Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Blackwater Valley Path – closed to bikes Farnborough to Ash Vale
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Believe it or not that is the proposed alternative route suggested by the landowner! In fact he’s already installed a signpost at the southern gate directing people down a muddy path and then onto Hollybush Lane! The sign indicates the route is suitable for wheelchairs too.

Here’s the “detour”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOa9tcbYFc8[/video]

Potholes not that visible down Hollybush Lane on the vid but you can see the amount of bouncing around that’s going on. No trucks using it at the time though which was a bonus 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Complain to Rushmoor Borough Council (they have a facebook page you can add comments to). The more people who get in touch the better.

h0lmes
    Free Member

Complain to Rushmoor Borough Council (they have a facebook page you can add comments to). The more people who get in touch the better.

I have done that and started to get more annoyed about the situation.
    Councils arrghh

turboferret

Not exactly ideal, but the canal isn’t too far to the east and I used to ride a good distance of that on a frequent basis when I was working at Middleburn and riding from Virginia Water most days.

If I was using the BWV route every day I would be very narked at it suddenly being off-limits 🙁

Cheers, Rich

JoeG
    Free Member

Was any public/tax money used to build/improve/maintain the now closed path?

allthepies
    Free Member

I believe that the council were/are responsible for surfacing the path and a public funded body (Blackwater Valley Countryside Partnership) certainly maintains it as I’ve contacted them about fallen trees etc (which they always remove quickly).

natrix
    Free Member

Off topic but does anyone ride the path north of blackwater station? Got a new job and scoping out commuting options

At the moment the path North from Blackwater Station to Sandhurst is fine, it can get muddy in the winter though. Make sure that you take the unsurfaced path on the right hand side of the river, the red tarmaced path on the lhs (nearest to the offices) ends in a dead end.

JoeG
    Free Member

So, start asking questions. Like “why was tax money spent on a path that we no longer have access to?” and “How much was spent?” “Who authorized/approved it?”

I find it hard to believe that a government agency would spend money to upgrade private property unless there were sufficient conditions attached to ensure that they retained access to the improvements.

deadkenny
    Free Member
    murraycash
    Free Member

I tried the Hollybush lane route on my hybrid, what a disaster that way is, moon craters all the way down, then left down the path along the lake security fence leading back to the BWV path is s terrible surface littered with glass (so much so it looks almost deliberate). If you like fixing punctures I can recommend it. It’s almost better to carry on down Hollybush lane and over the roundabout at the end.

The other way that was mentioned is via Ramilles park and over the A331 footbridge (and the dreaded Hollybush lane) to rejoin the BWV via Hollybush Hill, the old tip which is now a nature reserve. The terrain on Hollybush Hill is grass and a bit rough here but it’s a very short distance. The rest is good quality paths or trails. Here is the route: Farnborough to Guildford via Tongham

Another posted mentioned the cut through the woods between 2 houses via a path that abruptly ends and turns into a nondescript grass track. This is found on my route after 5.1 miles. I didn’t fancy that and went the longer way round but with a much better track surface suiting my hybrid. I rode this today and it’s all good.

allthepies
    Free Member

Update!

The landowner who has closed this section of the Blackwater Valley Path has applied for retrospective planning permission for all the work he’s carried out already (without applying for permission). Part of the plans involve making the path diversion permanent.

It’s possible to comment upon the plans here (email link at bottom of page) BUT comments have to be submitted by 27th March i.e. this Friday.

Have a look at the excellent comments already submitted by the Rushmoor Cycling Forum clicky (you can see all the comments on the second and third tabs of the plan details).

If you’re previously used this section of the path and would like it reopened then please submit comments via the first link above, perhaps endorsing the cycling forum points ? That’s what I’ve done. The more people the better IMO.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crew.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Blackwater Valley Path – closed to bikes Farnborough to Ash Vale’ is closed to new replies.