Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 261 total)
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • hels
    Free Member

I loved it.

I can’t claim to represent the views of all women, but I didn’t find it overly sexist. I thought the point of his girlfriend being fake was quite an interesting point, and well made.

(Compare this to that dreadful Suicide Squad film, which is universally awful in it’s defence, but notable for the point that the only female character spends the whole film talking like an infant and in her underwear, when all the men are wearing coats)

The Trojan Horse reference was very cool too.

I do wonder who this film is being marketed to – all the promos before the film were for stupid mindless comic book films.

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t really think of anything I’d trim as it was all relevant.

Thing that stuck in my mind was a lingering shot of the back of Joe’s head. Seemed to go on for 10 minutes. One moment I was admiring the symmetry of his hairdo and then he turned slightly and I’m thinking, this is pretentious twaddle. Ok, so it was only one scene, but that it stuck in my memory as being too long, means it was too long for me. You may have seen deeper relevance to the back of his head and that’s all well and good for you.

Oh yeah, plus I had some dick sat in front of me coughing every few seconds and fiddling with his hair all the way through. kind of takes you out of the moment. Hopefully the gf will want to go see it so I’ll go again. Maybe.

hels
    Free Member

P.S although I am still no clearer on whether Rick Deckard is a replicant.

P.P.S the one off note for me was the Matrix style crew of people wearing eye patches and long black coats, to get in the plot point about the One Girl Baby. My grannie could have written that better, and she’s dead.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’m not going to buck the trend! I thought it was about as good as it could be. Unrelentingly dark and dystopian, a grown-up’s film, slightly uncomfortable in places and like other great films lingers in your mind with a touch of ambiguity.

Definitely an acquired taste not for most kids or people with short attention spans. I’ll be watching it again.

DezB
    Free Member

or people with short attention spans

It’s nearly 3 hours long, so that much is pretty bloody obvious.

AlexSimon

A week on and I have to say I’ve been thinking about this film more than any other in recent years.
    I can’t believe someone said that Joi was superfluous.
    To me, their relationship and subtle transitions are the film!

[spoilers]
    From the moment you think about why a replicant would need a fake partner. When you start mulling over how human he is in his needs. Then when he starts to think of himself as ‘special’ just like humans do and that she also sees specialness in him.
    Then we mourn her loss because he/we bought into the thought that she was unique. Then the realisation he’s not special and with the giant Joi, that every line she uttered was exactly what he wanted to hear. Even the death ‘I love you’.

Quite depressing actually!

I was thinking about how easy it would be to make something like Alexa be slightly more flattering with slightly more memory recall and then how attached people might become to it. We’re really in the stages of it being possible right now – in some ways we are already emotionally attached to technology – we just don’t think of it as such.

DezB
    Free Member

how easy it would be to make something like Alexa be slightly more flattering with slightly more memory recall and then how attached people might become to it

Yeah, first thing I thought when he started talking to her – like Alexa in 20 years. Really enjoyed that side of the film. Someone early in the thread complained about Joi’s inclusion didn’t they?

rone

It absolutely could lose 45 mins, but whether that would be in keeping with the Director’s vision is in no doubt.

A better way of looking it is could you tell the story better in less time? No doubt there, you could. It doesn’t have to be Michael Bay, it just has to be more efficient with screen time.

But being a massive fan of Villenueve if not this film, he nailed the tone of Blade Runner and that is to be slightly incoherent, baggy, ponderous but thick in atmosphere too.

That’s just what it is. It’s not for me and I think thought it lacked momentum but Blade Runner’s fans don’t necessarily want this.

simondbarnes

It absolutely could lose 45 mins

I nearly didn’t go as nearly 3 hours seemed a long time. In reality it flew by and I’d have been happy if it was longer.

superstu
    Free Member

for an action film it’s so nice not having boring extended fight sequences, to have characters you believe in and a plot that makes sense. Also no explaining of the plot by the characters!

I thought it was near perfect. I loved it.

By the way not sure this is correct

After the huge success of the first one at the box office.

