Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Blade Trail – Afan
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Just got back, don’t know what you are all moaning about, great trail!

chiefgrooveguru

That last descent is mint.

CheesybeanZ

Its been a while but the final decent is schweeet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Didn’t realise there was moaning about it. Definitely one of my favourite trail centre trails

d3carbon
    Free Member

Just got back, don’t know what you are all moaning about, great trail!

Agreed!

The last descent is quality! But also the first climb, although rather long is a very enjoyable techy climb, not your usual unimaginative boring fire road climb.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah, that’s the bit I didn’t like – I suck at technical climbs, I’d rather grind up a fire road any day but admit I’m going against the tide there.

I enjoyed all the descents bar the first one, the first half in the open was flat as a fart and full of big puddles and the second half was rough, but i didn’t mind it – the rest were great, I might ride the black run of whites next time and then skip the loop of the first descent instead.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh PS checked out he recently reopened cafe, pleased to say it was doing very brisk business despite the car park being seemingly very quiet. Nice staff, decent food.

My single mate took a shine to one of the ladies working there ha ha.

Kryton57

I was thinking if a weekend alone in Afan with a bike for some soul searching.

Now convinced.

prawny

Not done blade, only went to the other centre but we’re heading back down there next summer so might have a nose at blade then, sounds fun.

weeksy

Off there on 24th, I will do Blade now as I’ve not ridden it.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Was at Afan a few days ago. Did W2, 25 miles and 2900ft climbing. Absolutely loved it, hard work but stunning terrain.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hope you all enjoy it now, no pressure.

Check out the cafe too, I like the cut of their jib.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Wanted to blade last month when i was that way.

Did White’s level instead which was awesome. They dont lie when they say 90% singletrack.

Blade next time

wrecker
    Free Member

I think blade is brilliant, it’s a step up from the average trail centre ride which is why a few don’t like it.

My single mate took a shine to one of the ladies working there ha ha.

If its the blonde, she’s the owner and not ugly AT ALL! I think hubby has the shop. Not sure if he’s ugly or not though. One would hope not.

ferrals
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    I was thinking if a weekend alone in Afan with a bike for some soul searching.

Now convinced.

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Just don’t ride it on a 100mm xc hardtail, it’s hard work. Although I still enjoy it apart from one traverse near the end which is too rocky to get a pedalling rhythm on with minimal suspension

GolfChick
    Free Member

Last time I went with a mate I enjoyed it quite a lot although the odd section was fairly badly cut up and in need of a bit of TLC but they might of gotten round to it by now. It does occasionally seem to go on forever, the last section in particular, once you get around to the right side of the valley its then another good twenty minutes of undulation until its proper descent. I can see why some people would whinge as it’s not ‘easy trail centre’ riding but I quite like it.

Kryton57

Just don’t ride it on a 100mm xc hardtail, it’s hard work

Ha ha thanks. I did it before on the Anthem when it had 100mm up front. Im considering hiring a SC to make downs more fun but realistically id be going for a condensed fitness blast, aiming for several climbing records and a bit of a technical wake up call on terrain i just don’t have available here.

Ride hard, food and a couple of beers, sleep and repeat.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Kryton57 – 100mm travel xc 29 FS is perfect if you’re after quick Afan lap times.

I did some hill interval sessions there not so long ago on my Sc Tallboy 2 CC, it was spot on. Even managed to sneak in the Strava top 15 overall out of 12000+ for the full Whytes Level climb (the full 5km segment which I was quite chuffed about, sad I know!).

therag
    Free Member

I’m a regular at Afan/Glyncorrwg, the climb is the best I’ve ever done and even better backwards at night.
    Did the blade last Sunday and really enjoyed, a few big puddles but that’s always expected in South Wales June-April

Northwind

I like chunks of it- the first climb, final descent, and ghost train basically. Ghost train has fallen apart brilliantly, no idea if it was good as built but it’s definitely good now.

But it is all kind of hard work for the amount of really good riding imo, kind of like Ae in that regard, I feel like you do a fair amount of just riding around the forest linking good bits.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

I just found it to have a slightly spiky profile, some well invested and considered parts (the descent for example) that sat along side some dreadful ‘link’ sections where it felt money was saved and thinking was absent.

Saying that, a weekend in Afan is always good. I still love the Wall

Northwind

thebatesbristol – Member

some dreadful ‘link’ sections where it felt money was saved and thinking was absent.

I remember reading that there’s a further fund from the wind farm project to be released to the trails and area, to pay for more work and maintanance- I got the impression that some of the new sections were bashed in quick and cheap just to get them open and are now just desperately hanging on for repair and rebuild.

Also, remember it’s built partly out of bits of the old Skyline- though I’ve never got much of a handle on how much is original and how much is new or rebuilt. So some of the new stuff will be where it had to go not where they wanted it.

discapade
    Free Member

We were there a few weeks back when the storm hit..great to hear from the new owners of the cafe and their plans, also a bike shop opening too

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Blade Trail – Afan’ is closed to new replies.