Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blencathra guru's
  • fergal
    Free Member

Just wondering which is the best descent, scales fell ridge or drop down to scales tarn, any pointers muchly appreciated.

jekkyl

The tarn is a lovely descent from the summit, I’m sure the path down from the tarn drops round the side of the fell iirc and it looked pretty featureless. What ascent are you taking? We went up Doddick after parking at scales but halls fell is supposed to be the best/most dramatic after sharp edge. Easy mountain to do, half a day then bike up Skiddaw!

martinhutch

Up Halls Fell, down via Sharp Edge is the usual way.

Apparently a kind soul has left a large turd in the middle of the path halfway up Hall’s Fell though, so that’s an additional hazard to negotiate.

fergal
    Free Member

All very good and that, was thinking on a bicycle!

Pieface

Although the summit ridge is beautiful, the trails aren’t worth it for the contribution to an irresponsible image of bikers.

jekkyl

Cheeky! But if you insist and if it were me, up the grassy fell at the very left, forget the name now then down to the tarn and then down to scales would probably be easiest. Skiddaw’s legal of course but I reckon you probably know that. Pretty sure I saw a mtb blencathra vid on YouTube. Have Fun!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Descend Halls Fell, it’s the best run off by miles.

fergal
    Free Member

serious responses only please, I have walked all the normal routes including Sharp edge with the kids, but have never descended via Scales fell ridge,what do you reckon, this or the steps below the tarn for the win.

Pieface

Apart from the zig zags at the top scales fell ridge is probably best bet as a descent

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Fergal

We went up the path north of Bannerdale then down the footpath south of Scales Tarn on Scales Fell. It was pretty good.

Has anyone ridden down Blease Fell?

Cheers

Sanny

boxelder

Mousethwaite onto scales, along ridge and down blease.
    Almost all rideable if fit enough (not me). Down Blease is quick and not technical, though easy to head east too soon. Opposite way also good and can head north from mousethwaite along Glenderramakin for pint and pie at the Mill Inn.
    Choose your time carefully and give way to walkers as per…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blencathra guru's’ is closed to new replies.