Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Biutiful, and Alejandro González Iñárritu
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Have watched 21 Grams, Babel, and Amores Perros, and have just finished Biutiful.

I thought Bardem was brilliant in it, and the ending was fantastic, but it seemed to drag on, I don’t think it needed the entire 2 hours and 40 minutes. One of those very very good films, but not in an entertaining way, so I think of the 4 my favourite has got to be 21 Grams.

I’d actually compare it to Darren Aronofsky’s film The Wrestler. Starts off depressing, and just gets more so, until a near glorious release at the end through death.

Any other thoughts? And as always, any other similar recommendations?

donsimon
    Free Member

Any other thoughts?

Basque surnames are a PITA in the pronunciation stakes.

zimbo
    Free Member

I thought Biutiful was brilliant, but so bleak it was almost painful to watch. Don’t remember it feeling over-long though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, just re-read my original post and it did sound a bit critical. I think it could’ve lost about 15 minutes somewhere in the middle, that’s the only part when I felt it lost it’s momentum for a bit. I’d give it something like 8/10, but I’d say it’s got one of the best endings of all the films I’ve ever seen.

donsimon
    Free Member

Have you tried Almodóvar films?
    A favourite of mine is Tacones Lejanos.

zimbo
    Free Member

but I’d say it’s got one of the best endings of all the films I’ve ever seen.

I know what you mean – it somehow redeemed all that bleakness in one short scene.
    That final shot in 21 grams, too – if I remember correctly it was a disused swimming pool in the snow – I still don’t fully understand the relevance of it, but it captivated me when I saw it. Innaritu seems to have a way of leaving a film rattling round your soul.

I love Central and South American films – saw a lovely Argentinian one called Las Acacias last week.

RealMan
    Free Member

I love Central and South American films

I’ve not seen enough to say I’m a big fan, but the ones I have seen have been pretty good. City of God was excellent. I don’t know if you’d put Buried into that category, but definitely a brilliant film as well.

No, I haven’t, but may give them a look, cheers.

zimbo
    Free Member

No, I haven’t, but may give them a look, cheers.

“The Skin I Live In” is great, if strangely disturbing…

donsimon
    Free Member

You might want to give Juanjo Ballesta (actor) a search, El Bola is excellent and Planta 4 got good reports, but I haven’t seen it yet.

RealMan
    Free Member

“The Skin I Live In” is great, if strangely disturbing…

Just had a look on IMDB. Looks like the perfect mix of brilliant directing and sci fi, with a big old chunk of weird. Definitely on my list. Thanks.

RealMan
    Free Member

As Planta 4^a doesn’t really give you much of a clue what the film is going to be about, from IMDB…

Growing up together. All emotions pass the revue. Friendship and hope survive all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319917/

Well that clears that up then.

shooterman

I thought Biutiful was fantastic. Very harrowing at times though.

You might also enjoy Un Prophet and Messrine (part 1 more so than part 2).

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d actually say to go for the earlier Almodóvar, before he discovered he could make lots of money out of being a poor victim of a RC upbringing in Ciudad Real and benefit from Monica’s sister acting. What’s her name?
    It’s good that they’ve worked together and finally got onto the world stage but Almodóva’s earlier stuff is top. I’d probably look at Volver and earlier.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well that clears that up then.

TBH I don’t know which films have been given exposure over here or whether they are dubbed or subtitled, IMO subtitles better.
    Apologies.

zimbo
    Free Member

whether they are dubbed or subtitled, IMO subtitles better.

Nothing ruins a good foreign film more than dubbing. Why, oh why, do they ever do that?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Havent seen it yet but Amores Perros is one of my favourite films

The title music from Control Machete is one of the most bad ass pieces of soundtrack music too.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5HTBYR7m0o[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing ruins a good foreign film more than dubbing. Why, oh why, do they ever do that?

When it goes the other way and the foreign film is a product of Hollywood, the question seems less relevant.

RealMan
    Free Member

Havent seen it yet but Amores Perros is one of my favourite films

What? EDIT: Oh, you mean you haven’t seen Biutiful. I should go to bed.

zimbo
    Free Member

When it goes the other way and the foreign film is a product of Hollywood, the question seems less relevant.

Don’t quite understand what you mean…can you elaborate?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d actually compare it to Darren Aronofsky’s film The Wrestler. Starts off depressing, and just gets more so, until a near glorious release at the end through death.

Any other thoughts?

That’s saved me the bother of watching The Wrestler then.

Thanks for that.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t quite understand what you mean…can you elaborate?

It is difficult to translate the emotion and feeling of the actors through dubbing, but your average Hollywood film isn’t going to lose anything in the translation.

RealMan
    Free Member

That’s saved me the bother of watching The Wrestler then.

Thanks for that.

Ahh bollocks sorry. Although to be fair it is pretty obvious what’s going to happen, the film is pretty much devoid of hope entirely.

zimbo
    Free Member

Ahh bollocks sorry. Although to be fair it is pretty obvious what’s going to happen, the film is pretty much devoid of hope entirely.

…and a really good film is worth watching even if you know what’s going to happen…

zimbo
    Free Member

Oh, and have a watch of an Irish film called “Garage”, RealMan (if you haven’t already!). I have a feeling you may enjoy it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it sounds like you are looking for meaning of the life/death conundrum realman, good on you for having a think, it’s impossible. You are only really going to find that by living life I guess. or shakesspeare! or The Wire!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Biutiful, and Alejandro González Iñárritu’ is closed to new replies.