Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • "Bit of a milkshake"
  • vinnyeh

Wiggins has called Pendleton ‘a bit of a milkshake’

Never heard this before, what does it mean?

cranberry
    Free Member

She doesn’t rattle when shaken?

dissonance

Think its along the lines of “nice but thick” or “tasty but thick”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s gone down significantly in my estimation recently.

vinnyeh

He’s gone down significantly in my estimation recently.

He also called ‘marginal gains’ a load of tosh, so surely that must count for something?

aP
    Free Member

This is what I think of whenever I hear Bradley’s name now…

Northwind

She brings all the boys to the yard, obviously.

NZCol

That Skoda ad makes me shout drug cheat at the TV which was a pastime once only reserved exclusively for Alberto Contador. Do with that what you will.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Needs to take a step back and have a look at at himself before he starts badmouthing others.
    On a very steep downward trajectory. Gone from mildly amusing, cocky geezer to b*ll*nd in pretty short order, imho.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Needs to take a step back and have a look at at himself before he starts badmouthing others.
    On a very steep downward trajectory. Gone from mildly amusing, cocky geezer to b*ll*nd in pretty short order, imho.

+ 1
    Does seem to love courting controversy these days. I once loved his determination and dedication, sporting wise I still do, his guitar playing and swagger too.. but Brad, why start pissing people off ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but Brad, why start pissing people off ?

I can sort of get it, if you spent every day of your working life being questioned, having accusations leveled at you, being called a cheat and a fraud how would you react? I think several people posting would probably suggest a union and lawyer for the every day working bloke.

Daffy

If you read the article, the way it’s reported is taken a little out of order and context.

..he says the Milkshake thing in a jokey, familiar kind of way which sort of implies…”yeah,but you’ve gotta understand Vicky…” sort of thing, I don’t think it’s intended to be derogatory.

vinnyeh

yeah, yeah, but what does ‘bit of a milkshake’ mean?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah well, I didn’t read the article and in typical STW fashion became a bit of a keyboard handwringer..

nickc

Better to remain silent and let people think you’re a fool, than speak up and remove all doubt

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Ah well, I didn’t read the article and in typical STW fashion became a bit of a keyboard handwringer..

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

nickc – Member
    Better to remain silent and let people think you’re a fool, than speak up and remove all doubt

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Bit harsh.

😉

convert

‘a bit of a milkshake’ – internally ‘blended’ or messed up maybe?

Told that Pendleton said she could never have won all her medals without Peters’ input, Wiggins joked: “But Vicky’s a bit of a milkshake anyway.

I suspect he is inferring she would have been in need of a psychiatrist if she was a top cyclist or working on a checkout.

He might be right….but was it his place to say it?

allthepies
    Free Member

Started with the sleeve tats.

metalheart
    Free Member

I think it means she doesn’t have the need to resort to dodgy TUEs immediately prior to major races.

Of course, I might be wrong… 😉

Also, we all know just exactly how highly esteemed the women are in british cycling. Brad’s a product of this.

ads678

He might be right….but was it his place to say it?

I would imagine they know each other fairly well!

Any one have a link to the actual article?

mrhoppy

Whether it’s done in jest or not BC need comments like that like a hole in the head right now.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Any one have a link to the actual article?

I think it was a taxing interview on that famous bear-bating pit of inquisitive aggression that is Soccer AM. Wiggins used it to make a few oblique comments about how he was going to bring the whole house down when he finally tells his side of the jiffy bag story. I assume he’ll manage to criticise BC/Sky without endangering his TdeF or Olympic wins by actually admitting to wrongdoing, so I have managed my expectations.

shaggy

Link.

I also read it as “nice but thick”.

SaxonRider

I don’t see much wrong with anything he said in the article to be honest. I don’t know what ‘milkshake’ means, but it just seems like Wiggins is a fairly straight-talker who therefore doesn’t do much editing before the words come out.

And I quite agree with his point about marginal gains. At the end of the day, a really successful athlete is someone who has the right combination of talent, mindset, physical skill, and right training. Sure, there may be little things that can help him or her do a bit better, but those must be peripheral at best.

Except in the case of Lance, whose body sounds like something akin to a Novartis storage facility.

theflatboy
    Free Member

People after a link, I read it all here – http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/blazin-saddles-bradley-wiggins-slams-rubbish-marginal-gains_sto6106372/story.shtml – which hits a pretty perfect tone of sardonic digs at Wiggins throughout the article, IMO.

aP
    Free Member

I thought we had Jonathan Vaughters to thank for BW’s sudden change into GC winner?
    I remember seeing BW, whilst at Cofidis, grinding up in the autobus during S17 of the 2007 TdF on the Port de Pailhères climb – the massive change to 2008 2009, hmmm…

vinnyeh

And I quite agree with his point about marginal gains. At the end of the day, a really successful athlete is someone who has the right combination of talent, mindset, physical skill, and right training. Sure, there may be little things that can help him or her do a bit better, but those must be peripheral at best.

