Bleeding brakes and this cones out

Home Forum Bike Forum Bleeding brakes and this cones out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bleeding brakes and this cones out
  • allthepies

It’s the black oil from the X-Files 😯

Dales_rider

Taste it, does it taste like sh1t ?

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Yes, it has definitely been filled with the wrong fluid – black treacle by the look of it!

You could try flushing it through with mineral oil and if you’re lucky it’ll be OK but I suspect it won’t have done the seals much good.

Make some gingerbread?

Slogo

dot5 that has started to destroy all the seals?

trail_rat

looking at the deore brake its probably just the original mineral oil from the factory bleed.

ive bled worse out of deore brakes that have lived a long and fruitful life.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

his gravel boards look a bit utilitarian.

Friend has sent me this picture of what came out of a SHIMANO brake. It’s from a second hand brake. Has it been filled with the wrong fluid?

IMG_5874.jpeg by Alpine160, on Flickr

Ecky-Thump

I flushed by M785 XTs through after a year or so’s use and the old stuff coming out was discoloured but not as bad as that.
    I wouldn’t necessarily jump to the conclusion that it’s the wrong fluid. Just change it anyway.

Thinking aloud… Could you test it by pouring some into water.
    Shimano oil would separate. I assume that DoT fluid would behave differently being hygroscopic. Maybe someone can confirm.

I have a similar picture of bleed fluid from a year old m785. It looked more like mud than oil.

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

Flush system thoroughly, and watch. If it was the wrong fluid I would have thought that as new fluid came out they would not mix… but don’t know never put mineral and D4 together.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding brakes and this cones out’ is closed to new replies.