Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bird Aether 7
  • st

Does anyone here have one yet and if so are they any good?

I’ve currently got a BTR Pinner and while it’s only 130mm travel it’s one of the most capable bikes I’ve ever ridden. It is overkill for my local trails (Cannock Chase) so I’m wondering about something subtler.

A Cotic Flare or Starling Swoop would fit the bill but I can’t stretch to their cost for a new frame and I’ve been looking at the Aether.

I’ve got coil converted Yaris and an Öhlins TTX coil shock that I can get shortened to suit a new frame.

I’m 6’1” and do like the current longer reach geometry but would be looking at a large Aether (my Pinner is XL and I have a Large Solaris Max).

Ta.

wardee
    Free Member

I’m sure there was another thread on this exact subject very recently, but strangely can’t see anything on the search.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    st

Ah yes, I remember that thread now!! Thanks.

Bit of a resurrection which is helpful too. Also good to see Ben’s reference to a 150 fork as that’s an option.

scruff
    Free Member

Large would fit me better, in black
    😉

st

Pink for you Al. It’d match your disposition.

joebristol

I’ve got one – 3 rides in. Love it so far.

I’ve moved down from a Bird Aeris 145LT with 170f/160r travel to this as I wanted a more all rounder. Running the same Lyriks spaced down to 140mm, Code R’s, GX 11 speed, DT Xm481/Pro4 wheels, Maxxis DHF 2.5wt / DHR2 2.3 and a 180mm dropper.

It climbs better in terms of almost no bob (haven’t bothered with the climb setting) and it really whips through corners, although it is a little more prone to lifting the front wheel on really steep climbs (I sized down from an ML to an M).

Downhill so far all good – I’m more confident in the front wheel grip and I got loads of pbs the second time at Cwmcarn – even down the Pedalhounds Dh ish track.

When I did a more mellow’lockdown’ local ride it felt ok there too. The Aeris would have made the local trails a bit more dumbed down.

It’s exactly what I was after on what I’ve ridden so far. A first uplift day will show where it maybe slower than the full enduro bike I had before. When lockdown eases (hopefully with some dry weather still before the winter) I’m getting a day off work to go to black mountain cycle centre on it…..

Edit – got the raw one –
    It’s the only choice surely? Just really want my black Lyriks to be red ones

st

Cheers Joe, sounds good and fits the bill from what I’ve read so far.

My Yaris are 150mm with a Smashpot coil which can be reduced to 140mm if necessary which keeps my options open.

joebristol

Last I heard Bird were going through testing to get the frame certified for 150mm forks. Dan thought the bike rides better with 140’s though.

I haven’t ridden it enough yet to find the limits vs the Aeris I had before with more travel front and rear. Pedalhounds at CC didn’t find it – I got pbs down parts of that when it was wet vs dry runs on the 145 a few years ago.

benpinnick

It passed the 150 testing no problems. So 150 away 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

@benpinnick is there anything different (other than the head angle) about the front end of the Zero AM vs the AM Boost? I’m not planning to increase the fork travel beyond 150 and obviously it would void the warranty as I presume you didn’t test it at 160mm but I’m curious!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got one – 3 rides in. Love it so far.

I’ve moved down from a Bird Aeris 145LT with 170f/160r travel to this as I wanted a more all rounder. Running the same Lyriks spaced down to 140mm, Code R’s, GX 11 speed, DT Xm481/Pro4 wheels, Maxxis DHF 2.5wt / DHR2 2.3 and a 180mm dropper.

It climbs better in terms of almost no bob (haven’t bothered with the climb setting) and it really whips through corners, although it is a little more prone to lifting the front wheel on really steep climbs (I sized down from an ML to an M).

Downhill so far all good – I’m more confident in the front wheel grip and I got loads of pbs the second time at Cwmcarn – even down the Pedalhounds Dh ish track.

When I did a more mellow’lockdown’ local ride it felt ok there too. The Aeris would have made the local trails a bit more dumbed down.

It’s exactly what I was after on what I’ve ridden so far. A first uplift day will show where it maybe slower than the full enduro bike I had before. When lockdown eases (hopefully with some dry weather still before the winter) I’m getting a day off work to go to black mountain cycle centre on it…..

Edit – got the raw one –
    It’s the only choice surely? Just really want my black Lyriks to be red ones

That’s interesting.

I’ve got a 145LT and I love it, but I do fancy a Aether7

It’s a crying same my Mrs is so bloody short, I might swap her for a taller one, get her a ML Aether 7 on R2W so I can borrow it. Yeah, 2 kids, Mortgage, years of marriage out the windows so there would be a bit of rough with the smooth.

joebristol

It might just be worth the swap you know….after going on 4 weeks of just being at home with the wife and child Coronavirus might not be the thing that kills someone off!

(Jokes obviously)

benpinnick

@benpinnick is there anything different (other than the head angle) about the front end of the Zero AM vs the AM Boost? I’m not planning to increase the fork travel beyond 150 and obviously it would void the warranty as I presume you didn’t test it at 160mm but I’m curious!

Yeah its totally different other than the material we use. I 100% expect the Aether could pass a test longer than 150, but there’s no point doing it as its just not the bike for it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aether 7’ is closed to new replies.