Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Black Combe route-finding in low cloud
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

Thinking of heading up over Black Combe this weekend but the weather is looking rather grim. That doesn’t matter, of course, but I have read that route-finding can be problematic in heavy / low cloud on the summit with regards to finding your way back down the correct path.

How bad is it exactly?

d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, I was working in the Whicham Valley last year and kept taking my bike with me, with the intention of riding Black Combe. The couple of months I was there I got to ride it once! Like you’ve heard, the cloud seems to come half way down the fells and even though I’ve got a GPS, I still didn’t fancy it. On a bleak day it looks more like you would be riding into something off the Lord of the Rings.
    As you probably know it is quite a short ride and if I ever go back, will do it both ways.
    Have you thought of doing Broughton Moor/Seathwaite?

boxelder

If you can use a compass, it’s not a problem.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Have you thought of doing Broughton Moor/Seathwaite?

Not really looked into it / heard about it. Is it a particularly good ride, d45yth?

d45yth
    Free Member

It’s a bit more interesting than Black Combe. The last time I did BC it only took just over an hour. Contact me with your email and I’ll send you the route. 🙂

Stevie-P
    Free Member

YHM.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Black Combe route-finding in low cloud’ is closed to new replies.