Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Birmingham – hilly road routes anywhere?
  • nickdavies

Trying to up my climbing before heading to the alps this summer.
    Any suggestions of a nice loop taking in maybe 1000m of climbing in 50k? Could be barking up the wrong tree here but short of lapping the hills in Clent i’m struggling a bit to find something close enough to Brum for an evening ride.

Any suggestions?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Maybe post on the beacons road cycling clubs facebook page as i know they do a hilly session on a wednesday and they may suggest something ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/beaconrcc/

rose hill , past the lickeys is a good warm up 😯

Houns

Sheepwalks

rOcKeTdOg

Clent, and Malvern are probably the higheset, head out to clee hill too, but will be further than 50 from centre of Brum

alanl
    Free Member

Stourbridge and Dudley areas have some hills, though nothing resembling a graded climb.

lunge

I’ve done 2500 feet in 30 miles around Clent and Kinver without planning an overly hilly route so getting that to 3000 or 3500 feet shouldn’t be too hard. Sheepwalks Lane, Shutmill Lane and if you’re feeling particularly sadistic Waltonberg and Winwood Heath Road are all interesting climbs. You’ll not get anything overly long but there’s plenty there if you want it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive never rode sheepwalks lane so ill be planning a route over there in the next few weeks, looks interesting

lunge

I quite like Sheepwalks, it’s steep but not silly, Shutmill is another I enjoy, it’s just a nice climb. Winwood Heath however is a different matter altogether, horrible that is, I only go up there to test myself and hate it pretty much every time.

stuc
    Free Member

Arley footbridge up to button oak and then Bewdley to shatterford on the road that goes past Trimpley reservoir – that little loop itself could be done once you’ve done sheepwalks and will put you back over kinver way.

Otherwise just head to the back of Bewdley towards rock and take your pick from a choice of steep stuff such as winniats, horse hill, noahs ark etc

Haze

Lots of short sharp stuff but probably better to head over Shropshire way for something tastier. Granted might be pushed for time to drive over for an evening ride.

Castle Hill is my new favourite…

guystabler
    Free Member

Lickey Hills and Clent give you a good amount of climbing.

rOcKeTdOg

Not for long though, have to do a few repeats

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Birmingham – hilly road routes anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.