I can’t see how you can disagree, though I guess it depends what you classify as marginal gains- in a sport where winning margins are 100ths of a second on the track, or tens of seconds on a 3 week Grand Tour, then most any advantage has the potential to help, and to change the result at the pointy end of the field.
    In any sport, if you want to win, and you can make a change to improve performance, unless the price (monetary, health, time, legality) is prohibitive then the athlete who really wants to win will make that change.

edlong
    Free Member

Brad, why start pissing people off ?

He’s trying to find a place for himself post-cycling career, ideally in the meedja.

Perhaps he’s had a glance at how much money that Hopkins woman is bringing in as a professional troll, and compared that to how much every other Apprentice reject has made (except maybe that reggae sauce fella).

See also: Piers Morgan

People who’ve achieved what he has get tv progs made about them, but people always trotting out bland, safe, PR approved platitudes don’t get their own series.

martinhutch

So I think that marginal gains are more for other people maybe to justify their jobs. I think it’s true. Fundamentals – talent, hard work and dedication – are more important. Because that 5% on top – that’s not going to make you win the bike race if you don’t have the other 95% underneath.

Well, yes, obviously. But if the other bloke also has the 95%, the 5% suddenly gets more important…

Still, he’s got to milk his money from wherever he can these days, he’s clearly given the same chat to dozens of other middle-management get-togethers.

midlifecrashes

“Bit of a milkshake” sounds a lot like he’s trying to emulate Shane Sutton in his attitudes and language.

atlaz
    Free Member

From that Blazin’ Saddles piece this is the bit I find confusing too…

It wasn’t, after all, a probing House of Commons anti-doping committee to which Wiggins was inexplicably never invited.

As for marginal gains, the key word is “marginal”… if a mattress gained you 10% performance, Silent Night would be doing jiffy bag deliveries. The thing is that you sleep better in your own bed, in your own room etc so replicating the same thing day in day out across some random hotel is a small benefit. Having a kick ass bus with showers inside, internet etc is a small benefit. They’re perhaps not noticeable individually but together they’re helping… or the delivery from the women’s coach and TUEs are… Brad didn’t win a TdF without them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh dear. Seems like he’s resentful over the Sky hype and desperate to shore up the credibility of his wins.

The Pendleton comment is very disrespectful IMO, regardless of genders.

He’s gone from lovable bell end to embittered bell end. Wonder why that could be, eh?

SaxonRider

embittered bell end

Not quite seeing it. What am I missing? (Serious question.)

tomhoward

he’s clearly given the same chat to dozens of other middle-management get-togethers.

This. I imagine any chats he has with groups of school kids or the WI might be somewhat different. He presented what his audience wanted to hear.

juanghia
    Free Member

This. I imagine any chats he has with groups of school kids or the WI might be somewhat different. He presented what his audience wanted to hear.

Like the time he made lewd sex references to the audience at a Charity event for the victims of Child sex abuse?

He got dragged to his TDF win by Froome, and had to use performance enhancing substance as hard as he could within the TUE system to get there. If he was a remotely affable person you might forgive him like David Millar but he’s not, I genuinely hope WADA look retrospectively into the misuse of TUE’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saxon Rider…

” So I think that marginal gains are more for other people maybe to justify their jobs. I think it’s true. Fundamentals – talent, hard work and dedication – are more important. Because that 5% on top – that’s not going to make you win the bike race if you don’t have the other 95% underneath.”

The whole idea is that everyone DOES have the other 95%.

The same with the whole chimp theory – that there’s a chimp living inside you. It never struck a chord with me. The people it struck a chord with are those who made fortunes selling it and telling you it’s the best thing since microwaves.

Not everyone is the same though Bradders.

Later, when she asked Wiggins whether or not he’d be happy if his son was to try his hand at following in his footsteps and becoming a cyclist, Wiggins said: “The way things are going at the moment – no.”

Speaks for itself.

midlifecrashes

If he was a remotely affable person you might forgive him like David Millar

Oi, who said anyone here forgives that dirty cheating scumbag?

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of deep insights into his character given on here. How many of you know him?

How many of you know how much someone’s personality can be distorted by even well-intentioned media?

chakaping
    Free Member

While I wouldn’t take such a hard line on Millar, I’d still have more time for Wiggo than him.

Shame the interviewer didn’t ask him about DM actually, I get the impression there’s no love lost.

SaxonRider

The whole idea is that everyone DOES have the other 95%.

Yes, I understand that, but the perception often being put out there is that these instruments for marginal gains work like the old comic books ads,

whereas in fact, the whole doping question is often one of slight overuse of an antihistamine (or whatever).

In any case, the whole situation just makes me sad, when cycling (of whatever type) and competing on a bike should all be about fun, the virtues of sportmanship, and personal development. To not want your own child to do what you did is a tragic indictment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘"Bit of a milkshake"’ is closed to new replies.