Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Black Chill Rubber Queen UST or not
  • gingerss
    Free Member

Minor dilema…

I just bought a pair of 2.2’s at a decent price which I don’t think will be repeated, however at the time I didn’t realise there was a UST and non-UST version of this tyre. Stupidly I assumed being a top-end tyre it would be UST.

Anyway, my question is would it be worth sending the tyre back and paying the extra to get UST, or are the tubed ones likely to be almost as good? I understand they don’t make a great ghetto tyre so I’d definately run tubes in the non-UST tyre.

Cheers

Garry_Lager

Send em back and get UST. Appreciate the dilemma, as RQs UST are a pricey tyre, but no point running tubes on a UST wheelset. Great tyre btw.

neninja
    Free Member

I run my non-UST Rubber Queen BC 2.2 tubeless with Stans rims and they work great. No burping and excellent grip.

The only issue I had was when barbed wire lying on the trail ripped the sidewall out of the rear but that would have happened with any tyre.

neninja
    Free Member

If you don’t want it how much for the one you bought as I need to replace the one I damaged.

gingerss
    Free Member

I got them for £36 each so I’d be happy to sell on for that. Not received them yet but by the time I’d phoned up they’d shipped.

Clobber
    Free Member

I maybe interested in these if you decided to get rid of them.

Drop me an email, my address is in my profile

timraven

I tried the non-ust ones and they are fine if you’re gentle or run them a bit harder, but I took the sidewall out quite a bit easier than the ust version.

jambon
    Free Member

£36 Each, non-UST is cheap! What is the world coming to?

FFS My hourly rate hasn’t gone up in 7 years but tyre prices have doubled.

Rant over.

iamtheresurrection

Bear in ming the RQ USTs are not Black Chili – if that’s important to you…

messiah
    Free Member

UST 2.2 RQ are now available in Black Chilli.

FWIW – The UST are much heavier, about the same as a tube surprisingly… and they also don’t ride as well as the non UST thanks to the beefy sidewalls (2.4″). So this is what I do… run the non UST tubeless (which take a few days to seal) and run the risk of the odd torn sidewall. If I am going somewhere stupid daft rocky I will bung a 2.4″ UST on the back as insurance. That is all.

gingerss
    Free Member

jambon, I’m with you but I was of course talking comparatively. Usual bike related inflation of course but what’s the alternative? I suspect commoditisation of the market leading to a reduction of variety and virtually no R&D.

RRP is over £50 and most shops have them around the £45 mark. I got these from Ribble Cycles and I believe they still have some at this price.

float
    Free Member

germans to the rescue

you need to spend over £50, but the postage is free.

enmac
    Free Member

I have been running a set of non-UST’s 2.2’s on one bike and 2.4’s on another all year. I run them tubeless with Stan’s without any problems. I prefer the non-UST as they are lighter and the sidewalls have a Snakeskin finish so haven’t had a problem there either.

jedi

2.2 rq are black chilli if ust

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I run some 2.2 non UST’s on my Mavic Sx’s. Not had any issues, much lighter than the UST’s and find it easier up hill. I do have a set of UST 2.4’s that I had first and they are pretty heavy, but much tougher and I can run them at a lower pressure. I’ll be putting the 2.4’s back on for the Alps next summer (but there are no ups there).

Northwind

My non-UST ones took forever to seal- very porous sidewalls, you could hear them frothing away. But once they eventually sealed up, they were fine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Black Chill Rubber Queen UST or not’ is closed to new replies.