Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bivvying on SDW – any tips?
  • ibnchris

Thinking about an overnight adventure on the downs. Leaving after kids bedtime, ride for a bit, bivvy up, short ride in the morning and back for work. Any tips on finding spots to bivvy etc? It’ll be in the Lewes area I suspect

Poopscoop

I’ve done it a few times.

Dont underestimate how cold/wet (morning dew, even if no rain) it can get.
    Just find somewhere a little off the beaten track,out of the wind if necessary and leave it as you found it.

Technically you aren’t meant to “camp” but I’ve never once had any issues other than being bloody cold/wet one night.

Do it, it’s an amazing place to see the sunrise.👍

TheBrick
    Free Member

Berry your poo and burn the paper or carry out in plastic bag.

kayak23

Berry your poo

*makes mental note to avoid fruit picking on Sdw…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Friston forest has plenty of room to disappear in. Jevington tap is close by.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Camp high – less condensation in the mornings. So many places to sleep around Lewes, just get off the Way proper cos there is always the DofE kids shitting in little copses and they are still mastering bushcraft…..

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Also done it a few times. Great place for a bivvy, I’ve always slept high up on sunny days.

Be aware of cows anywhere near – once chose what was what appeared to be a “private” spot only to have then have woken up with them licking our sleeping bags.

Also make sure you’re a decent distance away from a road, you can get the odd night-crawlers arriving there to drink etc. Made that mistake in the past an had to move on.

TheBrick
    Free Member

makes mental note to avoid fruit picking on Sdw

Lol! Auto correct plus dyslexia strikes again.

ibnchris

Thanks guys. Sounds encouraging. Reckon I’ll aim for some time mid August and go high up for the views and less dew!

Poopscoop

I think this is called a temperature inversion?

Took it early morning during my SDW ride from a few days back. Was a bit damp.😁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bivvying on SDW – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.