Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bird Zero 29 or …?
  • dove1

I fancy giving wagon wheels a try and am looking at what 29er hard tail to get.
    I currently have a Bird Zero Mk1 that I love so I am inclined to go for a Zero 29.
    Also in the mix is the Whyte 905, Genesis Tarn 20 and Orbea Laufey H-LTD but what other options should I consider?

Requirements are for a bike that will handle trails well, but nothing too rowdy as I’m getting old and scared, is comfortable for all-day XC riding and good for bikepacking.
    Nothing too long, too low or too slack.

Preference is for Shimano group set and 120mm to 140mm travel forks. Budget £2k – £2.5k.

Or should I give my Zero an overhaul – new forks, wheels and drive chain and save a grand?

Over to you…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The Bird Zero 29 is about as progressive as it comes for an aluminium hardtail right now.

If your content with that kind of geometry consider the pole taival or a Marino hand built for cheaper. Both steel.

joebristol

The Bird Zero29 is all of the things you say you don’t want pretty much:

64 degree headangle (unsagged)

80mm bb drop

76 degree seat angle (sagged)

Relatively long reach – although not absolutely crazy

I’d say go and get a test ride on one and see how it feels. Going up a wheelsize and more LLS than what you have may work great for you or it maybe too much.

I’ve done the extreme geo bit as far as I’m concerned and now dialled that’s back a bit as I know what I like.

Bird Aether 7 is now my fs bike and is near perfect for me (the bike being a bit lighter wouldn’t go amiss – although it has got robust build kit).

Hardtail I wouldn’t want those above angles / measurements personally. I know I have fun on something a little shorter / less slack / less bb drop etc.

* Marino hand built option above isn’t necessarily cheaper tbh – if you go with the cheaper 4130 and avoid all the options it still won’t be far off the cost of the Bird frame by the time you’ve paid to air freight it to the U.K. and paid whatever duty you get hit with it on (I’m ordering one on the basis I assume I’ll get hit for 20% vat but we’ll see).

dove1

@joebristol – I know what you’re saying and that is what is holding me back. The Zero Mk1 has a 67 degree head angle (unsagged) and a 74 degree seat tube angle (sagged) so it would be quite a change going to the 29er.
    It’s a lot of money to spend on something I may not be happy with.

Argh! What to do?

joebristol

Test ride a Zero29? Bird are doing test rides I think at the moment in a distanced way…

Or test ride an Aether 7…..most of your existing kit would transfer straight over I’d imagine

Yetiman
    Free Member

What size frame? Northwind is selling a medium (18″) last gen Ragley Bigwig with Pikes which I think would be a good option. I also have one and I like it because the geo isn’t too LLS so it feels different to my AM9. I’ve tried the latest Bigwig and I found it to be just a bit too close in feel to the AM9 which is not what I want from a second bike hardtail.

twojumpers

I’ve just got a Zero 29 and even though the geometry is pushing boundaries it climbs really well, is comfortable on an all day ride and encourages fast riding on the downs. I can’t speak for your other options but you won’t be disappointed with the Bird.

johnw1984
    Free Member

What sort of size are you looking at? I’ve got an XL Ibis DV9 that I’m selling within your budget (going down to one bike).

Cracking trail bike that can be built light or burly, but I picked full sus when I decided to keep one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris might cover all the angle quite well, especially the bike packing bit.

Clink

SC Chameleon? Not LLS, alu frame is not stiff, probably better for long xc and bike packing?

dove1

Thanks, all.
    A few things to think about.

@Yetiman
    and @johnw1984 – According to most manufacturers’ charts I should be on a Large. My Zero is a L and a perfect fit.

johnw1984
    Free Member

To be honest, with the DV9 I’d say it’s more about your inseam that would make the big difference.

I’m 6’2″ but only have a measly 33″ inseam! This meant that on the DV9 I could only run a 125mm dropper.

I’ve had that many bikes though, i pretty much ignore manufacturers sizing charts and just compare the geo to my favourite fitting bikes through the geometry geeks website https://geometrygeeks.bike/ (really useful if you haven’t used it before).

Comparing the DV9 to the mk1 zero, it’s actually slightly shorter reach, but a bit bigger everywhere else 🙂 Whatever you choose, have a go at comparing different sizes.

hardtailonly

What size frame? Northwind is selling a medium (18″) last gen Ragley Bigwig with Pikes which I think would be a good option. I also have one and I like it because the geo isn’t too LLS so it feels different to my AM9. I’ve tried the latest Bigwig and I found it to be just a bit too close in feel to the AM9 which is not what I want from a second bike hardtail.

No he hasn’t. Cos I’ve bought it. And today it has arrived! 😁

warns74
    Free Member

Agree with everything twojumpers said. Brilliant all-rounder and incredibly capable.

dove1

Quick update – PS Cycles at Cwmcarn have a Zero 29 demo bike so I am going to hire it for half a day and see how it feels. That should scratch the itch and help me decide what to do.

joebristol

Good work – Cwmcarn is a good place to test too. I think there’s a short new blue to warm up on that looks very bermy, before going for the reds. Inalways think Cafell with the Pedalhounds dh bit off the top is quite a good all round test, followed by doing the Twrch after as it’s quite a different kind of trail.

Hoping to get to CC in a couple of weeks time for at least half a day as I’ve missed it big time during lockdown.

dove1

Arse!
    Went up to Cwmcarn today and PS Cycles no longer have the Zero demo bike. It was sold 2 weeks ago.

I think I am just going to do the refresh on my current Zero and love it a while longer.

batman11
    Free Member

If alloy then look at the orange crush 29er looks good or my be the airdrop bitmap  and when back available nukeproof scout

steel then production proved Shan gt Or pace RC 529

personally the crush would get my vote Or the scout.
    good hunting.

zerocool

I’ve just bought a Calibre Line 29 and I’m really impressed with it so far. For the last 8 years I’ve been riding an Orange Alpine 160 with slackened HA and offset shock bushes 64* HA) so pretty slack and fast.

If you’re not too snobbish about brands then it could be worth a look.

Tom kp

sync
    Free Member

Selected whyte dealers are getting 905 v3s at the mo.

Having spent some time riding the various v2 90Xs this season, the 650b+ 2.8 maxxis tyres and geometry on these result in that rare perfect sublime bike. Climbs like an ibex too despite weight penalties. Smooths out the trail at @20-25psi.

Riding co..’s have the 650/29 zeros with xtr/xx1 + a raft of other specced out trail HTs and we each have our preferences. Nothing duff really from the quality & boutique brands but all different enough to need demos before committing.

akira

Very happy with my scandal, built up with some new bits and some shed bits. 130mm Rebas and an all round build so seems to shift on the flat and hills but have enough heft for downhills.

orena45

The Laufey is a damn good hardtail and seems to flying under the radar since the new one came out at the end of last year. I’ve got the base spec one which I bought last October as a winter hack to give my Rallon a rest, and I’ve pretty much ridden it exclusively since. Love it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3g_kDYHGAL/?igshid=ytssgp8kj8q2

bikesandboots

Went up to Cwmcarn today and PS Cycles no longer have the Zero demo bike. It was sold 2 weeks ago.

I don’t really understand bike shops etc. selling absolutely all their bikes so there’s nothing left for potential customers who might place orders (if they’re even taking them) to view and sit on.

The Laufey is a damn good hardtail

Watched one review (Hardtail Party on YouTube) which said it was a pretty stiff frame, not as stiff as the Commencal Meta though. Specialized Fuse 29 much more forgiving apparently, spec is very mediocre on those though. How are you finding it for comfort?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero 29 or …?’ is closed to new replies.