Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Bivi, do you?
  • rOcKeTdOg

looking at the contents of the latest mag, there’s yet another Bivi article

how many of you bivi, are thinking of bivving or have no interest at all?

i’d say i was bivi curious

santacoops
    Free Member

I’m into it, although need to rethink my kit as its heavier than the moon at the moment.

MrSparkle

Like you Rocketdog – bivvi curious. I have got a plastic spork though…

rOcKeTdOg

I have got a plastic spork though

😀

is there a bivi equivalent of Glamping? i like my comforts

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Did loads of it as part of my old job.

And yeah, love it.

Just been buying new kit to start again..

Can’t wait.

thepurist

I was thinking when I read the article that it’s probably not something you can do if you’re stuck in the SE – IMO it’d be like camping in the back garden when you were a kid. Surely down here you can’t get far enough away from civilisation to make it worthwhile – you need access to “proper countryside” to do that. Or are there really legions of people out bivvying in the Chilterns & Surrey Hills?

Mounty_73

I like the idea of doing a bivi….I’m very curious…..and I hope I get around to actually doing a bivi trip 😉

I dont usually read the stw mag, but I will be getting this months… 😉

matthewlhome
    Free Member

yes, but only a couple of times. Being a bit scaredy cat is the main stopper for me 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

Used to bivi loads before the wife and kids. Still got all the kit mind. Might try to get away one night this summer.

EDIT:

Urban bivi-ing in France a few years back;

yunki
    Free Member

always used to bivi when fishing.. or travelling.. sometimes for weeks or months at a time.. but it was a different set of kit designed to be moved by car and wheelbarrow..

I’m bivi curious but don’t have the lightweight kit..

TheBrick
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    I was thinking when I read the article that it’s probably not something you can do if you’re stuck in the SE – IMO it’d be like camping in the back garden when you were a kid. Surely down here you can’t get far enough away from civilisation to make it worthwhile – you need access to “proper countryside” to do that. Or are there really legions of people out bivvying in the Chilterns & Surrey Hills?

Plenty of good places in the SE, south downs is my favourite, the ridgeway looks like it has some good possibility but only ever ridden that on a short rides never bivied there. Even the north downs can be good with care. It’s about choosing your spot carefully so it feels remote, remember even if you camped in a really busy spot at 9 pm at night and 6:30 on the morning it will not be busy! Unless you go into deepest Wales or Scotland you will never be that remote anyway. Just look at a map find a good place to camp and set a route around it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bivvi’d a lot on my recent trip to Europe.

Am wanting to do more.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Perhaps we should organize a bivi for virgins trip 😈

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Reckon there’s more of it goes on than you think 😉

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/

In it’s purist form it can be a touch marmite but add a few refinements and it’s great. A trip doesn’t need to be days on end either. Out after work into the hills and back for breakfast is just as valid IMO.

Houns

Also Bivi curious, have been buying some bits and pieces, just need to get out of the door and do it now

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    Also Bivi curious, have been buying some bits and pieces, just need to get out of the door and do it now

Right.

Let’s get something squared away then… Either in Cannock or Delamere..

Or better still, the Lakes/Peak.

Gimmie some dates youre free..

And don’t be getting teh Fakes™ 🙂

Mounty_73

I am slowly building up some half decent kit, then perhaps I will get around to giving it a go.

Any good bivi spots around Worcestershire ? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tent for me. I have bivvyed and its a been a cold wet and miserable experience. You don’t save significant weight over taking a tent.

Perhaps its because I go into remote corners of Scotland where there is no pub 20 mins away if it rains.

I have an unused bivvy bag to sell if anyone wants it.

willard

Bivi when I have to, or when I feel like travelling light, tent when I have other people with me.

Actually, I really like biviing. It feels freer than having a tent.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not as much as i’d like. due to time constraints.

grantyboy
    Free Member

I’ve been buying up the kit this season, intend on getting out and giving it a blast in the next few weeks

Dave
    Free Member

Predictable TJ, predictable ;o)

We’re heading abroad for our next bivvy adventure, we’re going Alpine :o)

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

You missed out tedious 😉

stanley

Bivvied last night 🙂

Just got back home and enjoying my first coffee.

On top of Mount Famine- Peak District.
    Went up quite late, watched the sun go down whilst enjoying some port and two different cheeses.

Was a bit windy so I snuggled right up to a dry-stone wall. It was great!

A farmer appeared first thing on his quad bike; looking for sheep (shearing today)- don’t know who was most surprised to see somebody else!

gusamc
    Free Member

I’ve tarpaulined, which was ok.
    As an alternative I think the Travelodge £19 bivi has a lot going for it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

RD asked the question – I gave my answer.

I bet I have bivvyed more nights than most of you. But because my experiences with the downsides have led me away from bivvying I must not comment?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

what cheese for bivi-curious?

stanley

As much as I love bivvying, I agree with TJ to some degree. My lightweight tent is only a few grams heavier than the bag, can sit up in it, cook in it, get changed in it, etc. If I was out for more than one night I’d take the tent.

For me the bivvy shines as it does feel more ‘earthy’. It is quick to set up and leave, it ain’t going to blow down, and it doesn’t need a tent size area to squeeze into!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Stanley: Morning, are you shearing?
    Farmer: No, get your own.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I bet I have bivvyed more nights than most of you. But because my experiences with the downsides have led me away from bivvying I must not comment?

Oh do stop waving it about will you 😛

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m bivy curious, I’ve brought a very small tent which needs the door left open so the condensation doesn’t rain down on me, does that count ?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Yea tent can count, as long as it’s either, small and cramped, very expensive or crap 😉

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I’ve got both tent (gelert Solo) and Bivi (old MOD one), still not really used them I keep buying stuff but never manage to get out…..! its going to happen for sure in a couple of weeks as the SDW keeps calling for me…

franki
    Free Member

I’ve not bivvied, but I’d like to give it a go one day.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’m starting to wonder if a ‘virgin’ bivvy trip could be in order like UrbanHiker says 😉

Are all the ‘virgins’ based in the same sort of area?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m bivy-curious, also. I need to Just Do It.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so does anyone want a cheap unused bivvybag then?

kevj
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

so does anyone want a cheap unused bivvybag then?

Yes, I’ll start the bidding at a pound.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

email me.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Stu, I’m based in Southampton but can travel If a ‘Virgin’ trip is on. After not making it to WRT maybe wales could be the place of choice for a mass bivi fest?

Tandem J, What Bag is on offer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Bivi, do you?’ is closed to new replies.