Didn’t the first one do pretty badly at the cinema but then grew into a cult classic?

simondbarnes

Didn’t the first one do pretty badly at the cinema but then grew into a cult classic?

That’s what I thought.

AlexSimon

“After the huge success of the first one at the box office.”

I think that was sarcasm

superstu
    Free Member

Ahh, I iz stupid 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has managed to explain the cruciality of the lingering back of the head shot yet.

AlexSimon

Surprised nobody has managed to explain the cruciality of the lingering back of the head shot yet.

I have no recollection of it. So I was probably deep in thought, or looking at something else on the screen.

DezB
    Free Member

There wasn’t anything else on the screen!

hels
    Free Member

Eddies in the space-time continuum? Think about it – nobody else noticed..

DezB
    Free Member

All asleep probably.

Drac

I have no recollection of it. So I was probably deep in thought, or looking at something else on the screen.

I have a vague one but really don’t think it was that long at all.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has managed to explain the cruciality of the lingering back of the head shot yet

What lingering back of the head shot?

Drac

I think he means on the balcony just before Joi went outside for the first time.

DezB
    Free Member

Gawd knows, but it was just one bit.. oh, I explained it in the earlier post anyway.

leffeboy

Movie was good but the soundtrack was a complete joy. Whole thing was fab

fasthaggis

From start to finish,it was total immersion for me.
    Fantastic and one of the first films in a long time that I will be going to see again.

It’s how long?
    Just for DezB 😉

DezB
    Free Member

You obviously haven’t got the attention span to read my full post 😛

My brother actually went out for a smoke at one point and missed the *spoiler alert* … “synced sex scene” 😆

(Can’t read the Wired article as a pop up appears 😐 )

myti
    Free Member

Thought it was awesome. First hour I’d give 10 out of 10. Based on the whole film I’d say 9. Was totally immersed from the first scene which 3d at imax had me mouth hanging open and wide eyed. Cinematography stunning and sound track great. Not many films have me pondering after but this left me thinking about a few things. Did think it felt rather set up for a 3Rd film but can’t really blame them considering the costs these days.

Is deckard a replicant or is he human and therefore the child the 1st hybrid was one thing I was pondering….

CountZero

Going to see it tomorrow, never usually sure what time I’m getting home, but should be an early finish so taking advantage and going to the flicks for the first time in over a year.
    Really looking forward to it.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ DezB – Captain Underpants 84 mins no back of heads.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Spoilers:

Watched it last night and loved it. Went having avoided threads like this but with the dread of it ruining the BR world in the usual Hollywood remake way. Pleased that it didn’t; amazing scenes and soundtrack as has already been said. A few thoughts of my own on others’ comments:

Also no explaining of the plot by the characters!

Actually, that was one little bit of disappointment for me. It was not over done but was still there and it just didn’t need to be. The weird looking guy in the Replicants’ library didn’t need to explain “the blackout” like he did; K would have known the history, the viewer could have been left to fill the gaps with simple prompts about corrupt data and “the blackout” in a much more realistic conversation way.
    All the flashbacks. Completely unnecessary unless you really aren’t paying attention.

I think someone’s already mentioned this but the ‘army’ of replicants stepping out of the gloom right on queue. Yeah. Didn’t really fit with the tone of everything else for me.

Also, it seemed a bit too convenient that Joi happened to pick the Priss lookalike, simply because she sensed K liked her. Which gave Priss (what was her name?) the chance to plant the tracker…which just happened to allow ‘the army’ to turn up in the nick of time… which allowed the story to continue. Someone eluded to Joi being used/manipulated by Wallis to affect K but I don’t think that explains the convenient hook up either …unless I’m missing something.

I didn’t notice a hole in the logic that lead K to conclude who the real offspring was so it’s interesting to read some people saying it was an unfounded leap. I’m sure there was enough in the ‘one-eyed lady’s’ speech to get to the same conclusion from what K had experienced up to that point wasn’t there?

I may have to take a second viewing!

Oh, and I do remember the back of the head scene but any significance has totally passed me by!

