Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Bird Zero TR – worth the £££
  • joebristol

If that’s the only problem then I’d play with bars and stem. A lot of the newer bikes have actually got quite low bars as things go longer and lower / slacker.

My first change would be a handlebar with more rise – yours is almost flat by the sound of it. It’s quite cheap to try something with more rise and that may solve the problem.

With width you’ve got a decent width bar – I’m on a 760 but previously had a 780. I find it easier through trees than the 780 but for some reason it’s not quite as comfy for me. I think it’s got less Sweep than my last bar and think that could be the difference.

You could try one of these for more height whilst also on a budget – also gets you a bit more width:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBEGLS/el-guapo-saloon-riser-handlebar

Note the 35mm bar clamp size is £13 but if you’ve got 31.8 it’s £29.99 which isn’t quite so cheap.

Edit – for £13 I’ve decided to buy one and see if it’s more comfy with the wider bar and more Sweep!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m just finding I am putting to much pressure on my wrists and the front end is quite low. It has 750mm bars (5mm rise) with a 70mm stem.

Do not buy a new hardtail because of this! If your stem is already at the top of the steerer (max spacers underneath) then buy some high rise bars (~40mm). Try a shorter stem too, that tends to go better with taller bars.

DO NOT BUY ANOTHER BIKE (yet)!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just a noob question – but is it ok to run stems without any spacers above the stem?

AlexSimon

jayx2a – Member

Just a noob question – but is it ok to run stems without any spacers above the stem? Yes, absolutely.

joebristol

Fine to run stems with or without spacers above or below. The main thing is that when your stem is on you have a little bit of the inside of the stem without the steerer tube in it for the top cap to sit flush in.

Personally my bike came with spacers above and below the stem but I felt the front end was a little low for my liking (I like it higher as easier to hoist the front wheel up and over stuff) so all th spacers are now below my stem.

tomaso
    Free Member

Whyte 905 has a similar spec and is discounted at Winstanleys and other shops to £1350

joebristol

I think the point here trough is trust the problem isn’t that you don’t like full suspension but that you aren’t happy with the bike as the front feels too low. Swapping to a hardtail definitely isn’t the obvious answer to me without having played with some different rose handlebars / stems – or if you have spacers above the stem, moving them under the stem.

Where are you in the uk?

matteggleton
    Free Member

You already have one of the best trail bikes for that segment and budget you can buy, I would definitely tweak what you have with bars and stem before binning it in favour of a hardtail. Save your hard earned cash.

joebristol

And FS is always better than HT

chestrockwell

My p7 has a similar geometry to the Crush and has surprised me how capable it is for xc and longer rides. Does everything well and much better than my old 100mm travel xc hardtail.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero TR – worth the £££’ is closed to new replies.