cause, but as b_n_d says the single biggest cause is someone flushing something that was never intended to be flushed.

yoshimi

drains – I’m talking more about the initial outlay – moving away from relatively cheap 4″ single wall plastic pipes to some sort of structural twinwall or even back to clay if the likes of Wavin don’t hurry up and get their acts together.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Can’t see the point of installing cheap pipes that can’t be jetted

Rather pay a bit more for the house than risk having everything dug up to repair a blockage with the ensuing mess and disturbance

Stoner
    Free Member

will 4″ red not withstand jetting then?

yoshimi

I know what you’re saying Taxi but if they’re installed correctly and people don’t put daft things down their toilets then cheap pipes work fine and shouldn’t need jetting………the same is also true for ‘expensive’ pipes. But they’re not always installed right and people do put unsuitable things down the toilet.

Obviously its a good thing that the water companies will take over responsibility, just unfortunate all the extra initial costs esp in the current market.

yoshimi

It will withstand it in practice its just that the water companies obviously want to lessen the risk as much as possible.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It will withstand it in practice its just that the water companies obviously want to lessen the risk as much as possible.

because people get upset when you dig up their garden

Stoner
    Free Member

reminds me of a joke:
    An old man lived alone in Idaho. He wanted to spade his potato garden, but it was very hard work. His only son, Bubba, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his
    predicament.

Dear Bubba,

I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won’t be able to plant my potato garden this year. I’m just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the lot for me.

Love Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

For heaven’s sake, dad, don’t dig up that garden, that’s where I buried the BODIES!

Love Bubba

At 4 the next morning, F.B.I. agents and local police
    showed up and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

Go ahead and plant the potatoes now. That’s the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love Bubba.

rob2
    Free Member

I sense a few water industry people on here!

Technically the transfer is private sewers and laterals and adoption of private pumping stations to vommence in 2011 and complete by 2016 (probably) (stw pedant!)

But none of these costs are in bills yet.

You should see info in your sewerage company bill in April

Some companies already have adopted the sewers mentioned by the op

I love water industry me 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

We still lay good old clay supersleeve. If installed right has a lifetime jetting guarantee!! A lot slower than plaggy tho!!

drain

LOL @rob2 – yeah, right 😉

yoshimi, thanks for replying on my question. Interestingly, TT’s reply is spot on from an economic cost-benefit analysis point of view!

Clearly I need to get out more… 😕

crofts2007
    Free Member

I love water industry me

Me too! Paying my wages.

Putting fluoride dosing systems in around the West Midlands over the last three months, proper chemical!
    Straight through the skin and attacks bones; if spilt; but not in the quantity you see in your water, working with 20% volume, you see 1 part per million at the tap.
    Happy days!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Blocked Drains and Sewers, info might help a few people’ is closed to new replies.