Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bird am9 owners
  • Lummox

in the continuing saga of looking for a new frame my attention is now looking at the bird am9.

on paper and by review it seems excellent, just looking for some longer term owner feedback.

anything annoying/ irritating?

Going to head up for a demo ASAP, and the bird guys have been excellent at answering questions but looking now for the owners opinion after the honeymoon period.

Thanks in advance

AlexSimon

2 friends on them – both love them. They aren’t the lightest, but they look amazing in raw were exactly the geometry they were looking for.

scaredypants

It’s not that easy to fit a decent size bottle – but easier than many similar frames (at least it is with a shock that doesn’t have a pigyback; not sure about the “with” ones)

Otherwise, really like it

IANAProperrider

baboonz
    Free Member

Its a LLS bike with all its pros and cons, however it is livelier than the 27.5 version. I personally love it.

Lummox

This is all music to my ears.

joemmo
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the AM9 as I have the 120LT but there’s a mega Bird thread on PB that’s worth checking out.
    https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=203886&pagenum=62
    And the owners page on facebook is very active too.

Lummox

Awesome thanks Joe

fancypants
    Free Member

These seem to be the new Capra. Quite capable, not the lightest and you see one on every ride.

jambaron
    Free Member

I’ve always said I don’t trust reviews that are totally positive, with no negatives……. but I can’t think of anything negative to say about mine!

I struggle to bottom out the rear suspension, so it’s either pretty progressive or I’m a mincer. It’s improved my confidence on anything steep.

I’m glad I didn’t get the piggyback shock, I can fit a medium sized bottle with side entry cage no problem.

Mines over 12 months old with no problems with the frame at all.

convert

Would any of the owners of them consider them as their only bike as a capable trail bike rather than an enduro specific bike? And by trail I’m talking natural stuff with very occasional trips to trail centres mostly wheels on the ground with plenty of climbing (slowly).

Tempted by a Bird but convinced myself my next bike should be a 29er not 27.5 so options with them more limited.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’m probably still in the honeymoon period so take this with a pinch of salt.

I’m 6’ with 32 ish leg measurement and ummed and arred about size. Went with Bird recommendation of Large and very pleased with that. I’m thinking LLS is actually what mountain bikes should have been from day one. 500mm reach measurement feels spot on and the seatpost angle means it goes uphill at least as well as my Liteville. Having said that I think I may have been riding bikes a bit too small before, plus the Liteville is slacked to the max so probably compromises handling when climbing.

To answer your question as to whether an AM9 could be one’s only bike – it’s a bit heavy but apart from that yes I think so. Obviously a 150mm travel alloy 29er will not be the same as a carbon xc bike but I’d go with this as an only bike if I had to. I am in the fortunate position of also having a Giant XTC Advanced 29er currently run as 27.5+ but I haven’t touched that since getting the Bird.

jambaron
    Free Member

I have an AM9 as my only bike, I ride mostly trail centres but also some longer rides. I can climb things on the AM9 I couldn’t climb on the Giant Anthem 29er I had before. As hamishthecat said, the seat angle really helps for climbing. It’s heavier than the Anthem I had, but it climbs and descends better, it’s probably not as fun on the more tame trails though.

joebristol

I’ve not got an AM9 but have the Aeris 145lt – has it just over 2 years and it’s all still running perfectly.

Backup from Bird (either Ben or Dan) is superb and you can’t fault them at all.

As to your only bike the 145lt could be run as that and the AM9 is meant to roll a bit better so yes is the answer.

Just bear in mind it is long and slack so on flat twisty and ideally trails it will be harder work than something shorter travel / less long and slack.

I have a hardtail I use mostly for flat pedalling stuff and then the Aeris for everything else.

So uplift days / trail centres with decent rocky bits and have done a couple of circa 50km days and it’s taken it all in its stride.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Like JoeBristol I’ve got a 145LT

It’s my only bike and I use it mostly for TCs, a bit of ‘local stuff’ and uplift days etc.

But I’ve done a couple of 40k+ rides on it and I’ve commutes on it once or twice.

They’re great bikes, mine isn’t especially heavy and is ballpark with my mates Carbon Enduro type bikes, I wonder if going for a bike that’s LLS and tbh more LLS than most LLS stuff it would be a bit of a boat at low speeds, but it’s just not – took about half a ride to get used to it.

Support is amazing, join the FB group, kit only will you get advice from other owners but the people who actually make them.

Also, whilst they’re great VFM, they ain’t ‘cheap’ yeah it alu but it’s got some brilliant little touches and very UK centric, doesn’t mean they have a overly romantic idea of the past and think that Boris chap is lovely, but they’ve been designed to be used 12 months a year here and not California or BC in the Summer months.

convert

Thanks for the really constructive feedback. I guess the logical next step is to take one for a test ride but on a bimble orientated ride. More than confident that bike would outperform my going down so it’s the ability to me pleasant at other times that I want to find out.

Where I live we do a good line in very rooty climbs that have the ability to stall the unwary. The last time I borrowed a slack longer suspension bike and ride the same tracks I was amazed how easy it made the ups not in terms of raw speed but the ability to ride over stuff and not have to be so careful with the front end.

niksnr
    Free Member

AM9 owner here. Agree with all comments above about riding characteristics. It just works. From an aesthetics point of view, make sure you wrap frame early on as the paint chips really easy. My 2014 Banshee looks newer than my 1yr old AM9.

joebristol

Get the raw AM9 then no paint to chip (and it looks the best anyway)!

My 145 has some hips but often Whyte my fault where I lock it up with 2 other bikes with multiple chains. I should be more careful!

If you test ride at a trail centre you’ll probably buy one as it’ll be acceptable on there ups and awesome on the downs. If your only bike try and ride it on a natural look where you get a good mix of everything – fire road ups / long grinding ups / technical ups, then some decent downhills too.

I test rode at Swinley and actually loved it there despite the lack of decent hills and there being quite a bit of pedalling. Tyres make a huge difference too – I stuck a 2.4” dhr2 on the back for the winter and it really slowed the bike down on my local trails so I rode the hardtail a lot there. Swapped it out for a 2.3” aggressor and it feels so much more fun now.

CheesybeanZ

What weigh are they coming in at ?

benpinnick

Frame weight for an ML (no shock) is just over 3kg. The rest is down to the kit you spec. Mine with Lyriks and Super Deluxe is 31lbs/14kg.

CheesybeanZ

Thanks Ben , I was just after an idea of built weight .

colourofsound
    Free Member

Not sure how willing you’d be to wait as nothing as been announced or confirmed at all, but i’d bet heavily on a shorter travel version coming out. 150mm 29er is more bike than i’ll ever need so I’m waiting for Bird to drop something in the 130mm bracket.

I’m sure Ben will give you an idea of what they’re thinking when you demo an AM9.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bird am9 owners’ is closed to new replies.