Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Black Friday looming, so..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never been much of a Black Friday-ist but we could do with a new telly & the Mrs wants a new laptop.

Who (if anyone & very generally speaking) are good to look at for bargins for both come the big day?

frankconway

Better waiting until Christmas sales unless tv and/or laptop are borked.

Caher

Tend to notice the really good stuff never get discounted.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had an advance copy of a massive internet retailer’s Black Friday list for work purposes the other year – which gave me the chance to properly study the discounts and the quality of the goods on offer.

Looking at them in the cold light of day, it was very underwhelming and there were only a few things which weren’t already available elsewhere at their BF price. Stuff like TVs were often older models so they appeared to have a big discount, but had already been superseded.

They don’t come any bigger than the retailer in question, if that gives you a steer.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sony XF9005 would be a good choice if it was discounted on black friday. Doubt it though.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As Chakaping says, I’ve never seen anything worth buying in the cold light of day, tbh you would be as well just getting a Costco trade membership and join the pirhanas at opening time on any given day of the week.

(I used to work in Glasgow, the dickhead of a manager would be screaming at us to build a massive display [like four 42″ TV boxes high by about six wide and umpteen deep] in a certain way then rebuild it another way ten minutes before opening only for the traders to pick it clean within minutes. You could literally have just sat them on the pallets for all it mattered)

spawnofyorkshire

Black Friday can be very good for single malts. That’s pretty much the main thing I’ll buy

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s one thing I’ve never bothered with.

Laptops I’d certainly avoid unless you know what you’re after. They push some real crap at supposed big discounts.

angeldust
    Free Member

Insightful.

Stoner
    Free Member

use https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/ to track prices of specific products of interest and set alerts for when their price drops below a threshold. Works very well and if youre not in a rush can save a lot of money. It also interesting to see what the minimum margin Amazon will be set at and illustrates how short a period those minimums will be open for.

mattyfez

I managed to bag an anker battery pack at a good price a couple of years ago but it’s generally slim pickings in my experience.

I’ve actually been meaning to replace a USB WiFi dongle with a decent pci card for a while but can’t bring myself to spend £30+..May be one will pop up cheap.

Black Friday reminds be of chain reaction cycles frequent mega sales .. Lots of tat but if you just happen to be looking for a set of pink bar grips then you might get lucky..

Flaperon

If you want a new TV I’d hold on until eBay do their payday 10% off voucher and get from there.  I bought a 40 inch Sharp TV from Tesco’s outlet for the garage.  Delivered next day for £189, and it’s a cracker.  Sort of thing you’d have paid £1000 for a few years ago.

zilog6128

I’ve had some great bargains off Amazon BF over the years. As stoner says, use camel to quickly check whether it’s a legit bargain or not. Never looked at tellys though. My gut feeling is that for “big ticket” items the retailers will be pushing crap that won’t sell, or EOL stuff. Or junk that’s been made esp. to be sold on BF (50″ Polaroid telly anyone?!)

10% eBay voucher is a good shout, they seem to crop up quite regularly now. Loads of legit retailers on eBay (often discounted anyway).

jimdubleyou

If you are happy with last years model TV, you might get a bargain – but it’s unlikely to be significantly less than it’s already discounted price.

Usually, not much changes between model year so worth doing some research.

DezB
    Free Member

Imagine how empty your inbox will feel this year without all the Black Friday spam. Excellent 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I got a pretty decent deal on an open box (returns) smart 3d telly from Richer Sounds.  Worth looking at if you’re not to fussed about the state of the box it comes in. Didn’t actually want 3d but still a decent deal compared to similar boxes without 3d. Full warranty.

edd

Hoping for a 2018 RockShox Yari, 27.5″, boost, in any of 160, 170 or 180mm of travel for £395 (or ideally less). Currently £429 on CRC so should get there either on Black Friday, or one of the Christmas promotions…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Never seen any good deals in fact I am sure you can get better deals at other times of the year.

However did get Eurosport for £0.99 last year which was a bargain.  Reminds me I need to cancel!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Amazon BF is ok but best for Amazon products/product bundles.  I’ll probably be getting the latest FireTV and Echo in some sort of bundle that looks good.  Couple of years ago I trawled endlessly for a particular model from a particular Brand of TV but they only ever slashed the price of the lesser model and ended up negotiating a great price with Richer Sounds and John Lewis – which RS won on length of warranty.

Caher

Insightful.

Likewise your contribution.

petec
    Free Member

buy from John Lewis up to 30 days in advance

if they discount on black friday (and that depends on whether any of their competitors do as well of course), they’ll refund the difference.

So you get to take advantage of black friday without having to deal with *people*

Edited to say; sorry – 28 days https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/prices-and-payment/never-knowingly-undersold-claim

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So you get to take advantage of black friday without having to deal with *people*

How have you managed to post here yet clearly never have heard of the internet?

Also your method isn’t exactly helpful if you’re looking for a discounteditem, since it’s pure luck whether the item you picked gets discounted or not.

petec
    Free Member

it is luck to a certain extent, but you can tell which ones are likely to be discounted

with TVs – a six month old model, or something that’s just about to be replaced

Caher

I’ve just set up about about 12 items on price checker so I can see if any of their prices are effected by Black Friday.

duckman

Edd…Pm me and I will give you my British cycling discount code. That will take 10% off the cost of that Yari

theotherjonv

duckman, hate to be mr Chip pisser but

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crc-british-cycling-discount-stopped/

(my google-fu is weak, can’t find the thread being referred to, but long and short is that you can save a tenner now, not 10%, and I think it’s £150 qualifying spend)

granny_ring

Yes that’s a pisser it’s changed from 10% off 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Black Friday looming, so..’ is closed to new replies.