Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Bit miffed with Merlin cycles.
  • renton
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I was asking on here about 2 x 10 setups and on the basis of the the thread I ordered a SLX double chainset with 26/38 chainrings.

Now I know I should of checked it prior to fitting and I will hold my hands up that I didn’t but it was only when I used the box it came in to post my old chainset off I noticed that they had sent a 24/38 instead.

I have only done 25 miles on the new one before noticing and then contacted Merlin.

Merlin have basically said that the 26/38 wasn’t in stock at the time I ordered (even though it let me order one and didn’t say anything about being out of stock) so they were sending out 24/38 instead and as I’ve used this one there isn’t anything they can do apart from a deal on some more cranks which is no use to me

Im not after a new chainset as I agree with them that I have used them but I thought they would of admitted they were wrong and sent me out a 26t ring after all that is what I ordered!!!

Bit miffed really as Ive spent quite a lot with them over the years !

mashiehood
    Free Member

ideally, they should have written to you saying what you ordered was out of stock. They really should not have sent you an alternative.

To be honest, I stopped using Merlin after I ordered a set of wheels a few years ago. They built the wheels, ready for dispatch and then called me to say the price had gone up by £40 because they made an error. I refused to pay the additional amount and went elsewhere.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they should have contacted you for sure to see what you wanted to do as it would have cost you money to send them back

Little can be done once you have used them but i agree their practice needs improvement

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would hope they would send out a 26t ring or do a really good deal on it.

Houns

Same here but i’m happy with the smaller size

fasthaggis

Im not after a new chainset as I agree with them that I have used them but I thought they would of admitted they were wrong and could send me out a 26t ring ,with a price that reflected their error,after all that is what I ordered!!!

Why don’t you eMail them a nice letter telling them that,see how it goes?

renton
    Free Member

Im finding that Im spinning out far too much with the 24t and spend more time in the large ring with the chain at a funny angle which surely is promoting premature drivetrain wear.

renton
    Free Member

Fasthaggis I have (twice) and they have failed to reply.

fasthaggis

Oh,that’s a bit rubbish!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Even if they agreed to sort you out with a discount on your next purchase, when that times comes they won’t honour it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

won’t cause any more chain wear than running a single ring in 1×10 setup

renton
    Free Member

Chainline is different on a double compared to a triple running a single ring is it not?

convert

I’ve had lots of easy, cheap deals with them over the years but the only query I’ve had to raise with them was stonewalled. I bought some Rotor cranks that came with a bottom bracket unique to the cranks – unpackaged so I’m assuming oem. What they didn’t say is the BB didn’t come with the unique fitting tool needed…which could only be obtained by buying another BB elsewhere as it not available as a separate item. They just said nothing they could but I was free to return it.

Merlin (online) are very good for a pile ’em high, sell ’em cheap merchant. But occasionally buying cheap comes with a price.

lowey

Ring them up. I had one issue recently with a wheel, and the way they dealt with it was outstanding. Dont wait for email’s, give them a call.

nealy
    Free Member

I think 24/38 (AM) makes more sense than 26/38 (AK) but it’s still not what you ordered.

Also it’s not just a case of getting a smaller granny ring as Shimano 2×10 chainrings are matched to each other so they both need to be AM or AK, see below

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M675-3397_v1_m56577569830801180.pdf

iainc

+1 for phoning them. I have found over the years that they aren’t great on email, but fine when you actually speak with them.

renton
    Free Member

Well fair play to them Ive had a reply saying that at the time I ordered there was no option on the website to chose what chainring options you wanted so everyone got sent a 24/38.

Houns … you said the same happened to you? can you confirm this or not as I sure I remember being able to chose.

They have also said they will send me a 26t ..”However we do have the 26t chain ring in stock for £8.50 and for the sake of an argument I can send you one for free if required.”

However Im not sure it will go straight on now according to nealy’s post.

gogg
    Free Member

That’s good, I was going to suggest that you make them aware of their obligations under Section 2, Regulation 19 of The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.

“(2) Subject to paragraphs (7) and (8), where the supplier is unable to perform the contract because the goods or services ordered are not available, within the period for performance referred to in paragraph (1) or such other period as the parties agree (“the period for performance”), he shall—

(a)inform the consumer; and

(b)reimburse any sum paid by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract to the person by whom it was made.”

The fact that they didn’t inform, but simply shipped an alternative product would be considered a serious breach by Trading Standards.

IANAL.

😉

renton
    Free Member

To be fair they have got me doubting myself now !!

Im pretty sure there was the option as I remember there was also the option of having 170mm arms too.!

unovolo
    Free Member

According to that tech doc the chain rings come under option B which states:-
    B.Parts are usable, but differ in materials,appearance,finish,size etc.

If there sending it for free there is no reason not to give it a go.

Northwind

FWIW Merlin have been really busy the last week or so, hard to reach. I just spoke to them this afternoon, had a wee problem very nicely fixed, so I’d suggest calling not emailing.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a problem of their making and their job to fix it but I wouldn’t claim that as legal expertise- just my sense of right and wrong.

BigJohn

If you’re spinning out on a 26 you’ll be in the smaller sprockets so the chainline on the big ring should be pretty well straight.

Congratulations, you’ll use both rings equally and your chain will last longer as it’s not being run at funny angles.

And you’ve saved weight.

A winner all round.

bigjim

renton
    Free Member

Big John I have a 24t ring not 26t.

Bigjim thats very helpful

edlong
    Free Member

I normally roll my eyes at threads like this when people unfurl their trusty parchments of Sales Of goods Act and Distance Selling Regs, but in this case, I think you’ve every right to be peeved, you bought something, they agreed to the sale, and sent you something different to what you ordered, and without telling you – that’s, as someone else said, the sort of behaviour that gets trading standards people jumping up and down. It’s pretty much “passing off” imo.

Sounds like you’ve had some sort of reasonable response now, but it’s put me off ordering from them, knowing that they might not actually send what I order if it’s not in, and if they’ve got something that looks similar enough in stock that they hope I won’t notice…

matther01
    Free Member

Renton – I have a 26t if you want it? Not a huge amount if miles on it and all for the price of postage…sorted!

Houns

I can’t remember if there was a choice of sizes (if there was then 24 wasn’t listed as I would have picked that!) it certainly did state 26 as I text Teetosugars when mine arrived to tell him to expect his (he ordered a day later than me) in a 24 too

fourbanger
    Free Member

What did the invoice say when you received it?

bigjim

Bigjim thats very helpful

😀

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I had some tyres that went a bit weird, so emailed them with photos of tyres, replied to want them back. Sent them back and the whole process of issue to new ones arriving in replacement was 4 days. I even forgot about the £4 postage , thinking how much I would have had to of spent somewhere else to buy the same goods. Lets hope my new mtb shoes arrive from them in the morning. Ordered Sat night, confirmation and tracking number email at 9:05 this morning.

renton
    Free Member

Fourbanger…. The invoice just says slx double chainset.

singletracksurfer

Merlin sent me the wrong part, long story but it cost me a few £ to sort it and merlin weren’t very helpful (or bothered) by their mistake. Won’t be rushing to use them again.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Bit miffed with Merlin cycles.’ is closed to new replies.