Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Black faced Morris men banned
  • BillMC

by the Shrewsbury folk festival for ‘racial insensitivities’. Border Morris sides have done this for 500 years apparently to enable them to go unrecognised. Is this going beyond the pale?

zippykona

Too long we’ve been hurting chimney sweeps feelings.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Surely they could just paint their faces a different colour that will achieve the same result but won’t upset anyone?

Edit: I suggest purple. If you’re going to prance about like a bell end, might as well go the whole hog.

aP
    Free Member

If anything they should make sure that “Short Circuit” is never shown again, if they’re unhappy about face painting.

legend
    Free Member

Border Morris sides have done this for 500 years apparently to enable them to go unrecognised

I suppose I can understand why they wouldn’t want recognised….

scotroutes

Would a black morris man have to wear white face paint for the same reason?

legend
    Free Member

Like ‘they’ would let that ^ happen

houndlegs
    Free Member

Is this going beyond the pale?

Your’e a bad egg 😀

tomhoward

Would a black morris man have to wear white face paint for the same reason?

Do you know, I bet it’s never come up.

jimdubleyou

apparently to enable them to go unrecognised.

That’s just one of the reasons that’s been suggested – the most agreeable to our modern sensibilities anyway.

Just because something’s been done for 500 years doesn’t give it a reason to carry on.

I reckon perchy is on to something. Green is readily available from army surplus stores…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never mind about ‘racial insensitivities’ they should extend the ban to all morris dancing. What about ‘cringe induced sensitivities’ ?

Grown bearded men skipping together with bells round their ankles ? ffs

ninfan
    Free Member

#Blackfacelivesmatter

doris5000

is this the daily wail version of ‘banning’ i.e. just ‘not booking them’?

slowoldman

Grown bearded men skipping together with bells round their ankles ? ffs

Almost as bad as grown men on kiddies bikes. Or scooters.

doris5000

interesting starting point to consider ‘tradition’ though.

At what point does a something go from being something that just happens (i.e. beggars painting their faces), to a recognised cultural touchpoint, to something that must never change because ‘Tradition’?

Should our traditions be sacred and held above scrutiny like religions often are? (by the religious, at least)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

won’t upset anyone?

Who has been upset? Or is it a bunch of people thinking that people should be upset by it? 🙄

These need banning next 😐

zippykona

Morris men officially rock.
    Especially the green ones.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Those green ones don’t seem to be “dancing” very much.

willard

Look at their clothing…. Undercover sniper Morris Men them. Hard as nails.

BillMC

Is telling morris men not to put burnt cork on their faces a bit like telling women they can’t wear burkinis?

cranberry
    Free Member

apparently to enable them to go unrecognised

Solved, in an inclusive manner:

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s culture. Obviously.

Around here it was supposed to be a throwback to the mines and show grime, not a colour of skin.

The professionally upset will still be upset at something. Hoop skirts, maybe.

MoreCashThanDash

Unless there was a genuine racist reason for them originally painting their faces black, then I don’t see why they can’t carry on with their tradition. Anyone who is offended by some non racist face painting needs to get out more and find something to be properly worried about.

If the roots are in some way “racist”, then I’d agree that some traditions need to be brought more up to date.

It’s the difference between blacking up to look like a chimney sweep and blacking up to be a black and white minstrel – one is harmless, one is offensive.

Now we can all just quote different internet links to each other to argue which it is!

nedrapier

seems to be just tenuous enough a reason to post this:

[video]http://vimeo.com/81384477[/video]

CountZero

Border Morris sides started during the miner’s strikes, when the men had little money, but were afraid to be seen doing anything that might earn some cash or free beer, so they just enhanced the fact that as miners their faces were black from coal dust and went totally black as a disguise, and wore costumes of dark coloured rags sewn onto old jackets, jeans and boots, and their dances were/are much more ‘robust’ and aggressive, and a certain goth element has crept in as well, attracting many younger dancers, male and especially female.
    To ban them for ‘racial insensitivity’ is not only insensitive itself, but quite spectacularly ignorant of the whole history of Border sides.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Goth Morris dancers? Sod banning, we need a cull.

zippykona

As I mentioned above the black faces also represent chimney sweeps.
    Basically any morris people not dressed in white are bloody good. Get somewhere to check them out.
    The first Friday in December we will have some outside my shop if we can muster up enough beer.

Moses

Nah, they are called Morris Men because Moorish = blackamoor = african

By the way, why don’t you get any Muslim or Jewish morris men?
    ~
    ~
    ~
    Because you have to be a complete dick to be a morris dancer.

crikey
    Free Member

The Bacup Coco-Nutters as seen above are meant to represent Moorish pirates who presumably were a bit darker than the average Lancastrian, and something to do with Cornish men who travelled north to seek gravy in the chippy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Coco-nut_Dancers

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so they just enhanced the fact that as miners their faces were black from coal dust and went totally black as a disguise,

Miners in disguise eh ?

Here’s some Tory supporters in disguise

MSP

started during the miner’s strikes,

So it is Thatcha’s fault.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

So did borders Morris sides start 500 years ago or in the 1980’s?

PePPeR

Banbury Town centre! ^^^^

I always knew there was something dodgy about Dave 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Crazy.
    if the tradition is ancient then modern potential opinions are irrelevant.Any one offended by that needs to grow up

slowoldman

So did borders Morris sides start 500 years ago or in the 1980’s?

Morris itself is recorded in Britain over 400 years ago. That would have been of a style similar to what we would now call Cotswold morris (that’s the sticks and hankies stuff). Northwest morris (in clogs) is from the industrial period belonging to mills and wakes weeks. Border morris in its current form is a product of the 1970s.

Because you have to be a complete dick to be a morris dancer.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t understand why they use messy black makeup when the “black stockingette mask”, which can be slipped over the head in a moment, could be used.

It even comes with “odd” eyes and buckteeth.

I’m sure it would make morris dancing much more amusing and if anyone is offended it can removed and concealed in the pocket “as quick as a wink”.

Obviously they need to change the name of the black stockingette mask to reflect modern ‘racial sensitivities’.

doris5000

This is a good article about it by someone involved in the scene. Quite balanced but explains how it’s neither political correctness gone mad nor ignorant old buffers.

Morris dancing, black face paint and racism: why it’s time to stop and think

Cowman

My mates a mummer, its a normal part of the show & costume. Its all storytelling. Anyone who’s seen the Rushbearing round Sowerby Bridge will have seen him and it. A great show, not offensive at all. Well its not set out to be at least.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if the phrase “Pull the other one, it has bells on” has some connection with morris dancing.

Variation on “Pull my finger…”???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Black faced Morris men banned’ is closed to new replies.