Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bit nervous
  • marcg868
    Free Member

Becoming a bit of a wimp in the past twelve months and it’s starting to effect my rides or planned rides.
    Not through my riding but from bike being nicked or assaulted for bike etc.
    now they aren’t the most expensive bikes on earth Trek X Caliber 7 and Giant Trance 29 brand new.
    But I’m actually nervous about riding the canal Leeds Liverpool between Blackburn and Burnley I live inbetween in Rishton.
    Or getting through rough Estates to get to the hills above Accrington.
    Ten years ago I wouldn’t of hesitated to try and smash a group of three on my own but nowadays I’m a little more nervous.
    I usually ride during the weekday and hardly see anyone but fancy a big ride this Sunday.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Any opportunity to skip those areas by taking bike in train or tram? Or in the car?

drew27
    Free Member

Carry a set of bombers?

MoreCashThanDash

Have there been incidents in these areas or is this anxiety from reports from elsewhere?

Just to see if your perceptions are fact based, which helps me with my anxieties a bit.

Anyone you could ride with? Shout out for fellow locals on here.

coynie09
    Free Member

I’m from Ossy and ride leeds- Liverpool Blackburn Burnley a lot never had any problems (full sup/ hardtail). There’s the odd spot (Bolton rd) B/burn near locks but as for Accy/Rish/Hardwood all fine most estates can be circled around on better tracks plenty of local pages on Facebook…

stwhannah

Not to diminish the OP’s fears, because it feels rubbish to be thinking like that. But, my first reaction on seeing this thread was ‘welcome to the world of women’. I didn’t say that when I saw it this morning because I thought maybe I’m just being hypersensitive because I’ve had cause to report an incident involving my daughter to the police this week. But then I’ve since realised I’m not the only woman to have had that reaction.

So, at risk of thread derailment, if you ever find yourself in the position of the OP, even on occasion, spare a thought for all the women and girls who make these calculations on a daily basis. And if your daughters, friends and partners ever tell you something has happened to them, remember that it doesn’t matter what they’re wearing, or where they were. It’s the perpetrator that’s in the wrong.

OP: my strategy is to have a bell, make sure the people move out the way before I get near, and then ride really fast in the hope that anyone that tries to grab me will get more hurt than me.

honourablegeorge

stwhannah

So, at risk of thread derailment, if you ever find yourself in the position of the OP, even on occasion, spare a thought for all the women and girls who make these calculations on a daily basis

Read a story/thread a while back about a guy whose wife would always leave the car empty or near empty of fuel. Would drive him nuts that she never filled it, they had massive rows about it. But the root of it was her not feeling safe going to petrol stations, worrying about being harassed or attacked and avoiding it – something that would never occur to me, or to most men. There’s a whole different world in someone else’s shoes.

fossy

I commute on the Peak Forest and Ashton Canal twice a week. You occasionally come across groups smoking weed under bridges, but I’ve never had any issues so far. You do worry as you are the ‘only one’ about, but so far so good. I do have a can of anti-attack spray in my panniers – but I’d have to get it out – it’s permanent spray ink. got the stuff some years back after a youth and his mates tried to smack me as I rode past on the canal near home. Gave them a mouthful, and one of them charged at me. I decided to cycle off as there was a dad and daughter in sight, and I don’t think it would have gone down well if I launched said scrote into the water.

marcg868
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just me getting a bit of Anexity over nothing. Don’t seem to handle the winter months well due to quite severe sometimes Seasonal depression which Vitamin D does help.
    I’ve never encountered any trouble in the 3 years I’ve lived in Rishton, infact the crime rate is hardly anything.
    Perhaps I’m just having a soft moment.
    I’ve managed to suss a route that avoids any potential problem routes.
    Perhaps I’m being a bit precious because I’ve spent over £2400 on a mtb for the first time.

ahsat

OP sorry to hear you feel like this. Isn’t not fun. Unfortunately as Hannah highlighted this is kind of typically heighten awareness that comes with being a lone woman, as standard. I ride the Leeds – Liverpool canal to work at least once a week (west of Leeds into Leeds). I tend to ride in the mornings as there are less drunk/drugged up people than the afternoon (I tend to get the train home). I’m not afraid to swing off the canal if needed, or change my pattern – for example someone expects you to continue to ride at a certain pace, so speeding up or slowing down can throw people off. I will let people pass me in some cases, as better to see people ahead of you then behind of you. And if required, as Hannah said, pedal like hell.

But overall being out on your bike is often better than not.

dyna-ti

It’s a bike tool.

fossy

Don’t let it get you. I’m using some right dodgy bits of canal networks going into Manchester, and it’s been fine so far at work times. I’m motoring (i.e. not slow), and all that’s happened is some weed smokers jumping out their skin as I come round the corner and smash it up a steep cobbled climb, and the noise of rattly panniers…

I do leave the lights on high if there are any groups, just destroys their vision.

fossy

PS Canals are great – I use them to get out to Hayfield/Marple etc, and even more so with lockdown.

andrewh
    Free Member

Chances of anything actually happening are probably very slim (he says, not knowing the area) Get the bike insured for peace of mind (there was a thread on here a while where it did actually happen to someone, avoid his insurance co) Maybe a tracker down the seatube? If the worst does ever happen you then have the option of just handing it over if outnumbered/threatened with a weapon

bikesandboots

If it’s of any help, that feeling after spending “more than X” on a bike for the first time does fade away after a few months.

Of the types of locations you describe, the canal (or any similar enclosed track) for me would be the biggest concern. I’m not familiar with attack methods, but for a pedestrian-based threat, if you can spot a it and turn off/around quickly then I’d feel a lot safer.

Some riding buddies and at least 5000 lumens available on tap might help too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

It’s a bike tool.

“What this? It’s just a spare chain for my bike…”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bit nervous’ is closed to new replies.