Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blackstone Edge. What have they done to it then?
  • binners

I’ve not ridden it for a while, and was planning a jaunt up there on Saturday morning. I’m trying to plan a decent route, and I’ve heard they’ve been sanitising a lot of the trails

When I was there earlier this year they were in the process of dumping what appeared to be about 3 derelict warehouses full of rubble onto the trail behind the Edge itself. It looked a bit drastic, but that trail really was a boggy mess. But I’ve heard rumours that they’ve also resurfaced/ruined the trails near Windy Hill and the run down to the footpath over the motorway

Say it ain’t so!!!!

Any update on the trails, and advice on routes to do or avoid would be great. I’m taking a couple of people over who’ve never ridden there before and I’d hate to end up riding around on 4ft wide perfectly surfaced paths!

Fanks

ton

loads of cyclists using the footpath have wrecked it over the years.
    needs mending badly.

nbt

You usually find that when a council involved, it’ll be badly mended and the “repair” job will last a few months at best 😀

binners

Ton – that bit round the back of the Edge did indeed need sorting. It was like the Somme. And I’m guilty of contributing to that over the years. But I’d heard they’d gone a lot further than the WW1 replica battleground, and done the trail up to the motorway footbridge, and up Windy Hill

Anyone know?

philfive
    Free Member

I was up at windy hill a few months ago and they have dumped double track width demolition debris by the looks of it.

esther
    Free Member

At Windy Hill it’s not the council that dumped that rubble, think it was a farmer. Natural England were trying to get it removed and enforced against. Not been recently but from what has been said above it sounds like it is still there.

crikey
    Free Member

I was up there a few years ago and the path had been utterly trashed by off road motorbikes. We’re not allowed to judge them because it might be us next, but they had properly ****ed it over, along with a large number of other tracks in the area.

RustySpanner

Lots of idiots on quad bikes, two in particular, along with loads of walkers and cyclists have made a right mess of it.

Me included.
    If you waited for that to dry, you’d never ride it.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Windy Hill you need to watch out for, the rubble is full of broken glass. Glad to hear the Council are on the case as that properly pissed me off the mess that’s been made there.

On the other side of the motorway they’ve dropped slabs along the mostly flat bit that was a boggy mess, but not gone as far as where it would be an OK descent. What they’ve done I don’t think affects the quality of the descent and it’s a better climb now. It won’t be washed out I don’t think.

Interestingly I was up there three weeks in a row over the summer, the whole thing was done in the two week period and one evening I caught them at it at about 9:30pm, hard workers!

binners

Cheers for the updates.Anyone got any good routes around there thy’d recommend. My normal one is about a 2 hour loop from Hollingworth . Looking for something a bit longer

Cheers

binners

What a massive difference they’ve made up on the Edge! Those stone slabs over what was a horrendous boggy mess are superb. That part of the ride was a filthy slog before. Now it’s quite enjoyable! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blackstone Edge. What have they done to it then?’ is closed to new replies.