• This topic has 345 replies, 171 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by cp.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 346 total)
  • Black Friday – what deals have you seen / looking for
  • TheFlyingOx

I’m looking fora Shockwiz

Surely it’s a one-off kinda thing? You can get a 7 day hire on ebay for around £30 delivered.

My own Black Friday purchases – got a nice thermal jersey and a quilted hoodie from Royal Racing for half price. Should be useful in the coming months.

desperatebicycle

chakaping
    I think the Pixel 6a is the same price at many outlets.

Cheers, will have a look. £89 trade in on the 3a seems pretty good on Google too

chakaping
    Free Member

If privateer had a frame only on sale I would probably jump on it.

Trying to think about how much I can sell the parts on it but it does invite a lot of hassle

I almost always swap my existing parts onto a frame, but Privateer bikes do spec their bikes very smartly.

I’d take the benefit of new suspension (with new warranties) and brand new transmission/brakes, and flog my existing bits.

And it’d be great not to have to build the bloody bike for once.

MrSparkle

‘Climate change is terrible, why won’t somebody DO something??’

‘Oooh, shiny gee-gaws! Take my money!’

weeksy

Surely it’s a one-off kinda thing? You can get a 7 day hire on ebay for around £30 delivered.

If said person were to keep one bike for ages, then maybe 😀

However, if said person were more into multiple bikes multiple times per year, then maybe buying would be a better plan 😀

Caher

Hoping HMRC will have a black Friday deal.

frogstomp

Bikester sale is up to 70% discount now – e.g. CushCore Pro Plus Insert Set 27.5″

chakaping
    Free Member

‘Climate change is terrible, why won’t somebody DO something??’

‘Oooh, shiny gee-gaws! Take my money!’

**** off Swampy.

doomanic

@weeksy I have one that is no longer used as I’m fully coiled up.

desperatebicycle

A gee-gaw? I have no intention of buying a horse.

DickBarton

Google Store Black Friday prices don’t work for another 13-ish hours, so suspect the prices won’t work yet. I’m kind of hoping the Google Hub drops in price a bit more…would like one in the shed for when I’m turbo’ing, but I’m not needing to spend the £90 on it. I’m tight though…suspect plenty folk will find that a bargain price, but as it is more an ‘extra’ thing, the price is still too high for me.

I did manage to get a new bike helmet at a very good price, so no complaints really.

Daffy

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How in the holy hell do you keep breaking knives?
    Are you using them as hammers/spanners/tyre levers/anvils or what?

@esselgruntfuttock
    – It’s a known issue with a particular design of Global Knife

See my last post and link on this thread –

Link to previous thread…

I CADed and then used FEA to analyse the stress on the blade and it really is a bad design. The handle is at its thinnest and narrowest section at the point where maximum leverage and bending can be applied. If it’s loaded in the cutting direction and there’s a significant sidewise force, say the item being cut moves, it can cause the blade to fracture. The material properties need to be particularly brittle for it to do this, but the model doesn’t lie. I presented all this to Global and they have agreed to warranty them (despite not having a receipt and them being 11 years old) and thus send replacements…but, I’ll only be using them for softer applications, not root veg, which has killed the Chefs Knife and an apple which =killed the pairing knife.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If said person were to keep one bike for ages, then maybe 😀

However, if said person were more into multiple bikes multiple times per year, then maybe buying would be a better plan 😀

I thought you (like me) had come to the conclusion they were broadly rubbish and just repeatedly told you to undo the last change it told you to make?

Bikester sale is up to 70% discount now – e.g. CushCore Pro Plus Insert Set 27.5″

🤔 90% on Friday at this rate!

chakaping
    Free Member

I CADed and then used FEA to analyse the stress on the blade

This guy knifes.

kelvin

Would quite like a new TV, but think we’ll just wait.

Same here. We were planning on replacing our failing CRT (finally) this winter… but will have to wait another year now I think.

I presented all this to Global and they have agreed to warranty them (despite not having a receipt and them being 11 years old) and thus send replacements

I know someone who’s been through this (but without your skills to explain their case) and also received a replacement. My two Globals are still going though… bought for me as presents by my parents in the 1990s… and that includes tackling many swedes over the decades. As with everything… some failures can make people worry that all will fail… reminds me of mountain bike frames in that respect.

weeksy

I thought you (like me) had come to the conclusion they were broadly rubbish and just repeatedly told you to undo the last change it told you to make?

Not at all, i just felt i could get it close enough on my own now. But as time and racing progreses i’d like better than ‘close enough’ for the boy. He’s got his coil stuff setup nicely, but the air would be nice to get right too and the data-logging is a little expensive at times… Sure it means he gets it spot on… but with all the swapping and changing, it can get a bit repetitive, so wouldn’t mind trying the Shockwiz again to get things pretty close.

finbar
    Free Member

When I was a lowly pot-boy at a few nice restaurants in the mid/late 90s Global was *the* brand all the cool chefs had in their knife rolls. And they definitely used the **** out of them without them snapping.

