Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Bird Aether 9c anyone tried one?
  • mtb650

What am getting at is the limited forum views seem to think the 9c is quite good but is that because it’s cheap compared to others and you can speak to the owner of birds online.

Would it still be good if priced similar to a Santa Cruz for example.
    I’m not sure what advantage being able to speak to the company owner is if there is a problem, you just want to speak to someone who will sort it out.

I’m not tall so the Tallboy geo isn’t a problem, I like the simplicity of Oranges but not ridden a full sus, I’d be buying the Bird through a dealer rather than online myself so dealer network compared to Tranisiton not an issue, not sure why I’d want a nukeproof frame only ? However I can order a complete reactor factory build in my size.

Cheers

the00
    Free Member

Ok, cheers for the clarification.
    The Aether rides nice, and I’m more or less happy with it. I still have some issues which I am ironing out.

Yes, I can see where the extra cash goes on a SC. In comparison to a friend’s v1 Hightower LT CC, I can see the SC is just more nicely finished and more thoughtfully designed throughout. The cable routing is better. The suspension pivot and bearing setup is top notch, as opposed to merely adequate on the Bird. The paint finish on the SC is fantastic, and the rubber bumpers are better. It also has good warranty support from worldwide dealers. It’s hard for me to say if that is worth about £800 though.
    I don’t have the same up-close knowledge of Transition or Nukeproof. And the Orange is so different it makes comparison tricky.

In my experience Bird have been better at customer service than any bike shop, even when things haven’t gone right. I am fortunate to not need some of the additional support that a shop could offer, and actually prefer support not tied to a geographic location.

Both the Nukeproof Reactor and Transition Spur were in the running for me. It was the geometry of the Bird that initially caught my attention, but the price advantage and immediate availability made it possible for me to buy a new bike without too much hand-wringing.

the00
    Free Member

After the purchase of the shock I actually spent about £1000 less by buying the Bird frame only and not a SC.
    The Rector would have been £340 more expensive. And the Spur £800.

The full build specs and price are obviously different.

mtb650

Hi, thanks.

I’ve specced an XT / Pike ultimate 9C for approx £3.7k.

Locally I can get the last available SC Hightower C S for £5.4K or there is A Nukeproof Reactor Factory at £5.3k or swap over my hardtail parts onto an Orange Stage Evo frame for approx £2.3k

Nothing else left other than a couple of Trek Fuels

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I bought a frame only Aether 9C and built it up per my requirements.

I was fairly clear already as to what kind of bike I wanted, and test rode a friends Hightower CC and an Aether 9 almost back to back. I found their ride quality to be the same/so close it didn’t seem to matter. Bird’s geometry was a better fit for me and led to a more fun feeling bike.

It’s clear the Santa Cruz is finished to a higher standard. This is not to contrast the Bird as a poorly finished, but it is finished to a satisfactory standard, whilst the SC has gone above and beyond as you would expect for a premium end brand.

But, a frame and shock package from Bird is about 60% off the comparable cost.

Thats a big factor. Add in the fact that I liked how it rode better because of the geometry, and it was a done deal.

breninbeener

What shocks are people running?

Has anyone deviated from the Bird RS offerings?

If you are running one of the Bird RS shocks, does anyone have any observations of which is best vs the £200 price differential.

For reference my two FS bikes have CC DBIL with a climb switch. I like this shock.

Thanks

Ian

the00
    Free Member

Hi, thanks.

I’ve specced an XT / Pike ultimate 9C for approx £3.7k.

Locally I can get the last available SC Hightower C S for £5.4K or there is A Nukeproof Reactor Factory at £5.3k or swap over my hardtail parts onto an Orange Stage Evo frame for approx £2.3k

Exactly… quite a difference. I have no experience of the Nukeproof, and haven’t seen much feedback apart from normal review rubbish, but £1600 is a fair chunk.

the00
    Free Member

Has anyone deviated from the Bird RS offerings?

If you are running one of the Bird RS shocks, does anyone have any observations of which is best vs the £200 price differential.

