Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bitex hubs or something else.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I am looking at a new wheel build.

110 x 15 TA boost front
    148 x 12 TA Boost rear
    6 bolt
    Happy with j pull unless you think its worth doing straight?

I have been a superstar/novatec advocate but looking to step up in quality, but not too far I’m a cheapskate..

I see people mentioning bitex hubs. They look well priced but are they just similar to novatec, better or worse. Link here https://bitexhubs.co.uk/product-category/mountain-bike-hubs/
    Or recommend something else, not too expensive..

ransos
    Free Member

I had a set built for my road bike last summer. So far so good but it’s difficult to comment on long term durability. Nothing wrong with Novatec hubs, mind.

5plusn8
    Free Member

No I like novatec, no real reason not to use them again other than fancying something different.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ive been impressed with Halo MTs recently.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I had a set of halo vapour wheels 26″ they were tough as old boots.

Edit I have had a look, they look exactly the same as novatecs, I am no expert, but like exactly..

joebristol

Our local wheel builder uses Bitex ans reckons they’re decent. Similar level to Hope and they are meant to be easy to service / get parts for.

A mate was looking for a new rear hub and I suggested Bitex – he’s happy with it so far although not had it a huge length of time. He’s had all sorts of issues with Shimano hubs – snapped 2 rear axles (Zee and I think Slx) – and pitted bearing cones etc.

I think they’re reasonably quiet – certainly a lot quieter than a Hope Pro 4 but louder than Shimano.

Obviously a Hope Pro 4 is also worth a look as is a DT Swiss 350.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I bought a set of JRA Stans wheels that come on Bitex hubs 3.5 year ago. I have since had the wheels rebuilt with DT Swiss rims. Only had the bearings changed once so far and that was because I was getting the LBS to change a couple of frame bearings at the same time; not because they felt bad. Still going strong and I ride the bike all year round, so a thumbs up from me.

6 degree engagement and the sounds is nice, not too loud but loud enough to warn people you are coming up behind.

plus-one

Had bitex on set of Chinese carbon hoops done lots of miles. Bearing change after couple of years all good. They are light too(ones I had)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

have had a look, they look exactly the same as novatecs, I am no expert, but like exactly..

Its difficult to say. Novatech seem to produce about a bazillion different hubs. The only other place Ive seen the supadrive style hub pickup is in Chosen hubs.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Its difficult to say. Novatech seem to produce about a bazillion different hubs. The only other place Ive seen the supadrive style hub pickup is in Chosen hubs.

I’m not really an expert, a hub is a hub innit..

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Bitex seem good to me. Hadn’t heard of them until my wheelbuilder recommended them. Nice sound, not too loud, plenty of engagement points, no slipping, still running smooth, strip of steel to stop the cassette digging in. In fact I’m having another built up now.

squealer
    Free Member

i’ve had a set on a set of just riding along traildog carbon wheels for 3 years now. I was dubious when i saw JRA had stopped using DT swiss and switched to these but having spoken to them before buying they reassured me they were equally as reliable and lighter than DT 350’s.
    3 years in and not 1 issue with the wheels, i’m even still using the original bearings which are still totally fine.

i’d have them again

deanfbm
    Free Member

I was looking at these, the just riding along ones look to have upgraded stainless bearings as I understood it, but you’re really not the far away, around £40ish from hope pro 4s, I would just pay that little extra for hope.

ransos
    Free Member

Our local wheel builder uses Bitex ans reckons they’re decent. Similar level to Hope and they are meant to be easy to service / get parts for.

Ryanbuildswheels? He built my set, but my primary motivation was that they came in silver which I wanted for a classic steel frame.

5plusn8
    Free Member

@deabfm – I am one of the rare hope haterz, so if the bitex are nearly as good then I would do anything to avoid hope…

joebristol

Yes

Alpha1653

Joe’s not talking about me, but I have a set of Bitex built by Ryan into a gravel wheel set. They’ve not done big miles yet but they’re light, look smart and sound great: not shimano quiet, not hope loud but between the two with more of a buzz than a clicks sound if that makes sense. I was after Hope but budget didn’t allow; Ryan recommended Bitex as the next best thing within budget.

As for Bitex vs Novatec I asked Ryan this directly:

“Bitex are miles above Novatec; machining quality is better, freehub mechanism is ace, exceptionally easy to service (see videos on Bitexhubs.co.uk), seals are good and we apply our in house weatherproofing treatment to outboard bearings and freehub internals alike.  They give a dampened and quiet pleasant whir as opposed to a loud click ala Hope.”

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

if the bitex are nearly as good then I would do anything to avoid hope…

Better I’d say. Didn’t get Bitex hubs to save money. Hope are obnoxiously loud, with crap bearings and a poorly sealed freehub that lets water in, which rusts through the pawl springs and strands the rider out in the boondocks. *puts on flame suit and heads for the exit*

Northwind

I’ve used some higher end Novatecs, and just used Bitex (branded as Pacenti) for a new build basically because they were ridiculously cheap for the performance. They’ve all been perfectly decent. For regular mtb use I still stick to DT, because I don’t just want decent, I want to batter them about for years, ride them through swamps, put them away wet and know they’ll work if I don’t move the bike for a month, and then fit them to the next bike…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Novatech seem to produce about a bazillion different hubs.

71 different hubs on their website, plus a bunch more OE ones that they don’t advertise, plus who knows how many legacy models that you can still find on sale/in wheels/in bikes but which they don’t support any more. Makes it pretty much pot luck for spares- if you’ve got a popular model then they’re not usually bad, if you’ve got an old or poor selling one it can be impossible.

njcisca

I’ve got Bitex 106R/106F on my gravel bike, not needed to touch them in two years despite being used all year and all conditions. Bearings still perfect, freehub smooth and quiet. Light and loads of choice for axles/discs/freehubs too. Previously had some of the better novatecs but these are a definite step up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bitex hubs or something else.’ is closed to new replies.