Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bird Aether 9C noise on compression
  • Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve not had the chance to ride the bike in anger since built, but the few times I’ve had it out I have experienced an odd noise on full compression (not even full compression, happened today hopping off a kerb).

Sounds like something is coming into contact with the rear tyre. Chain doesn’t appear like it would bend enough (difficult to make them touch when I try to), thought it was heel rub but made sure I kept my feet in check so it’s not that.

I don’t think it’s frame or saddle, but will remove air from the shock and check. I believe it’s probably the rear mech or brake lines, but I’m not sure…. If it is one of these I have no idea how it would be resolved. Has anyone had a similar noise with this bike?

boobs
    Free Member

Have a look at the cable under the bottom bracket.

benos

Good call. It could be the brake or gear lines under the BB pulling tight or rubbing under compression.

I used a strip of inner tube and cable ties at each hole to keep a loop of line always exposed enough for full travel. Did the trick and stopped the rubbing.

Conan257
    Free Member

So the thought is my cables are too short?

I’ll certainly look into that, sounds like I could do some damage to something!

boobs
    Free Member

The cable, if it is too tight/short will cut a hole in the frame, as per yeti asr5’s did.

weeksy

So the thought is my cables are too short?

Depends…. if there’s LOTS of length at the stem end, then they’re only too short in the middle. Pull it through.

benos

Not too short. It’s just that they slide into the tubes when the suspension is not compressed then get pulled when it compresses again.

You shouldn’t need more length, just a fixed about of slack under the BB. That what I did by locking that loop in place with cable ties. I’ll try to upload a pic.

the00
    Free Member

It’s a crap design. Bird aren’t the only guilty ones.

benos

It’s not a good design, but to be fair it’s been trouble free since I did this bodge almost 3 years ago. The only thing I wish now is that it was external on the stays so it was less faff to check the bearings.

Here’s a pic from the side. The same cable tie trick is on the other end of the loops, behind the chainring, where the cables disappear into the down tube. Excuse the mud, but it can be a dirty business.

Cable1

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

This just enforces my hatred of under BB routing, I wouldn’t touch any frame that has it with a barge pole or any other stick with something smelly on the end.
    Why frame designers choose it is a total mystery when there’s a perfectly good alternative that Transition, Airdrop etc choose.

rootes1

yer my riding buddy as a 9C – same issue – need to bodge to stop the cables damaging the frame.

I see that Bird has revised the routing for their new Aeris AM so it goes over the BB.

Conan257
    Free Member

That’s a job I hope I don’t have to do again!
    Of note, the 2 lines in question easily moved in the frame so I’ve added ziptied innertube to each of them where they enter a frame part (6 locations in total). Fingers crossed!

bikesandboots

This just enforces my hatred of under BB routing, I wouldn’t touch any frame that has it with a barge pole

This has just gone onto my list of things I don’t want my next frame to have.

the00
    Free Member

I just gave up and zip tied the cables to the outside of the frame. Didn’t stop it making weird noises sometimes though

Conan257
    Free Member

I imagine other riders make weird noises when they see it too…

The size of the carbon “tubes” means it would look a bit unsightly!

benos

I’ve added ziptied innertube to each of them where they enter a frame part (6 locations in total). Fingers crossed!

I did 4 places – the 4 holes under the BB in the frame and stays. They move a bit if I push them through from the headtube but not otherwise. It’s been trouble free and silent since, so hopefully it will be for you too. I thought it would irritate me but I forgot about it almost immediately.

As already said, their new carbon frame has over BB routing, clamped ports, and is external on the stays. Definitely better. Then again, I’d take the 9C’s routing over Transition’s ‘loam cupboard’.

Conan257
    Free Member

I did the headtube end on the 2 lines in question as well, just so they have very little movement. It won’t bother me at all, especially compared to the noise it made… Minor illness at the moment better clear for testing it out on Saturday!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.