I bought an RS Duluxe Select+ from Bird, and a Fox DPX2 performance elite from TF Tuned. I have only used the RS for a couple of rides, but it felt fine. For £160 it is worth it just as a spare, and you can upgrade after if you don’t like it. Having come from a hardtail my experience of full suspension is a little rusty, but both shocks have felt good. I was initially after a RS Super Deluxe, but TFT said the Fox would have better longevity, and was more serviceable and tunable. Ben at Bird reckons the RS needs servicing less frequently than the Fox.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was able to spend more here because of frame price and put a Float X2 in it.

I’d also received the same advice from TFtuned as the00.

nixie

I’m using a ccdb inline coil on my new aether 7. I had only bought it 50k before I decided to sell my rocket so sent it to TF to have the length changed (changed from 200×57 to 210×55 using an eyelet and travel spacer). So far it feels really good and I haven’t even played with the shock settings. I have not compared to an air shock though. Bird had no shock stock when I ordered as otherwise I’d have got the air as a backup and to try comparisons with.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The X2 is a really impressive shock.

I admit though, its substantially different in the way its adjustments work and are interrelated with each other to anything I’ve had before.

I’ve learned that my old-skool bounce it off a kerb and adjust approach is not up to the job.

I’m suffering tuning fatigue at the moment!

Mugboo

I bought an Aether 7 with the Deluxe Ultimate option and found it too harsh. A Megneg sorted that out. I’m 80kg riding weight.

I have bought a another Aether 7 frame for the wife but as there were no air shocks in stock, I’ve bought a CCDB coil like Nixie and the missus can have the Deluxe. The difference in weight is 264g if that matters to you. Part of the attraction for me was the ability to run a coil shock.

sharkattack

I like the Aether 7. It looks like a fun bike for razzing around doing jumps and skids. I’d like a Transition Scout for similar reasons but it’s literally double the price.

Does anyone send it on their 7?

breninbeener

Did you speak to Bird about using a coil? I must say i like the idea 😀

Mugboo

My 7 has replaced my Airdrop Edit. I bought the Aether in January for my 50th and have kept the Airdrop a while to see if I felt I needed it but I don’t.

I’ve done lots of jumps and local drops and steep lines and its really confidence inspiring. It’s not going to handle big chunk as well as a bike with more travel but its a bike for 95% of my riding.

Bird said that they designed the bike with an airshock in mind, but by that they meant its intention rather than suspension design. Its perfect for a coil if you are ok with adding some weight. My build was pretty decent so I’ve room to add a bit of weight.

It isn’t a SC but I’m not a SC kind a guy. It is well thought out, well put together and they are really good to deal with. The icing on the cake is choosing every part, admittedly not as easy at the moment.

nixie

I asked bird about a coil for the aether 7 and if it needed a progressive spring. Got this in reply;

“it is a nicely progressive linkage that works well with a standard coil – a progressive spring isn’t needed.”

sharkattack

The Airdrop is the other bike on my shortlist. The V4 looks mint. I’d probably run an air shock just out of personal preference. I miss having a shorter, lively bike that leaves the ground very easily.

I just can’t decide if I want a bikepark ripper for shorter action packed rides or something to make long rides in the Peak a bit more palatable. I’m not ready to buy a full on mincer-machine just yet.

I’m also tempted to finally try big wheels, which is why I’m here on the 9c thread. I’ve just never ridden a 29er that I actually like yet.

convert

I’ve ordered a pike ultimate fork and super deluxe ultimate rear for mine – hopefully arrive in July(ish).

I’m going to have to find some good setup vids or it’s wasted cash over the basic options – I’m not the best at setup as when it feels rubbish my default opinion is it’s rider error (it usually is when I’m the rider).

nixie

I wonder if you could use the cane creek app on a different brand shock. Iirc it gives adjustment suggestions based on what you’d like from the shock.

bikesandboots

I just can’t decide if I want a bikepark ripper for shorter action packed rides or something to make long rides in the Peak a bit more palatable.

