Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Blinking BB quality and standards
  • igm

So my son’s cross bike has a GXP BB, while has of course worn out.
    Experience tells me a £20 Ultegra will last better than GXP.

Of course experience should also have taught me that a tapered GXP spindle needs an adapter in the BB if you’re using Shimano.

Guess who’s ordering another BB tonight.  I’ll keep the Ultegra for some Shimano cranks.

And Shimano’s original BBR60 tool adapter was made of cheese – crumbly Wensleydale at that.

Other than that the bike maintenance went OK tonight

crogthomas
    Free Member

You’d probably be better off spending your money on a shimano crank to match the BB you’ve already got. As you’ve already noted, they last longer. They are a better design.
    If the GXP cranks have any life left in them you could sell them on to offset the cost.

Gribs

I bought a Canyon in 2012 that came supplied with GXP cranks and killed the first BB in a couple of months. The direct replacement lasted a similar amount of time. The hope that went on next outlasted that bike and it’s now still going strong on my spare ht.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legometeorology
    Free Member

Praxis Works GXP bb’s last a good while and are much cheaper than a Hope

Dickyboy

My only experience with Praxis Works BB is that they don’t last very long at all compared with Shimano or Hope.

daern
    Free Member

Praxis are pretty good, to be fair. They don’t last forever in Yorkshire, but I’m certainly not replacing them every week. If I had to rank them by longevity, it would be something like this:

Hope
    |
    Shimano
    Praxis
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Butter on a
    warm day
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    SRAM GXP

legometeorology
    Free Member

Another option is Wheels Manufacturing, I have one for when my Praxis runs out and I think it was £60-70ish

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I tried the Shimano Bb with gxp cranks and adapters. Never worked well and just resulted in broken wave washers.
    Swapped to Shimano cranks and ebayed to the SRAM crank. I think it worked out about even in the end as the SRAM crank sold for a good price.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.