Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Birzman Tubeless inflator recall…any others with this design?
  • martinhutch

https://cyclingindustry.news/birzman-recalls-tubeless-inflators-pump-up-bm12-and-bm20/#:~:text=Birzman%20has%20circulated%20a%20safety,line’s%20BM17%20and%20BM20%20products.

Slightly raising my eyebrows at the idea of a 220psi tank involving bonded plastic components. Had always assumed the plastic just hid the ends of a fully metal tank.

Mine (Giant control tank) looks similar, so do many others, no idea if the same principles are involved.

What do engineering folk think about it?

Also, ‘disassemble’ seems to be a fairly conservative description of the process. 🙂

luv2ride
    Free Member

Not great as I’ve only got one of these recently 😕 was pleased with how well it worked too after sending back a faulty Beto version.

belugabob
    Free Member

“Inflators – disassemble!”

Not good, but at least they spotted the issue (hope nobody was hurt, during the “spotting”) and have issued a recall

scotroutes

I have one of the Lifeline inflators. Given the weight, I’d be surprised if there’s a metal tank hidden inside.

andybrad

ive got the giant one.

worrying.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’d like to see their design file to show how they’ve meet the pressure equipment directive for sound engineering practice for this design.

DezB
    Free Member

I haven’t got one, but the Beto one looks similar

scotroutes

I must retract my previous statement. The Lifeline one has a metal case. I don’t intend taking it apart to see how it’s all sealed/put together though!

luv2ride
    Free Member

So l’ve now received the product recall re: my Birzman inflator. Bought from CRC so email came from them. Free return offered as “item faulty” but they’re only offering a refund in gift vouchers… Shouldn’t they refund the cash? They don’t have a suitable alternative that I can see, not for the price paid anyway.

martinhutch

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/customer-service/returning-an-item#:~:text=We%20make%20it%20simple%20for,to%20the%20original%20payment%20method.

Where will my refund be paid to?
    Your refund will be paid back to you via the original payment method you used to purchase the item. Please see different refund/payment methods below: 1. Credit/debit card – If you paid by credit or debit card, we’ll refund the same card originally used to place and pay for the order. 2. Paypal – we’ll process a refund to your PayPal account originally used to place and pay for the order. 3. Gift voucher – If you paid for using a gift voucher you will be given a gift voucher to the relevant value.

In this case, the item is clearly of unsatisfactory quality, there is no option to repair or replace like-for-like, so a refund seems to be the only option, and their own policy is clear as to how that should happen.

luv2ride
    Free Member

This is from the CRC email:
    “Your safety is our number one priority, so we ask that you immediately stop using the pump as, if the item fails, it could cause injury.

Please return the item using our free returns service, following the steps outlined here. Once we receive your item back at our warehouse, we will issue you with a refund in the form of gift vouchers”
    Looks like they’ve decided not to offer a full refund, which doesn’t seem right under the circumstances.

bikesandboots

Can confirm the Giant one is a full metal tank.

luv2ride
    Free Member

For anyone else with a Birzman inflator to return, Silverfish (uk distributor) just emailed to confirm the item can be returned for a full refund. Doesn’t seem to confirm whether or not this should be “cash” or vouchers, and CRC still haven’t replied to my query on this (earlier CRC email said they’d issue vouchers to the value of…”).

I’m thinking of an Airshot to replace the Birzman but CRC don’t sell them, so vouchers not useful to me.

spacey

I got the email from CRC to return it but their returns system won’t let me because they have a 12 month returns policy and I bought it 14 months ago. Obviously they’re not responding to my messages, classic eh! Anyone found a way around that?

spacey

I looked at the airshot ones, but I just picked up a fire extinguisher for £5 and I’m going ghetto. If I get the vouchers then there is always something I need from CRC.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Can confirm the Giant one is a full metal tank.

thanks, nice to know.

(it’s also crap – with all the tyre-inflating oomph of an elderly hamster)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Birzman Tubeless inflator recall…any others with this design?’ is closed to new replies.