I’m also tempted to finally try big wheels, which is why I’m here on the 9c thread. I’ve just never ridden a 29er that I actually like yet.

Depending which manufacturer you look at or reviewer you believe, the 29 inch wheels seem to be worth 10 or 20mm of travel.

I’ve ordered a pike ultimate fork and super deluxe ultimate rear for mine – hopefully arrive in July(ish).

I’m going to have to find some good setup vids or it’s wasted cash over the basic options – I’m not the best at setup as when it feels rubbish my default opinion is it’s rider error (it usually is when I’m the rider).

Getting the Pike Ultimate and Deluxe Ultimate for my alloy. I might do one of the Bird suspension tuning days if I’m not getting along with setup. I’d say both our combos give something over the Pike Select and Deluxe Select+ options though even if not dialed perfectly.

snotrag

This seems to be the home of Aether 9C discussion on STW…

Are there any owners of Med or M/L that live anywhere near Yorkshire-ish? That might be willing to let me have a sit on it, or maybe meet up and sit on at the car park on their weekend ride somewhere?

I’m quite interested in one, but Bird are not doing demos, their northern factory is shut for visitors, and I’m looking at making a big of a change in sizing from my current bike. Its too much to gamble based off looking at the numbers alone. I’ve only ever seen one in real life for about 30 seconds passing by!

benos

I think they’re still doing demos in Eversley on weekdays. It’s a long way for you, and it means taking a day off work, but maybe worth it given the cost of a new bike/frame.

I did that (only from Sussex, mind) to help me decide between M and ML. I took both sizes out for a day. It’s a great service from Bird.

FWIW I’m 172.5cm and chose M for being more chuckable/playful, a bit easier (for me – a bit novice) to keep the front weighted, and for the shorter seat tube. Had it since May and still reckon I chose right.

benos

Oh, I just saw that I’d already replied you on another thread a week or so ago 🙂

bikesandboots

I suggest getting in touch with them. I appreciate they’re probably busy building bikes, bikes are selling themselves (if they can get them/components), and there’s more people/money in the south, but the end of demos is a loss for the north.

Mugboo

Snotrag I will leave it up to you to compare the 7 and 9 geometry but I’m Yorkshire based with a medium 7 if that would help.

Drop me a message if I can help. Brighouse so just off the M62.

weeksy

I think they’re still doing demos in Eversley on weekdays. It’s a long way for you, and it means taking a day off work, but maybe worth it given the cost of a new bike/frame

I echo this.

convert

I can’t help sadly as too far away (hHighlands).:But I’d be getting in touch with them. Their customer service has been excellent.

I’m 179cm tall with long legs for my height and went ML. Expecting a very long feeling bike by reputation of the LLS malarkey it really isn’t in that size for me. Seated it’s positively short for me in that size with the steep seat angle. I hope long term I think I got it right.

One thing Bird need to sort out is their size advice online. The image on the Aether 9C page with the green bars shows my height almost in the middle on the ML. The size guide page says I’m on the cusp of it being too small and between ml and L. That’s a bit confusing.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m 181cm tall and pretty average proportions. Went for a a ML 9A after mulling over a L if it helps.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Here’s a question for someone.

How does the Aether 9a compare to the 9c? Bird have always excelled at keeping customers happy and when I bought my 9a frame I couldn’t stretch to the 9c at the time.

When I feel the need to change to something different, I would consider another Bird.

benos

@snotrag I just saw Ben Pinnick comment on the Bird FB group that Hamsterley demo should be starting again before long.

@johnw1984
    Not a lot of weight, since the 9 is light for Al and the 9c more average for carbon, but I’ve seen a couple of comments suggesting the 9c could be a mite stiffer. I’ve only ridden a 9c.

bikesandboots

I’ve seen a couple of comments suggesting the 9c could be a mite stiffer

Yes. Dan (the designer/engineer) told me it has the same kinematics but is stiffer. Whether average joe would feel the difference (as opposed to repeating what Dan told them), I don’t know.

I also noticed some parts of the geometry are a few mm different.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aether 9c anyone tried one?’ is closed to new replies.