Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bleeding elixirs – Problem!!
  • spicer
    Free Member

Bled them many times before with no problems- I’ve now changed the hoses and completely started from scratch (refilling the system).

When I pull the lever, the pads only get to the discs when the lever is at the bars. Seems like there isn’t enough fluid in the system, but I can’t get any more in!! Aaargh

Any tips? (apart from get different brakes? 😀 )

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Follow the instructions, but use more fluid in the calliper end syringe. Push loads through.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Have you got the bleed block in? It pushes the pistons right back into the calipers, less space for air to get trapped.

The bleed block is about 10mm thick btw.

bikeneil
    Free Member

JoeG
    Free Member

Degassing the fluid? Caliper pistons reset all the way? Reach/contact adjusters wound in? Doing the hose, caliper, and lever bleeds in the correct order?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaPUw5DliA[/video]

jimmy

Get a lever rebuild kit from Germany. About £15, easy to fit and they’ll be brand new. (done this loads of times).

spicer
    Free Member

Might have a look at the rebuilt- getting a hissing noise from one of the levers! Still not working!

extremenik
    Free Member

Do,
    Normal sram stuff, but my only way arond this is.

Take wheel out

Pump lever, to push pistons out.
    Re-place wheel or bleed spacer.

This helps as when everything is working well the lever extends the piston out then when you stop pulling the lever the piston relaxes back in the caliper and reduces the internal volume. Forcing the piston beyond the normal spacing, then relaxing back to give you the right gap for the rotor, gives you the volume inside the caliper to force the right amount of fluid in.

Ie you need to get more fluid in the caliper, with the pistons at full normal extension.

I have had all Avids and now run Trail and they only need bleeding to set this when replacing pads.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Spicer – get a new bleed kit, go for the pro kit; it should sort your issues.

jimmy

Might have a look at the rebuilt- getting a hissing noise from one of the levers! Still not working!

see

jimmy – Member

Get a lever rebuild kit from Germany. About £15, easy to fit and they’ll be brand new. (done this loads of times).

and

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a77668/service-kit-bremshebel-elixir-cr-r-5.html

I love elixirs and nearly gave up on them, but this restores them to as-new.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Follow the instructions, but use more fluid in the calliper end syringe

This.

You must have air trapped somewhere… Sometimes, it can help to rotate the caliper so that the bleed port is the highest point (and push fluid through from lever end). Similarly, I’ve got the odd bubble out by rotating the lever, too (and pushing through from caliper end).

jimmy

getting a hissing noise from one of the levers!

but this means the seals are goosed.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

yup

Although I read that both brakes were pulling back to the bar, and one lever is hissing. So an error in process when refilling both levers, but also, one lever has a goosed seal somewhere.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

When does it hiss? When you put vacuum on the lever syringe?

Edit: I should read better.

spicer
    Free Member

It was hissing when I pulled the lever and when pulling on the syringe.

But a new bike has just arrived with some XT’s which I’ll be using for a little while!

I’ll rebuild the hissing lever with a new seal and sort out the bleed- I’ve done it plenty of times before with no problem. Not quite sure whats happening differently this time! Might invest in some sturdier syringes like you get with the premium kit…. eg these:

http://syrvet.com/products/?syrvet_premium_syringes&show=product&productID=276

and replace the o-rings on the screw fitting, air was definitely getting in a both those points.

Left them upright for a few days to help the air- hopefully will all go smoothly on the next attempt…. 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

The Avid pro bleed kit is really nice. I’m glad that I bought it instead of the cheaper one!

ruffride
    Free Member

Could still just be air make sure you tap both ends when you bleed push a full syringe through from caliper to top syringe first an squeeze brake lever first then pus it to levels it needs to be an start bleed again may help if there’s air

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

My Avid rear brake did the same, would pull air in at the lever when pulling on the syringe. I got rid and replaced with deore and not had a moments bother.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

‘ll rebuild the hissing lever with a new seal and sort out the bleed- I’ve done it plenty of times before with no problem. Not quite sure whats happening differently this time!

Rereading this, it simply sounds like a seal has died. Should be fixed by a rebuild and new seals.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding elixirs – Problem!!’ is closed to new replies.