Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Bitten by a dog!
  • tjagain

I know – it was one of you dog lovers set me up- wasn’t it.
    I was happily cycling along plugging away uphill at 3 mph.  two young dogs off the lead with their owner.  Without warning the dog lunged at me and bit me.  Nothing – no snarl, no standoff, no warning at all.  It looked like it was going to run past me but bit my ankle on the way past.  Lurcher type things but pale and bigger than a greyhound

In all fairness the dog owner looked really shocked and apologetic and the dogs were young.  I decided not to make anything further of it although I wonder if I should have done but hopefully the owner will take hed and control his dogs / muzzle them in future

So all of those who say you don’t get bitten if you know how to behave round dogs and its up to us to avoid confrontations with dogs explain this?

Have fun chaps

obelix
    Free Member

Good boy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kick it’s face off.

Drac

Wouldn’t have happened if you’d been wearing a helmet.

tjagain

No beer – its seemed somewhat churlish to do so after it had bitten me.  If it had warned of attack in any way it would have got the boot to the face as a pre-emptive strike but afterwards?

project
    Free Member

Glad the dog is ok.Fit and well.

Cougar

Blimey.  Is the dog ok?

ads678

Kick the owners face off.

Cougar

FOURTEEN SECONDS!  GODS DAMN IT, PROJECT!!

tjagain

Dogs got food poisoning I hope

bigjim

When’s the next full moon?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I was bitten by a dog a few years ago.

The reason I was given by the owners?  I was wearing a red jacket so I looked like a postman.

anagallis_arvensis

Hope the dogs had its shots!!!!

Seriously though hope you are ok. Was it a full on bite or a a nip? Lurchers are normally very non aggressive unless you are a rabbit…stupid **** owners etc.

djflexure

Perhaps it was just encouraging you to go faster 🙂

Take it on the chin – life isn’t perfect

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had one nipping at my calf, young spaniel looking thing. It got a kick in the head which only dissuaded it briefly. Didn’t have time to stop and kick the owners in the head as I decided to bugger off before the dog got another go

bearnecessities

This is my church
    This is where I heal my hurts
    For tonight
    Dog bit a TJ

Rorschach
    Free Member

One assumes he/she knows who you are.

tjagain

AA – enough to break skin thru trousers – perhaps not a full on bite but more than a nip.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – enough to break skin thru trousers – perhaps not a full on bite but more than a nip.

Still enough to hurt, hope it is ok tomorrow.

funkmasterp

Were you wearing moleskin trousers?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Had the same a few weeks ago – same type of dog and a nip through my tights. Punctured skin and bruised up – dog was out of control though and I regret not reporting it.

rob2
    Free Member

I had something similar two years ago. I had to have stitches – it was about a 3cm cut in my leg. Absolutely knacked for about a week. Almost exactly the same circumstance too.

The owner didn’t give a hoot. Said something like “she is only 12 months old and not done it before”. That’s fine then obviously!

I did report it to the police but nothing came of it.

Meh

cloudnine
    Free Member

3mph..?

Time for an E- Bike

eddie11
    Free Member

Got bitten by dog as a kid. Police destroyed it.

rickmeister

Did you bite the owner… After all….

your only a young un,

Just playing

dont usually do that

etc etc..

singletrackmind

It could be  childs face  next time.

3mph…hope it was a 1 in 3  hill , and  draggy  grass over   saturated  mud

tjagain

If it had been a more serious bite I would have taken it further and I would have had the police involved.

tjagain

singletrackmind – it was virtually a cliff!

angeldust
    Free Member

Easy to explain why it happened.  You dont know how to behave around dogs because you are scared of them, and unable to change your behaviour due to general stubbornness and that fear.

Now they have the taste of your blood, they’ll be after you each time you go out.

tjagain

Angledust – I know thats intended to be funny but it isn’t in the context of your previous personal attacks on me.  I posted this just to show the nonsense of that point of view which you and others make on every thread about dogs.

According to you and other dog apologists its my fault I got bitten because I don’t know how to behave round dogs  Well how on earth could I have done anything different here?  There was no warning at all and all I was doing was cycling along slowly towards the dog

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Oh look more dogs off leads and owners not giving two f***s.

Surprise surprise.

tjagain

Actually the owner was very apologetic, looked shocked and offered to pay for my trousers which is why I didn’t take it any further

angeldust
    Free Member

If you are looking for examples to back up previous arguments, I can confirm that the last 500 times I have cycled past dogs I’ve managed not to get bitten.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I would (in principle) use it as a teaching moment and have a go at the dog in whatever way came to mind. Used to get hassled by a farm dog on a running route (very minor public road, loose dog). After charging at it shouting and kicking a couple of times it learnt to stay clear. I didn’t actually make contact but would happily have done so if it had been close enough.

fooman

Worth getting the owners details so you know where to send the bill if you need medical treatment / time off work. I needed 2 rounds of antibiotics last time I was bitten in a similar no warning attack.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Good for you for having some perspective and not going into full handwringing litigation-mode. I love dogs. But if one tried to bite me, I would hoof it into the middle of next week.

theotherjonv

Sorry to hear it.

According to you and other dog apologists its my fault I got bitten because I don’t know how to behave round dogs

But (and **** knows why I’m walking into this again, but as one of your “dog apologists”) ….. no it isn’t and no it doesn’t. You got bitten by an uncontrolled dog which potentially would have bitten you whatever you did. There are things you can do, ways you can act, to reduce the possibility, but not remove completely. You did nothing wrong, the blame entirely lies on the dog and the owner.

tjagain

Fair enough jonv – I completely disagree with you tho.  there is nothing I could have done here to prevent this.

theotherjonv

I know. There is no disagreement here, and you have taken it very well….possibly better than I as “an apologist” would.

Where we do disagree, is where a dog runs up to you with no malice, but inquisitive (and I accept it’s not always easy to discern). I maintain if you act properly, ie total disinterest, it will quickly be disinterested in you. If however you react, start shouting, waving hands, pushing it or kicking out, in my opinion you increase the chance of prolonging or escalating the situation, including of being bitten.

Which was clearly not the case here. It just bit anyway, and nothing you should have done changes that. The blame is entirely on the dog and owner.

feed

This is my church
    This is where I heal my hurts
    For tonight
    Dog bit a TJ

Very good, very clever, had a chuckle, but you demeaned it by posting the vid link, make us work for it !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Bitten by a dog!’ is closed to new replies.