Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bird Zero TR sizing
  • iainc

Likely purchasing either one on these, or the new Soul when it comes out. Having compared the measurements to my current 2 MTBs, a medium Soul 26er and a 2017 medium Anthem 27.5, the Medium Bird is a tad longer in reach than both. My Anthem fits perfectly, my old Soul also fits well but started to feel a bit steep and short when I got the Anthem.

At 5ft 10and a wee bit, with short legs (IL 31 inch), the Bird info would put me closer to a large than a medium, with the standard 50mm stem.

Wondering how owners find them, fit wise, for their own height/shape ?

I will phone Bird before ordering but keen to hear experiences here.

mjsmke

I’m 5ft5 and went with a small. Perfect fit. Slightly longer than my small whyte t130.

chiefgrooveguru

The medium Zero AM is way longer in reach than a Soul 26. The medium TR is longer still:

All mediums:
    Soul 26 (120mm fork at sag): 419mm
    Zero AM (150mm fork at sag): 451mm
    Zero TR (130mm fork at sag): 461mm
    Anthem 2017 (equal sag f/r): 435mm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

That’s really useful to compare, many thanks.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Im 5 11 and ride a medium TR. Where are you located? Can you pop to HQ to sit on one?

iainc

Good to know, thanks. Based in Glasgow so hard to get a shot on one. Am aware they are very long bikes so thinking a medium will be fine and a large waay too long

dallas95
    Free Member

I ride a medium zero am having come from a medium anthem 27.5. The medium bird frame is perfect sizing for me at 5’9″. I use a shorter stem (50mm) on the bird compared to 70mm stem on the anthem. The slacker geometry is the main difference I noticed switching between the two bikes not the reach measurement.

iainc

Dallas, is your Anthem the current model or the previous one, which was a bit steeper ?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Great bikes and even better service.

chiefgrooveguru

FWIW I’m 5’10.5″ on a medium Zero AM. Had a medium Soul 26 before and also have a medium Spitfire.

Currently have a 35mm stem on there but think I might swap the 50mm back on to see if that helps pin the front in now it’s slippery.

iainc

Chief, that’s useful as similar size to me and same Soul. As you say, the TR is a little longer, so I guess I’d order a pretty short stem. How does it compare to the Soul in real use ? Reviews suggest it’s more fun going down and less fun on the ups and for long xc rides ?

muttley109
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″/5’10” and have a medium TR with a 35mm stem. I did have a 50mm stem but feel more comfortable with the shorter one.

sirromj

5’9″ with medium TR 40m stem 780 bars. Was concerned by frame length while building it up but as soon as I got on it it felt g perfect. Might have to reduce bar width however.

iainc

Great, sounds like a medium with a 35 or 40mm stem might be bang on. How do folk find them for all day xc riding ?

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m 5’ 10” and run a medium with a 50mm stem but 30mm risers as I have damaged shoulders. I find it perfect and adjust front end bite by running a Shorty if it’s super muddy and DHF the rest of the time

rickon
    Free Member

5’11 on a medium TR too.

Spoke to the guys at Bird, and they said medium.

iainc

Excellent, looks like im a medium then !

So, how is it as an all day xc mile muncher ? My Soul, which it would replace, does winter and manky local xc forest stuff, some bigger away days, some bike packing. Trail centre days are more often on my full suss…

sirromj

Don’t know about all day XC, longest ride has only been 23 miles on it so far.

lardman
    Free Member

Just to confuse matters, I’m 5.10 and ride a large Zero AM.
    It comes up the same size as my large Stumpjumper.

I’m running a 35mm stem however. I’m a knuckle dragger, but would def be too cramped on a medium.

iainc

🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Looking at all these answers it must depend who you speak to at Bird, I’m 5’11” and rode a large TR, perfect for me with a 40mm stem.

iainc

yep, mailed Bird yesterday with all the measurements for my current bikes, so will see what they say….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get the longer one Iain, it’ll be harder to go OTB, and also harder to manual….. :mrgreen:

iainc

Genuinely made me 😀 there nobeer !

I do suspect however that a new geo Soul via Dave and the guys might win the toss…

hainman
    Free Member

Bird are doing a demo day at the Falkirk endure end of the month,
    might head along was i fancy trying the 145 to see how different it is to my 140

iainc

Good to know about Falkirk, will enquire when they reply to my email, ta.

iainc

very useful chat with Ben from Bird earlier. Suggestion is a Medium, with a 40mm stem. Will have a think about this, or a new geo Soul …. The Bird is a chunk less cash I expect for same level of kit..

iainc

Medium one ordered, went for mix of SLX (brakes and crankset) and XT (drivetrain),with Yari and Reverb (1x), Hope headset, DT Swiss wheels, minion front/ardent rear, Candy Blue 🙂 Anyone wanna buy a Soul ? 😀

jaylittle
    Free Member

Sounds like a good spec. I’m sure you’ll love it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero TR sizing’ is closed to new replies.