Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Birds keep flying into my window
  • giantalkali
    Free Member

It’s like some sort of cut-price Hitchcockian nightmare round my parts.

It seems that just about every day a bird will come hammering into my front window. They seldom seem too injured as I don’t have a pile of festering carcasses in my flowerbed, though one was a goner not too long ago. It happened yesterday, definitely on Monday, and it just happened again, prompting this post,

It’s been going on all year, so it’s not just ‘Twatty Bird Season’, does this happen to you? What’s going down?

wwaswas

can they see right through the house to another window at the back?
    is there a lot of reflection if you look from the outside?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Stop cleaning your windows ..that might help 8)

PePPeR

My parents had the same problem, they stuck a sticky sticker of a hawk on the window, didn’t happen again..

Yak

Window stickers. Lots of them:

scotroutes

If light is falling the “wrong ” way on your window then it can look like sky. The birds fly into your window thinking they can get through to the other side.

Lots of bus shelters up here have stick on raptor shapes that prevent this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, the little Goldfinches in my Garden suffer the same “bounce” effect when ejecting from the feeders I have.
    Sorry poor little things, they’re so sweet.
    Over the last 4mths or so, that I know of, there have been 5 Goldies that suddenly find a pain of glass in their escape route. I put this down to the birds having two brood sets and its the young that haven’t quite gotten to grips with established routes of passage.. for its them that I invariably find sparko on the patio.. they do recover however so they’re not at max flight speed, more take off speed so the bounce is effective at stopping progress but not breaking their skulls or necks…

I have a few “bounce” marks on the window so I know they’ve been at it again over the last couple of weeks, no little upside down fellas so i know they’ve recovered and gone home to sleep it off.

giantalkali
    Free Member

They can indeed see right through the house, so maybe that’s it. I hardly ever see it happen, usually it’s a thud and I see a shadow flit across the wall.

wwaswas

Pook

I like that cat’s fancy dress wings ^^^

Markie
    Free Member

This was a problem for us, but I then bought a couple packs of ultraviolet warning stickers (actually held on just with static) for our windows. This was a few years ago and we’ve been good since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Window-Alert-Medley-Decal-5-Pack/dp/B0096UUSPC/

http://windowalert.com/

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We used to get birds trying to fly through our porch which has windows at either end – a venetian blind (on one window) left down but with slats opened has stopped them.

slowoldman

We’ve had a robin pecking away at the window for days. Must have a brain the size of a sparrow.

funkmasterp

My friends father bought a new car, I can’t recall what it was other than it was very expensive and had an almost speckled paint finish. It was hilarious watching him freak out when crows and jackdaws began attacking the car. The paint, reflecting light at certain times of the day, just made the birds attack it.

giantalkali
    Free Member

just needs a couple of bin shaped dents, he’ll be less precious about it then…

slowoldman

I know just the place for him to visit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Birds keep flying into my window’ is closed to new replies.