Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bleeding Avid Elixir: air coming from lever non stop
  • jimmy

I’ve had ongoing problems with a pair of Avid Elixirs (yes, *those*) and I’m about to give in. But, something’s bugging me – I’ve been through the bleed procedure countless times and the rear brake feels fine at first but always loses pressure almost immediately with a few good squeezes.

The only flaw in the bleed comes on the final step of depressurising the lever to suck out any air, at which point bubbles never stop coming out. I guess some seal-or-other is gubbed but the bit that gets me is if I press down on the syringe hard there are no leaks, which I’d expect if a seal had gone. Can anyone offer any insight before I lose it?

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d suspect the diaphragm tucked away in the back end of the lever is allowing air in, when you pressurise it with fluid, it may cause it to re-seat.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

There are always “spares/repairs” elixirs on ebay. maybe get hold of a cheap lever that way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RamseyNeil
    Free Member

When you suck the air bubbles out are you then pushing on the syringe to put fluid back in , it should be a push pull action until no bubbles are coming out . If you just suck the fluid + air bubbles out then when you take the syringe off air will be sucked back into the system and you will get the symptoms you are having .

wurzelcube
    Free Member

When you are bleeding the rear brake have you either removed the caliper and dangled it on the floor by the front wheel or have you held the bike in a stand an angle to get a good height difference between lever and caliper?

It may not help at all but I had a similar problem until I suspended the bike by the front wheel on a hook…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Avid Elixir: air coming from lever non stop’ is closed to new replies.