I wonder if Global changed the design or materials subsequently?

hot_fiat

amtico/karndean flooring

We have that in the new house. Hate it, absolute bugger to clean, stains really easily.

^^yup this^^

Also, drop anything on it like a pan and the floor’s likely to come off worst. Some of the dings in our old floor were hilarious. It’ll even ripple up around an impact site as if it were a fluid. Glad I didn’t directly pay for it (“thrown in” with new build the deal).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

so wouldn’t mind trying the Shockwiz again to get things pretty close.

I’ll have a word this end – think one of my riding buddies may have one which goes unused if he didn’t already get rid because it simply says “add x tokens” “reduce y psi” “remove x tokens” “add y psi” and repeat.

After a couple of warranties the conclusion was that it’s a limitation of the device not a fault.

crazy-legs

Oh, some carbon road wheels would be nice too.

I keep looking on Chain Reaction at their Prime wheels (which I’ve had before, they were very good) and there are some more discounts coming but it seems a bit piecemeal. They do have a great deal on a tubeless bundle – £500 for 2 tyres, valves, sealant and the wheels instead of about £800 for just the wheels. They’re deeper than I’d like though… I’m fussy like that.

Sigma Sports had some good deals on their Vel wheels – one set went down to about £700 before rapidly going back to £899 so I suspect a pricing error somewhere in there!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Vacmaster have a black Friday deal going

Vacmaster Cardio54® Fitness Fan

YoKaiser
    Free Member

And maybe even more STW

LawnMaster 24V 25cm Cordless Chainsaw

crossed

I’m keeping an eye our for some Mesh wifi kit.
    No idea what I need but the powerline kit I’ve been using has just died so it’s time for a replacement.

willard

@kelvin

and that includes tackling many swedes over the decades

Reported to SäPo and Polisen. Don’t go near Ikea for the next few months you bastard!

jonba
    Free Member

Didn’t signmasport have carbon road wheels on sale. Own brand vel but likely as good as others.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Pixle 6 (not 6a) would be nice, or a 7 if verrrry good deal (unlikely!). my P20 Pro is getting tired…

cp

Pixle 6 (not 6a) would be nice, or a 7 if verrrry good deal (unlikely!). my P20 Pro is getting tired…

£399 at Argos

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1171127

Or 396.55 at amazon with the option to split into 5 payments

ayjaydoubleyou

Bike related, on the hunt for an AXS drivetrain

neilforrow

Same

mashr

YoKaiser
    Free Member
    Vacmaster have a black Friday deal going

Vacmaster Cardio54® Fitness Fan

Thank you!! Never been able to justify £99 for a fan, but with that price plus an extra 10% off for signing up to the newsletter I can definitely handle £72!

crossed

Road, gravel or MTB?

ayjaydoubleyou

MTB although there was a thread a week or so ago (which I was a part of, with my theoretical research so far) about using a XPLR gravel set up

verses

299 at John Lewis, with an offer that gets you an ‘additional’ £100 cashback when trading in an old handset (if they would have given you £20 for your old one, you now get £120), effectively making the phone 299-100-trade in! In the example that would make it £180!

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-pixel-6a-smartphone-android-6-1-5g-sim-free-128gb/charcoal/p109100453

Edit: currently offering £24 for an unlocked and working P20
    https://jlp.square1tradein.co.uk/sell-my/mobile-phone/huawei-p20-128gb

nixie

@crossed

I’m keeping an eye our for some Mesh wifi kit

Think the nest WiFi kit is on offer.

grahamt1980

Looking for sony xm-1000 headphones ideally xm5 but happy with 4.
    Want a new Samsung tablet probably an s8 (have seen some big discounts on the Samsung site already).
    Nintendo switch oled and an Xbox series x.
    Going for electronics at the moment

singletrackmind

Screwfix Turbo gold bulk box. Was £50, now £20 so 60% off.
    Dewalt impact gun. Bare. Half price at £50
    Site basic black work troos also half price at £9

monkeyboyjc

76projects sent out a 30% off code for those already on their mail list… Was working on already discounted items earlier so I managed to pick up a pair of Exposure Trace / TraceR Lights for just over £50

crossed

@ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve got some bits I’m about to list in the classifieds that may interest you. I’ll send you a PM.

kimbers

If it’s loaded in the cutting direction and there’s a significant sidewise force, say the item being cut moves

what kind of moving objects are you stabbing?!?!!?

Id like to get a bigger TV , just because
    but honestly my ancient (10Year old!) 45 inch Sony is still going strong, with a Fire Stick it does all we need

dander

Those 50mm Vel wheels at Sigma Sports are a steal at £399. Got a pair earlier this year and they’ve been great, if you can live with a noisy freehub.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 346 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.