Blackpool Illuminations – Tips Please

Home Forum Chat Forum Blackpool Illuminations – Tips Please

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Blackpool Illuminations – Tips Please
  • Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Off to see the lights tomorrow all being well. Never been before, any top tips anyone would like to share? Parking spots, best time to go etc etc.

Will have a 4.5 yr old, 3 yr old & pregnant missus in tow so doesn’t want to be too far to walk really. I was thinking we’d do a tram tour but they don’t start till 6pm & lights come on at 5pm so wondering if car is better?

TIA 🙂

JEngledow

any top tips

Don’t do it!

Junkyard

Its a traffic jam in the main and only one bit worth getting out to walk IMHO I would imagine the Tram is better and more of an experience than sat in a traffic jam looking at the same lights over and over again as you barely move.
    bette rto get there early as well as traffic can be bad on the way in
    I did it on bike with mine last week!!

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I guessed that would be in the list 🙂

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Got stuck in traffic for 5 hours last year. Have refused to go this year.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

H_T_S – that’s my worry, really cannot be bothered with that!

Plan b (maybe it should be plan a!)is driving to preston & getting on the train into blackpool from there then doing the illuminations by tram.

jekkyl

trudge about in the rain to look at some tatty lightbulbs, get over charged for the tower and the pleasure beach. Better to spend your money going to gullivers world in warrington and a meal out after. Blackpool is a shitole, filled with the worst kind of jeremy kyle fodder. HTH 😀

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

We did it in September (used to go every year as a kid).

Had a meal in Pizza Express and then walked to the prom. Walked north a bit to where they end and then got tram down to the please beach and then walked back north.

It was OK, but everything people say about blackpool is correct – unfortunately.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I’ve been to Blackpool before, just never done the illuminations. I’m filthy northern scum myself so will fit right in anyway 🙂

plumber

as mentioned before

Shithole
    don’t do it

jekkyl

you could turn it round and make it vaguely fun for you & the wife.

10 points if you spot someone with a facial tattoo.
    10 points for someone morbidly obese on a disability scooter
    + 10 if they have a facial tattoo
    + 10 if they’re smoking a fag
    + 10 if they’re wearing tons of shit gold jewellery
    + 50 if they have all 4 !!

OrmanCheep

I did them on Thursday.
    The best lights start a good way north of the tower and finish in Bispham.
    I always park for free in Bispham, at the very end of the illuminations. We then get the tram south to the tower and mooch about at Central Pier, then walk back to the car, past the good illuminations. You could just get back on the tram at the Tower and get off after a few stops to lessen this walk, although you’d have to try and time it well (just before lights come on) to get a seat.

You should then be able to get in the car and escape without having to drive along the promenade.

Works for us

mt

Last time I went was a while ago. Sister and I in Busmar sidecar and Gran and Grandad on Matchless G80. Blackpool seemed busy almost 50 years ago so it must be bad now. I’m old it would seem.

Jekkyl,what you playing,first to 1000 points ?

bjj.andy.w

Neck a load of magic mushrooms half an hour before you go down the front. It’ll make it erm, enlightening. Worked for me ( but it was 20 years ago )

Congratulations on #3 Jason. I thought most people came to their senses after #2?! 😉

Can’t really add much but we went there earlier in the year to look at a car just north of Blackpool and then thought it’d be nice to drive back down the prom. It wasn’t. The best thing was that the motorway starts right behind the sea front so you can escape the grim hell hole ASAP.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Cheers DBW – most sensible people DO stop at 2, but what the hell, in for a penny in for a pound(s)! We need to get that ride in pronto – you free any time soon?

I’m having second thoughts about the illuminations now, persuading a hormonal lady and 2 expectant kids might be tough though!!

EDIT – I forgot to mention that we will also have my OH’s Dad with us, who sadly has early onset dementia and is easily confused. It’s a really bad idea, isn’t it!

OrmanCheep

Nice quadcopter video for you… [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bOJDLnBjU[/video]

The whole sea front is much nicer than I ever remember it being as a kid.
    Nice and wide for cycling on too. We walked along the sea wall with the tide in, watching the fishermen land codling, doggies, and a bass. The kids loved it. They are a couple of years older than yours though (2, 5 and 7).

Just don’t venture off the sea front. We had to find a tescos for the nippers tea, and it is horrendous, even just 1 road back from the front. Tattoo parlours, cash converters and crack whores littering the streets 🙁

Well if you’ve told the kids you’re knackered mate – you just have to suck it up and take them 😉

Yep, riding soon. Erm, mid November sometime? I’m actually planning on doing an early raid on Coed-y-Brenin sometime November time. There a back in a day if you fancy it? Maybe get a group going? If not then I’ll be able to get a pass for yocal stuff too.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Mid November may be too late as they finish on the 10th.

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

Just don’t venture off the sea front. We had to find a tescos for the nippers tea, and it is horrendous, even just 1 road back from the front. Tattoo parlours, cash converters and crack whores littering the streets

+ 1

Seriously, avoid anything off the Prom, especially Central Drive which is at the top of the road opposite Central Pier its a mess with all sorts of characters about.

If you do go for a walk, be wary of anyone hanging around, especially between the central and north piers, arcade wise coral island is the best with the central pier one as well, the others are full of scallies.

I love Blackpool and go weekly, as I’ve mates there who I have known since school, but the front is all razzmatazz with major depravation only a few streets back.

We are going next Saturday through the lights and its likely to be a nightmare with the traffic but I’ve a mates drive I can use as a back up plan for parking. When I go blackpool, I avoid all the places I’ve mentioned.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Blackpool Illuminations – Tips Please’ is closed to new replies.