Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Bit dry, innit?
  • hatter

Drier than Ben Shapiro’s missus down here in Herts.

Grass is almost all browned but the larger vegetation seems to be holding up O.K so far

Give it 4 months and we’ll all be grumbling about the mud and slop so enjoy it while we can.

Time to fire up the BBQ (edit: The Weber, not a disposable fire hazard jobbie)

alpin
    Free Member

@neilnevill

North West Chelmsford… Around Broomfield, I think.

matt_outandabout

Spanish or Scottish hills?

anagallis_arvensis

IMG20220813172635

Rode through this two years ago and the water was level with my top tube!

Klunk
    Free Member

the forecast for rain here is being rolled back to light showers 70% tuesday (with thunder) and 40% wednesday (and only for a short time)

stumpyjon

Surprised how low the river Ribble was today given we’re not in drought up here in the lush North West. Talking to my brother in law today about the drought orders, it’s not a response to the current dry period, more a result of 2 years of below average rainfall. Also gives other options over winter which will be needed to refill the system in time for 2023.

myti
    Free Member

We had a grassland fire in the meadow at the end of our road yesterday. Luckily put out very quickly before it spread into the sheep field and nearby flats. Bit close to home!

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like a biblical thunderstorm rocking through Cornwall and Devon at the moment!

alpin
    Free Member

I wonder whether it’ll make it across the country to East Anglia…. It looked like it might rain a few times last week, but petered out before hitting the coast.

Looking out the train window, there are some ominous looking clouds around Paris.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We had a grassland fire in the meadow at the end of our road yesterday. Luckily put out very quickly before it spread into the sheep field and nearby flats. Bit close to home!

We’ve had 2 in the last week or so within “worrying” distance. One was grass the other I think (based on the field, I’ve not walked over to see) should have been crops.

molgrips
    Free Member

the forecast for rain here is being rolled back to light showers

It might not be a ‘roll back’ as such. They forecast showers crossing the country and if the model decides you aren’t getting hit then you won’t get the rain thingy in the forecast. But whilst we can very accurately predict there will be showers or thunderstorms, we cannot predict if a small storm will hit your actual town. So don’t lose hope just yet. Our forecast has gone from storms to drizzle, but the map still shows lots of intense downpours across southern Britain tomorrow.

It rained most of the morning off and on here in Cardiff but the water has only penetrated about 2cm into the soil in our borders.

VanHalen

the problem with heavy rain now is that, as all teh ground is rock hard, lots will just runoff the surface. so flooding may be an issue.

good for business though (drainage engineer)

CountZero

Despite the forecast, no appreciable rain here in north Wiltshire that I’ve seen. ☹️

scud
    Free Member

I can’t actually remember when we last had rain in North Norfolk, trails and bridleways are so just dust and sand, did forecast rain today, but that been moved to tomorrow night, we desperately need it, been a lot of harvest related fires. Friends shed went up taking fence and scorching back of house they think from greenhouse glass leant against shed.

On the plus side, the North Sea has never been warmer…

tartanscarf

Peeing it down here in Glencoe, same as yesterday. So, not dry at all (and hasn’t really been this summer).

CountZero

Today, on the other hand, there was a torrential downpour in Westbury, and in Chippenham, judging by how wet it was when I got home.

frankconway

Been raining steadily in Newark since late afternoon with some occasional heavy outbursts.
    Good news is it keeps the chavs indoors – concerns about shrinking when they get wet or skin not being waterproof or something..
    Now know that a connector in my guttering has failed; ho hum, that will wait.

MoreCashThanDash

Half an inch in the rain gauge by last night, here near Derby, and more steady rain overnight.

No doubt the weeds will be the first things in the fadden to bounce back

Klunk
    Free Member

We were looking at 3-4 hours of rain this afternoon (from this mornings forecast) but it seems to have evaporated 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve had quite a bit in Cardiff. Some heavy, but plenty of steady light rain. Everything’s looking quite hydrated now.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.