Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • 'Bird'. Offensive and derogatory… or not?
  • cheekysprocket

Mrs CS is brainstorming a name for her fledgling handy(not)man business. We keep coming back to ‘That Handy Bird’, on account of it being memorable and lighthearted. Anything but dappy, her concern is that most women consider ‘bird’ to be offensive and would likely be put off by such a company name. My feeling is that any offensivelness disappears once the object of said name takes ownership of it, and uses it as they see fit.

Opinions?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it’s only older customers who will remember the term. Maybe regionally its still used, not really so down south. The Liver Birds where cool.

piemonster

PC is out these days so you should be fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sweepy
    Free Member

I think you are right- you can call yourself whatever you want

bearnecessities

Handyjob Bird?

km79
    Free Member

Name doesn’t give off a professional vibe. I can also see risk of leariness from people of a certain nature who’s property she could be in. That could get awkward.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I think if you call yourself then its fine. If you call someone else then its a bit derogatory.

DezB
    Free Member

PC is out these days

Have you been on STW lately?!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I deal with someone called The Lady Gardener.

We laugh a lot.

convert

The Fix-her

trademark
    Free Member

Not offensive or derogatory imo, but I’m not too sure about it as a professional business name.
    Any alternatives in reserve?
    If she was a mechanic, how about The Socket Wench …

ctk
    Free Member

There’s a Bonnie Tiler round our way.

CountZero

Not offensive or derogatory imo, but I’m not too sure about it as a professional business name.

Well, it’s not like she’s offering her services as a corporate lawyer, or an accountant for blue-chip companies in the City, now, is she?

bearnecessities

The Fix-her

Ooh, that’s good.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Not offensive or derogatory… just doesn’t roll off the tongue. Or scan for that matter.

If it’s ‘offensive and derogatory’ you’re aiming for how about…

‘The Handy-Ho’

scaredypants

She’ll Screw 4U

bearnecessities

Princess Diy?

matt_outandabout

Handy if you’re in Corran.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Possibly doesn’t matter what she calls it, word will get round if she does a good job, is dependable, honest (timescales, turning up etc) and doesn’t juggle jobs. However, it’s probably a fine art, pricing yourself so that you have a good regular income, but not descending into juggling lots of jobs and pissing everyone off.
    In answer to your question tho, in some parts of the country it probably won’t raise an eyebrow, in others it might. However IMO go with something more bland that doesn’t have any potential to turn people off. If she wants more quality higher paying jobs, it might well be a barrier, ie she might devalue herself workwise in some quarters with outdated ‘bird’ stuff. Shirley if she just uses her name in the business title everyone will know she’s a bird (and it won’t potentially alienate any er…. PC sensitive customer).

RustySpanner

Good name.
    🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

I knew an Indian lad who had the slogan

You’ve tried the cowboys, now try the Indians.

For his handyman service

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Quick fit bird.

Cougar

It’s not offensive per sé, “Handy Bird” is just shit, I’d think you were Emu. “The Handywoman” (or Fix-her as suggested) are way better (though with the latter I might wonder who she is and why she needs fixing, perhaps lose the hyphen to be Fixher).

As much as I grump about words and context I don’t like the term “bird” generally, it smacks of a throwaway disrespectful comment. “She’s me bird,” like, “that’s me bag o’ chips.” We’re better than that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Strapping Lass in Overalls

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with Cougar really, just a bit of a lame name. There is a lot down here called “Hire a Hubby” aimed at women wanting a bloke to do stuff, just comes over as a bit wierd.

nach
    Free Member

Yes.

Steve77
    Free Member

It’s just a very meh name. Is there a big market that specifically wants a female handyman? If not why even mention it?

ski
    Free Member

Handy Chick

If your worried about offending the old?

ski
    Free Member

Handy Hoe?

Has a ring to it.

I’ll get my coat….

kayak23

Naff.
    Handy Mandy?. 😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yeah, I think plenty of women would be happier having a random woman in the house instead of a random man. Market is there. Name should reflect this. Not sure how yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Market is there. Name should reflect this. Not sure how yet.

Start business, get customers, establish then see if you need a name to attract more. Probably more important for expansion/franchise that solo work.

CheesybeanZ

A friend calls her gardening business Girl Friday .

joshvegas
    Free Member

Does she fix fridges?

Its a shame adjustablewench is taken.

rone

I would turn it into a positive like “the feminine touch” or something. Sounds a bit low rent would be my issue.

You may get people mess around for the joke, if it’s too silly.

The Alan Partridge in me would suggest “Lady Parts”, “Hand jobs” or “Tooled-up Chicks”. 😉

kilo

I use a handyman service occasionally for our rental I’ve no idea what his company is called I just know him as Russell the handyman, as mentioned above once she gets a good rep the company name will mean less so why not just call herself: her name- handyman services. People will know what they are getting, unless her first name is Dave or something androgynous 😉

tjagain

I don’t like the name. I can see the attraction but I would prefer simply her name and a short description of what she does. “Janes repair and maintenance services”

joshvegas
    Free Member

“Name” Handy services.
    Blowjob to small.

birdage

My name’s Bird and yes most women find me offensive. Probably best to change it…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why not just Handygirl or Handywoman? We’re used to Wonder Woman and after all I wouldn’t want a handybloke or handydude coming round to my house. Handychick has that same level of casualness.
    Build up the business and see what the customers call her, then choose the best one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘'Bird'. Offensive and derogatory… or not?’ is closed to new replies.