And another thing, leaving the ‘is Deckard a replicant’ hanging again was genius in my opinion. I loved that scene; the arrogance of Wallis, the doubt / denial of Deckard, the childish sulking and insecurity of the ‘favourite’ character (again, don’t recall her name).

Anyway, enough rambling.

Drac

Also, it seemed a bit too convenient that Joi happened to pick the Priss lookalike, simply because she sensed K liked her. Which gave Priss (what was her name?) the chance to plant the tracker…which just happened to allow ‘the army’ to turn up in the nick of time… which allowed the story to continue. Someone eluded to Joi being used/manipulated by Wallis to affect K but I don’t think that explains the convenient hook up either …unless I’m missing something.

Joi was being influenced externally.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Joi was being influenced externally.

Yep, I noted that other’s have said that but I’m not sure why Wallis would set up that meeting using Joi. Or do you mean someone else was involved with Joi’s manipulation?

Drac

Can’t recall exactly but she was being tracked and observed by Wallis yes, I also picked up on that she was being influenced by the replicants.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Now you’ve got me thinking! I wonder if there are any clues in the street table scene. He has Joi in his pocket and the parting statement when ‘Priss’ leaves the apartment, along the lines of “I’ve been inside you, there’s not as much going on as you like to think there is”; the obvious reference is to them just being ‘synced’ but I wonder…hmmm.

DezB
    Free Member

chestercopperpot –
    @ DezB – Captain Underpants 84 mins no back of heads.

For you – https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IRnpAJdLL._AC_US218_.jpg

RustySpanner

Is deckard a replicant or is he human and therefore the child the 1st hybrid was one thing I was pondering….

Hmm, I always assumed that the Final Cut implied he was, but it’s never been explicitly stated.
    He could be a human implanted with false memories?

Loved the film and finally getting to read this thread.
    🙂

Agree with the unecessary replicant underground, added nothing, jarred a bit.

Didn’t think we needed to know who the child was either, tbh, but apart from that, spot on.

colournoise

Avoided the thread until I’d seen the film tonight.

Bloody loved it. Amazing visuals, building on the original but having it’s own feel. A believable world, bits of which are probably closer than we think.

Just enough nods to the first film for fans without alienating new viewers (loved all the piano stuff personally).

Yeah, the resistance was unnecessary (REALLY hope any sequel isn’t a mindless mainstream action film focussed on their story), and the ‘piecing it all together’ flashbacks bothered me – I’d have preferred them to just have K and Deckard turn up at the lab at the end and have us put the pieces together ourselves.

I love the original both as a great piece of cinema and a meditation on what it means to be human, and 2049 continues both of those trajectories – reinforcing and building on the themes of Scott’s film for a contemporary audience.

Is it just me who was straining every time the horse appeared to see if there was a mark on its head where a horn had snapped off?

I though Scott had explicitly said on the record that Deckard was a replicant? Cool of the new film to leave that hanging in the narrative world though.

stanfree
    Free Member

Went tonight and would have to say It completely surpassed how good I thought it would be. Absolutely stunning visuals and the soundtrack was beautiful . The scenes just before he meets deckard were completely stunning. Fell in love with the girl wwho played Joi , what a honey. The story and ending were brilliant and Im wondering if there will now be a third instalment.

With last years Star Wars and this years Blade Runner its great to see Harrison Ford back doing quality movies.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Is Eddie on a Chesterfield?

Or is he Crazy Eddie?

vintagewino
    Free Member

Joi isn’t being tracked by Wallace, but by Love. There’s a massive tension between them and K is shown to be able to lie to his superior, so Love should be able to deceive her master too.

I wondered at the very end with the snow whether Dr Dreams was actually making all K’s memories in real time & if any of it was ‘real’ from his POV at all.

So many layers…

sbob
    Free Member

Saw it the other day and thought it was a superb bit of cinema.
    The missus thought it was obvious and “meh”, but then she has the attention span of a fish.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Blade Runner 2049’ is closed to new replies.