Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Bitcoin for n00bs?
  • footflaps

Bitcoin still not really “useable”.

Can’t see it ever being anything more than a speculative oddity.

It’s too volatile / illiquid to be a real currency of any sort.

finbar
    Free Member

Finally just bought in. £71 / 0.0049 bitcoins worth.

I am assuming that money is essentially gone, but now I’ve learned just about enough to have a punt in good time if there’s another crash.

Earl
    Free Member

Floating between 22.8k usd right now. How often are you checking the price OP?

jekkyl

It’s amazing what you can get delivered to your house these days. Fans of dried herbs would do well to search littlebiggy 😉

finbar
    Free Member

Floating between 22.8k usd right now. How often are you checking the price OP?

I keep a closer eye on the Dow 😉 – don’t even know how much I’m up by (or if someone’s hacked my wallet yet…!).

justinbieber

@finbar – you should be up by about 70% now right?

I’m just gutted I didn’t buy any back in March this year.

anyone fancy taking a punt on when it’s going to stop climbing?

ugarizza
    Free Member

It’s gone BONKERS!
    Who knows when it will stop?

If you ever follow Crypto Twitter (like the Twitter accounts of the Winklevoss Twins or Michael Saylor), it is very disturbing. They hype it like it’s guaranteed to hit 500k in the future.
    I’d be concerned that people are putting money in that they can’t afford to lose, putting it in bitcoin instead of a pension, even borrowing to buy bitcoin based on these recommendations.
    If a banker came out and said the kind of moronic garbage that these guys do about BTC, they’d be in prison!

That said, it is going bonkers up at the moment, and with the miniscule amount I have – I’m HODLing for now!

justinbieber

yeah, I tend not to follow crypto-Twitter – it just seems to be full of people hyping or pulling it down. No middle ground whatsoever.

It’s interesting that it’s being reported on the bbc again – I remember back in 2017 with the last big peak that it was all over the news. Makes me wonder if it’ll go the same way this time or just keep climbing.

either way, it’s far beyond the point of being able to be used for daily transactions. It’s just a speculative investment now

lotto
    Free Member

@finbar

Which method did you decide on to buy in with?

jimmy

it is very disturbing. They hype it like it’s guaranteed to hit 500k in the future.

There was a time they hyped it like it was guaranteed to hit $5k. Then $10k. etc

History says there will inevitably be a dip, but when it hits $500k that dip will be almost irrelevant. Buy and HODL.

Although, as a mate pointed out a long time back, by the time it’s worth $500k, that value may be irrelevant as BTC will probably be it’s own currency by then. PayPal are starting to enable BTC transactions, right?

ugarizza
    Free Member

I like this from Warren Buffet…

“If you buy something like a farm, an apartment house, or an interest in a business,” Buffet once said. “You can do that on a private basis. And it’s a perfectly satisfactory investment. You look at the investment itself to deliver the return to you. Now, if you buy something like bitcoin or some cryptocurrency, you don’t really have anything that has produced anything. You’re just hoping the next guy pays more.”

Sums it up for me, but appreciate there’s others who see it differently, here’s Michael Saylor on bitcoin, it’s gibberish to me, but hey ho he’s doubled his millions in months!

“#Bitcoin is Digital Gold – Harder, Smarter, Stronger, & Faster, Cyber Hornet Theory, Active & Organic Defenses, Fragility of Chinese Walls & Gatekeepers, Darwinian Response & Network Evolution, Smart Money, Monetary Force & Acceleration, Fast BTC Energy.”

hugo
    Free Member

Revolut is a sensible way to go if you want to buy Bitcoin.

I was sitting on £40k+ profit but didn’t cash out, thinking it was just the start but also it was convoluted back then. Worth about £2k now…

A Bitcoin is at its highest ever price. This is makes no sense whatsoever.

jimmy

Without checking back, I think I wrote that.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I was talking about my Crypto portfolio, which was 90% XRP (rather than BTC) and that went over 10x the value I’d bought in at very quickly. If I’d put the same value into BTC then instead, I’d be looking at a similar value now I guess.</span>

finbar
    Free Member

@finbar – you should be up by about 70% now right?

@justinbieber
    – I’ve bought a bit more in intervening weeks so not quite that much. I think I’ve put in about £900 and it’s ‘worth’ about £1400 at the moment. Will probably be down a similar amount in a month or two!

Which method did you decide on to buy in with?

@lotto
    – kraken.com . It has minuscule fees (0.26% on trades) and seems as legit as things get in crypto-world (i.e. kind of okay-ish!).

You need to upload two kinds of photo ID (passport/driving licence) and it takes a day or two to get your account approved. Then you can transfer in money in £GBP from a UK bank account with no additional charges. All very user-friendly

greentricky
    Free Member

PayPal are starting to enable BTC transactions, right?

Only in the US so far but it will be coming worldwide, they bought a large volume in December

sillysilly
    Free Member

So I was dollar cost averaging daily using BTCE / HANetf BTCetc Bitcoin ETC on Trading 212.

Worked so nicely but now it looks like it’s going to get pulled due to regulatory issues for retail investors.

Anyone else find a very cheap way of buying small amounts daily / weekly cheaply?

Coinbase are legit but super expensive to dollar cost average BTC. Never tried Kracken but looks less legit than Trading212 / Coinbase.

pk13

Kracken has been around a while. Etorro is expensive but legit and looking to get listed on the US stock exchange according to the web.
    I’ve been on etorro for over 4 years

greentricky
    Free Member

Coinbase are legit but super expensive to dollar cost average BTC. Never tried Kracken but looks less legit than Trading212 / Coinbase.

If you like coinbase, have you tried coinbase pro? It has much cheaper fees.

The regulation change is rubbish as no longer any way that I am aware of yo buy within an ISA wrapper

sillysilly
    Free Member

Awesome cheers, moving to pro.

alric
    Free Member

So Binance charges 0.1% per transaction, less if you use their own coin, BNB
    That seems a better deal to me, or am I missing something?

pk13

I’ve got a binace account too,like you typed cheaper if you use their own token the full fat pc version is horrible but the phone version is nice and simple to look at.

pdw
    Free Member

Even if I were happy to ignore the obvious concerns about rampant fraud, money laundering and manipulation, I wouldn’t put money into Bitcoin on environmental grounds (and I’m not much of an environmentalist). At the last count, global Bitcoin mining was using as much electricity as Belgium, and yet has absolutely no discernible benefit.

I always recommend David Gerard’s blog to anyone who’s interested in Bitcoin.

finbar
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put money into Bitcoin on environmental grounds (and I’m not much of an environmentalist). At the last count, global Bitcoin mining was using as much electricity as Belgium, and yet has absolutely no discernible benefit.

I don’t disagree, but equally I haven’t seen any comparative stats comparing the environmental impact of bitcoin to (for example) gold mining or the activities of BAT or BAE systems, who most people have shares in sitting in their pension schemes, etc…

sillysilly
    Free Member

vs chopping down trees / oil for production and transport of notes or the millions of staff globally within the banking industry… TBF would be interesting to see a decent analysis of environmental impact each format has. From what I hear most of the BTC mining is done on the back of cheap hydro in China.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Bitcoin for n00bs?’ is closed to new replies.