Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • B*ll*cks to push bikes!
  • grunty
    Free Member

I passed my motorcylce test and I got me an BMW R1200GS Adventure !!!!

That is all. ;o)

wwaswas

That is all

swear filter avoidance means it probably will be 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

😀 go steady regard all other road users as homicidal maniacs and enjoy the GS

sandwicheater

Photos or your just fibbing.

Putting aside the lack of time, money or space to keep a bike, I would very much love to sit my bike test and get the same bike (or similar, seems to be a great deal of choice).

grunty
    Free Member

All the years of riding push bikes has taught me to ride like everyone is out to kill me! ;o)

mogrim

That’s a pretty heavy bike for a first bike, take care at traffic lights and what have you until you get used to it!

d4
    Free Member

Check out C90 Adventures for inspiration 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

That’s a pretty heavy bike for a first bike, take care at traffic lights and what have you until you get used to it!

+1 take it easy

mogrim

Just to make it clear, I’m referring to stopping and putting your foot down on gravel, wet leaves, white lines, manholes… Apart for the obvious “take it easy” when opening the throttle 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

Gotta agree with the comments above about a heavy bike for your first. With the luggage and a full tank it can be quite a handful at low speeds. Be careful of coming to halt making sure you’re not going to place your foot in a dip in the road so the bike is at more of an angle than it would normally be. Take your time practicing all the low speed skills some where quite to build your confidence. If you plan on taking it off-road then do skills course on a rented bike first as you will drop it and the bill to fix it will make you cry more than being pinned underneath with a rock stuck in your back.

tillydog
    Free Member

Gotta agree with the comments above about a heavy bike for your first. With the luggage and a full tank it can be quite a handful at low speeds.

^

…And remember not to park nose into the kerb on heavily cambered roads 😉

Enjoy!

Northwind

On the plus side, it does have those big sticky out stabilisers so it can’t fall too far.

pirahna
    Free Member

Make sure your breakdown cover is up to date and includes recovery. 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

BMW R1200GS Adventure

Take it easy, that would make a big hole in a hedge 🙂

Jerome
    Free Member

Ooo- that is what I plan to do – one day..

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve got my CBT tomorrow (again), and my bikes clutch lunched itself on tuesday, so I’ve got the joy of doing it on one of their bikes!

survivor

Read up on push/counter steering. Can’t really remember being taught this when learning which lead to some interesting(read as dangerous) moments corning.

Became a Supermoto god after getting the hang of it!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Well done you. Now enjoy whilst the sun shines. Do lots of slow riding practice like uturns etc. Really builds your confidence. I had a Adventure model. I found it helpful to lay it on its side and practice picking it up! Book yourself on a bikesafe course to. Best thing I’ve ever done to improve my riding. My current ride

fasthaggis

On the plus side, it does have those big sticky out stabilisers so it can’t fall too far.

Aye,gan canny wi that big lump 🙂

wwaswas

if they’d sorted their lawn out properly that damage could have been avoided.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Adventure doesn’t fall that far, all part of being an Adventure, I think you can get Inspector Gadget like self lifting arms from Touratech

allthegear
    Free Member

Still enjoying my F800GSA. Dropped it off-road once – my god it’s heavy!! Lol

Rachel

wilko1999
    Free Member

Jealous. It was the other way round for me I’m afraid – b*ll*cks to motorbikes – hello pushbikes. When my daughter was born 4 years ago I figured I’d run the gauntlet long enough on supersport bikes and decided that I wanted to be around to see her grow up. Son came along 18 months ago. Motorbiking is something that I will return to when they’re older and it’ll be on a Harley or similar.

Have fun, I sorely miss the thrill of opening the throttle on a motorbike 😀

sobriety
    Free Member

That’s why I won’t do my full test, I’m not convinced I could trust myself not to fire myself at the sun on a big bike!

grunty
    Free Member

Cant get anymore grief than I’ve had on the road bike. Not ridden in 6 months + due to 3 twts in cars in the space of 10 miles. Just thought ‘Bugger this’. At least I can get out of cars way

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Did a direct access and test in October last year and been loving clocking up the miles on my Triumph Street Triple. So much so that Ive hardly turned a pedal recently, been riding push bikes for 25 years now so nice to have a change for a bit but wish there was enough spare time to do both!

Denis99
    Free Member

Congrats on the new bike, I have had a few BMW’s in the past, as others have said , careful with the low speed balance etc.

I have quite a large touring bike, always aware of the weight parking it, or getting it out of the garage etc. Yamaha FJR1300.
    Regards

Denis

benp1

Congratulations mate

If you’re not tall enough to get a foot down comfortably then you can get a lower seat for those

Weather is perfect for motorbiking at the moment, warm and sunny but not too hot

Will be commuting home from work on my Fireblade very shortly, can’t wait!

anagallis_arvensis

Bike bike to start on. Hope your tall!!

epicyclo

grunty – Member
    I passed my motorcylce test and I got me an BMW R1200GS Adventure !!!!

That is all. ;o)

When your fuel injection packs in, you’ll have a really heavy push bike. 🙂

amplebrew

Congratulations on passing you test, you’re going to have such a great time going out on the bike 8)

Passing my bike test was definitely the best thing I ever did, it opened up a whole new world of friends and experiences.

Great choice of bike as well, I’m on my 2nd GSA and they’re amazing bikes. They are a lot more agile and quicker than they look. Although the Adventure has got the 30 litre tank, I only really put £20 in for general running around. I only fill the tank if I’m going away on it as they can get very top heavy.

I’m just under 5ft 8 and manage fine on the standard seat. It’s surprising how soon you get used to riding a big bike. I was given a Kawasaki Versys 650 as a loan bike the other day whilst my GSA was in for its annual service and it felt like riding a BMX.

If you do need to move it backwards, I find it easier to get off and push rather than try and paddle it with my feet. They’re also a doddle to get on the centre stand.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah – having the petrol tank under the seat, like I have on my F800GSA, makes a full tank much less scary…

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Can’t believe this thread, only this week I’ve read Mike Carter’s book, uneasy rider!

He has one of those BMW R1200GS bikes!

Now then a possibly silly question, are they safer than the sports bikes what with all the extra metal and panniers etc, if you get hit by a feckless driver I mean?

wilburt
    Free Member

When i was a kid more than i want a Jensen Interceptor, a Mongoose BMX or possibly even a nude picture of Farrah Fawcett I wanted a BMW motor bike with the sticky out cylinders.

Not sure now, I would only want one if I had the time and money to ride it around the world.

epicyclo

Can’t go wrong with a BMW boxer.

I bought one on my last visit to Oz and did 10k on it in 6 months. But I don’t understand why folk need those adventure models and never go off road. Even the standard BMWs handle dirt roads ok. (I was riding the Cruiser version)

mtbel
    Free Member

Same reason folk fit frame bags and water bottles on every conceivable bare bit of their bicycle frame or fork to ride their local beach at an average of 5mph for an hour and a half. surely you of all people must ‘get’ that by now?

Ps. have you ever seen the average GS owner attempt to ride off road?

firestarter
    Free Member

Strangely enough ive gone the other way after a long break from push bikes ive a new one on the way and the motorbike is gone. Enjoy

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t understand why folk need those adventure models and never go off road

I’ve never owned one but did have a supermoto for a bit and the high setting position is really nice for seeing over traffic and even hedges when on country lanes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘B*ll*cks to push bikes!’ is closed to new replies.